Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.59
WE:Project Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: My journey ends here - 730(Q49V40) - THAT weird feeling [#permalink]
Cool to see some guys from Belgium doing a GMAT as well! I have my test planned on the 8th of May :) How is the test center like btw?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
lamberreke wrote:
Cool to see some guys from Belgium doing a GMAT as well! I have my test planned on the 8th of May :) How is the test center like btw?

The address is the one given by the centre, but make sure to be well on time since the door is locked, so you have pretty much to wait for someone to enter/leave to get in. You might want to knock or whatever if no one is coming ...

The center is ok, the offices inside the building are in fact really interesting as they host some promising start-ups ! The overall atmosphere is therefore really relax and 'intellectual'. Howerver there isnt any soundproof device in the testing room, which does not look like in the Pearson Vue video. Also, the paper and pen do not work well so you can not erase anything. It isn't much of a problem as you will be provided a sufficient number of them.

There is one important advice I would give to the Belgian test takers and whom it may concern:

Take the test as late as possible ! WHY ? I took the latest slot available for a simple reason : I did not want to be annoyed by others' people noise

-> The idea of having someone typing his or her AWA during the quant or the verbal was just painful to me so I made sure to be the last one to take the test !

btw: If anyone from Belgium is interested in buying the MGMAT set or the OG13 please pm me :) SOLD

Good luck to the both of you

Originally posted by fonda1957 on 16 Apr 2013, 14:11.
Last edited by fonda1957 on 26 Dec 2013, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Expert Reply
Felicitations fonda1957, il y a beaucoup de monde qui pense que tu dois etre anglophone pour bien reussir cet examen. Je suis heureux de voir que tu reussis bien en tant que francophone. Je vais utiliser ton exemple pour mes eleves francophones ici au Quebec! Merci pour les details de ton sejour.

*brief translation*
I just thanked fonda1957 for his debrief and told him that he's an inspiration for non-English speakers (in this case Francophones) who want to take the exam.

-Ron
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
Felicitations fonda1957, il y a beaucoup de monde qui pense que tu dois etre anglophone pour bien reussir cet examen. Je suis heureux de voir que tu reussis bien en tant que francophone. Je vais utiliser ton exemple pour mes eleves francophones ici au Quebec! Merci pour les details de ton sejour.

*brief translation*
I just thanked fonda1957 for his debrief and told him that he's an inspiration for non-English speakers (in this case Francophones) who want to take the exam.

-Ron

As I mentionned in a PM, the verbal does not really test one's English.

Allow me to explain myself: SC is extremely specific and is not a great indicator of your english knowledge, CR is only about logic.

The only real advantage of native speaker lies in the ability to read quicly the RC and spot the subtle details in the passages. But again, this can be trained by reading a lot of English material (I read the entire "A song of ice and fire" serie, which has nothing to do with sciences nor economics but helped me develop my reading speed and general skills)

My only advice is : YES a great (scored a V47 in a gmatprep) verbal score can be obtained, but you need to be an excellent reader and a quick analytical thinker.

Only solution : read...

And in order to read a lot, read things you are passionate about !

Bien à toi ;)
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
fonda1957 wrote:
VeritasPrepRon wrote:

*brief translation*

-Ron

As I mentionned in a PM, the verbal does not really test one's English.

Allow me to explain myself: SC is extremely specific and is not a great indicator of your english knowledge, CR is only about logic.

The only real advantage of native speaker lies in the ability to read quicly the RC and spot the subtle details in the passages. But again, this can be trained by reading a lot of English material (I read the entire "A song of ice and fire" serie, which has nothing to do with sciences nor economics but helped me develop my reading speed and general skills)

My only advice is : YES a great (scored a V47 in a gmatprep) verbal score can be obtained, but you need to be an excellent reader and a quick analytical thinker.

Only solution : read...

And in order to read a lot, read things you are passionate about !

Bien à toi ;)

I agree but I hear many non-native English speakers mention it as a concern, so I like having examples to illustrate that being an anglophone is not a requirement for a top score. In fact, for those who speak both English and French, French has a lot more rules of grammar to learn and apply, so in a sense they have an advantage on verbal versus students who are used to their whole lives being in English without as much formal structure.

Thanks!
-Ron
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
lamberreke wrote:

The Brussels test center is not as advertised in the gmat official video test center tour. There is no wall absorbing noise to separate each other.. We dont receive headphones either but ear plug... Erasable scratch board is not convenient to work on at all.. I was really pissed to take this kind of test in such a test taking environment. Ill be retaking the test on may 8th as well ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 please excuse me for any errors in typing
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
someone's obviously applying to st gallen ;)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TheBronx wrote:

You created an account to write that ? :)

Guilty as charged though... I still managed to send my documents the very last day within deadlines and one was missing :| (a problem with my pdf files)
They were kind enough to point it out and gave me the opportunity to send it today !

Are you applying as well ?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
fonda1957 wrote:
TheBronx wrote:

Guilty as charged though... I still managed to send my documents the very last day within deadlines and one was missing :| (a problem with my pdf files)
They were kind enough to point it out and gave me the opportunity to send it today !

haha i've been meaning to join for a while, i guess seeing your post gave me the impetus i needed!

good for you man, st gallen looks brilliant. are you applying to any other unis?

not this year mate, i still have more than two years of my undergrad left; i just want to get this GMAT rubbish out of the way :m16
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TheBronx wrote:
fonda1957 wrote:
TheBronx wrote:

haha i've been meaning to join for a while, i guess seeing your post gave me the impetus i needed!

good for you man, st gallen looks brilliant. are you applying to any other unis?

not this year mate, i still have more than two years of my undergrad left; i just want to get this GMAT rubbish out of the way :m16

As much as I want to study abroad, I have not found any other universities that really interest me in terms of situation/curriculum/tuition fees etc. So I have taken the 'bet' to apply only for the SiM programme. Despite knowing that it might be the hardest one to get in :roll:
If I am not admitted (which is very likely), I might take a gap year and apply again next year for SiM and other programmes in order to have "plan b's".

Good luck on your study of the GMAT
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts