Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wrote to the Graduate Management Admission Council and was told that the new edition will be available for purchase in July 2005.

Personally, I'm going to wait. Then again, I'm in no rush to take it...so it depends on your situation.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
The questions in the 11th edition is going to differ from the 10th edition. Why not buy and practice on both? Seems like common sense... Unless you are confident that you can ace the GMAT with just the 800 practice questions 11th edition offers.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
In my previous post, I pasted Princeton Review's announcement about the 11th edition's release that I think would explain why buying both the 10th and 11th edition would be redundant.

Currently, the questions on the PP software "largely overlap" with the 10th edition. The PP is free, so if you dload the software right now, you could have most (if not all) of the questions in the 10th edition and save yourself $30. I remember seeing posts from other people saying that you should take the PP tests before reading through the OG because the two overlap so much. The next edition of the PP software (soon to be named GMATPrep) will have no questions that can also be found in the new guides.

Further, I assume the core material in the 10th and 11th editions will be the same, but the 11th edition will include different questions than have been in previous OG editions.

In addition to all of this, there are two supplemental texts that will be published whose questions are not in the 11th edition, but are all in the 10th edition.

As a side note, I'm not just buying the OG 11th edition. I've already bought the Kaplan book w/CD, the Kaplan Verbal and Math workbooks, the Kaplan 800 book, and I'm still looking for more.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It's really good news to know that GMATprep will not overlap the 11th edition. It will clearly change the approach to studying the GMAT in a much positive way.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
"The 11th Edition of The Official Guide for GMAT Review will debut this summer. The 800 questions in the Guide are retired GMAT questions, most of which have NOT appeared in previous editions."

MsStephanie

Dude, what are you smoking? What part of the 'not apeared in previous editions' don't you understand? Maybe you need to work on your RC...

Also, 10th edition contains 1400+ questions. PP pulls (41+37)2= 156 questions from the 10th edition, assuming the PP is linear (not CAT). That is the reason why other posts suggest to take the PP test first, to avoid the contamination of the only true measure of one's GMAT score before the real deal.

Oh, I forgot to mention that PP only gives you a hour and half to review your answers with explanations right after the test.

I hope you are just messing with me by posting this ridiculous message here. People fight hard on this forum to get a 700+ score and the last things they need are obviously false information on this very helpful/insightful forum.

I apologize if I came out too harsh. I might even get labeled as a jerk from now on, but I can't stand ignorant people like you.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Toolegittoquit, I believe Stephanie is just expressing her point of view and I don't think she is trying to induce anyone in error here. From a RC point of view, Stephanie is saying that the CORE material will most likely be similar and hence her personal opinion and strategy on not buying both editions; she is not in any way suggesting anyone not to buy both editions altogether.

"The 11th Edition of The Official Guide for GMAT Review will debut this summer. The 800 questions in the Guide are retired GMAT questions, most of which have NOT appeared in previous editions."

I understand the point you make stressing "NOT appeared" but take note that the sentence also says "most of which" which also means that some questions will be repetitive and hence stephanie's claim that "the core material will be similar".

Furthermore, I would like to point out that PP does have more than 156 questions in its question bank from which it draws its adaptive test format.

Please refrain from using an unnappropriate conversation tone as we pride ourselves in having a friendly learning environment. I understand that you apoligized in advance but such harsh comments should not be in the first place. Thank you.

Originally posted by Paul on 29 Jul 2005, 12:59.
Last edited by Paul on 29 Jul 2005, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I may be a new member on this forum, but I am not stupid, which is what your post seemed to imply...

I do not know exactly how many questions the PP has because I've never taken the GMAT before, and I've never downloaded the software. However, if the current software is composed of questions from edition 10, and the two supplemental texts that are being released have questions that are all found in edition 10, it is my personal opinion that there would be quite a bit of overlap between the PP, the supplemental texts, and edition 10. That is why although the article said most of the questions in edition 11 have not appeared in previous editions, I noted that there are 3 different sources pulling questions from the 10th edition, and that buying the 10th edition could be redundant. I'm assuming the material in the supplemental texts could add more insight than the material in the 10th edition that I am hypothesizing could be the basis for edition 11.

Though your post brings out valid points, I believe you could have responded in a much more constructive way than to call me ignorant and my post ridiculous. I understand that people work very hard to get a 700+ score. That being said, someone trying to get an MBA should be able to think for themselves and know that posts on this forum are suggestions and helpful tips that are usually rooted in the personal opinion of the person who is writing the message. I did not post any false information, I merely posted an article and gave my interpretation of what it meant and how I was going to handle my preparation for taking the test.

I did not tell anyone that my way is the only path to success. I gave a suggestion. I believe in this forum, as I know many people have taken advantage of its members' experiences to achieve their goals. I sincerely hope no one else shares your sentiment.

Finally, and above all, I believe in treating others on this forum with respect and decency.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Which one is better... [#permalink]
hello ...

I got kaplan2004 with CD.
PR2004 with CD
PP test - 2
gmat 800

i need to buy the OG..so which edition should i prurchase ?? 10th or the 11th ???

I am aiming for something between 600-650....

Thanx
Regards
Jinesh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
OG 11th Edition is for sale! [#permalink]
The Official Guide (11th Edition) is on sale now.

Go to https://www.mba.com/mba/Store

The new verbal and math books are available as well.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am thinking about purchasing the verbal workbook, since my verbal needs a lot of work. Most importantly, I think we'd all appreciate thoughts/comments from members who got their hands on these new materials.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]