Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Inferencex            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [76]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V36
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [34]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Continuous indoor fluorescent light benefits the health of hamsters wi [#permalink]
I would say B. Hamster with "inherited ...". The recovery of the patients depend on whether their illnesses are inherited or not.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: Continuous indoor fluorescent light benefits the health of hamsters wi [#permalink]
Tough one. Have to read the argument thrice! Anyone knows how to improve reading comprehension??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 570 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
 Q45  V42
Send PM
You can improve your reading comp, but I don't know how much it will help you critical reasoning (which this question type is). I imagine it won't hurt.

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
I would go with B, as there seems to be some connection with flourescent lights and better health. I found this question a little off, but that's just me.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I think that the question is about using the same method of the research: with light, the hamsters life longer, than with light and dark.

In A, you can use let the industrial workers to work by sunlight and by fluorescent, and see in which case they perform better --> same method.

Do u know what i mean?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
A,C and E are all irrelevent. B and D made some sense, but B is better hence i picked it.
Very stupid question though.. what's the Source?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
I also chose (B) as answer. Most of the choices mentioned either light or darkness, only option B mention the cause-effect of lighting on human (we always use hamster or rats to test before applying on human).

Cause: light vs darkness => lighting
Effect: Health benefit on hamster => recovery of human

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
Continuous indoor fluorescent light benefits the health of hamsters wi [#permalink]
sudeep wrote:
Continuous indoor fluorescent light benefits the health of hamsters with inherited heart disease. A group of them exposed to continuous fluorescent light survived twenty-five percent longer than a similar group exposed instead to equal periods of indoor fluorescent light and of darkness.

The method of the research described above is most likely to be applicable in addressing which of the following questions?

(A) Can industrial workers who need to see their work do so better by sunlight or by fluorescent light?
(B) Can hospital lighting be improved to promote the recovery of patients?
(C) How do deep-sea fish survive in total darkness?
(D) What are the inherited illnesses to which hamsters are subject?
(E) Are there plants that require specific periods of darkness in order to bloom?

I have two problems with the question..

1. is this method of reasoning question ?
or an evaluate type one..

2. why we can't answer D, because its the one that is talking about "hamsters' inherited illnesses"
usually we should stick to the core of the passage's subject, right ?
Why introduce plants or some other type of species, if this Is an evaluate the type question.­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Send PM
Continuous indoor fluorescent light benefits the health of hamsters wi [#permalink]
Shrey9 wrote:
sudeep wrote:
Continuous indoor fluorescent light benefits the health of hamsters with inherited heart disease. A group of them exposed to continuous fluorescent light survived twenty-five percent longer than a similar group exposed instead to equal periods of indoor fluorescent light and of darkness.

The method of the research described above is most likely to be applicable in addressing which of the following questions?

(A) Can industrial workers who need to see their work do so better by sunlight or by fluorescent light?
(E) Are there plants that require specific periods of darkness in order to bloom?

I have two problems with the question..

1. is this method of reasoning question ?
or an evaluate type one..

2. why we can't answer D, because its the one that is talking about "hamsters' inherited illnesses"
usually we should stick to the core of the passage's subject, right ?
Why introduce plants or some other type of species, if this Is an evaluate the type question.

Question : method of the research described above is most likely to be applicable in addressing which of the following questions
So the method of research as described in the question is : healing disease of hamster using light (light that is a) continuous fluorescent b) 1/2 fluorescent+1/2 darkness and a) turns out to be better)
so see in option B we can use the same method of experiment to check if the light can improve the recovery and in no other option there is any direct method-experiment connection of 'light->heal' as such.­
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Although I agree B is the closest but Paragraph talks about longevity not about the faster recovery !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
LoneSurvivor wrote:
Although I agree B is the closest but Paragraph talks about longevity not about the faster recovery !

Hey, LoneSurvivor :)
I share you point, but among the rest of the answers B is plausible contender.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
sudeep wrote:

GMATNinja,
Although experts have posted here the explanation for the answer of this OG questio, I am NOT convinced and not able to train my mind to eliminate option D. :(
Your help - in explaining the answer choices in your won words & style - is greatly admired. :please:
Waiting for your post on this.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63651 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheGraceful wrote:
sudeep wrote:

GMATNinja,
Although experts have posted here the explanation for the answer of this OG questio, I am NOT convinced and not able to train my mind to eliminate option D. :(
Your help - in explaining the answer choices in your won words & style - is greatly admired. :please:
Waiting for your post on this.

The prompt asks which question posed in an answer choice could be addressed by the method of research described in the passage. To answer this, we must first identify what exactly that method of research is.

The passage describes exposing two different groups of sick hamsters to different patterns of light. One group is exposed to continuous fluorescent light, and the other is exposed to equal periods of fluorescent light and darkness.

With that in mind, let’s take a look at (D):

Quote:

So, will exposing some hamsters to continuous fluorescent light and others to equal periods of fluorescent light and darkness show what the inherited diseases of those hamsters are? No. That method of research would not help identify which diseases those hamsters have. Even if it were to show which hamsters had inherited diseases, we still wouldn’t know what those inherited illnesses are. For that reason, we can eliminate (D).

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [1]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
The prompt asks which question posed in an answer choice could be addressed by the method of research described in the passage. To answer this, we must first identify what exactly that method of research is.

The passage describes exposing two different groups of sick hamsters to different patterns of light. One group is exposed to continuous fluorescent light, and the other is exposed to equal periods of fluorescent light and darkness.

With that in mind, let’s take a look at (D):

Quote:

So, will exposing some hamsters to continuous fluorescent light and others to equal periods of fluorescent light and darkness show what the inherited diseases of those hamsters are? No. That method of research would not help identify which diseases those hamsters have. Even if it were to show which hamsters had inherited diseases, we still wouldn’t know what those inherited illnesses are. For that reason, we can eliminate (D).

I hope that helps!

Thank you sir,
This definitely is helpful. Thank you very much.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
sudeep wrote:

Hello Expert

In the stated question, it has been asked which "method of the research" is similar. From my understanding, the passage claims to have 2 groups (of hamsters) exposed to different conditions and then comparing a single quantifiable trait from both groups, after the experiment is over.

In Option A, the industrial works can be separated into 2 groups and one can be exposed to sunlight and 1 to fluorescent light, to compare the performance in the 2 groups. This is exactly the method of research used in the paragraph.

However, in the OA Option B, we have not been given what lights are we comparing, could be 2, could be 100. And we also do not know what condition we could be checking, Could be heart or lungs, we don't know. So the method of research specified will not work in this case as their are too many variables involved.

Can you please help with this.

mikemcgarry
GMATNinja
GMATNinjaTwo
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Isn't the question asking us to focus on the "method of research" vs. "actual healing effect of the light"? I think A makes more sense. Hear me out: the argument in question shows that they tested the benefit of something by doing 2 tests - 1 with the light and 2nd with/ without the light. Isn't that exactly what is happening in 'A'?

mikemcgarry wrote:
sudeep wrote:

Quote:
Hi Mike, Can you kindly provide the explanation for this question. Waiting eagerly for your valuable inputs. Regards, Fame

Fame,
So, the hamsters have an inherited disease, and 24 hr/day of fluorescent light helps them more than 1/2 fluorescent light and 1/2 darkness. Something about the light promotes healing more than the darkness. Is fluorescent light better than sunlight? We don't know, that's not addressed. We are exploring some connection between light (either time of light or kind of light) and healing.

Total distractor. Nothing in the prompt is about comparing different kinds of light, or about perception instead of healing.

The effect of light on healing --- this is a promising one.

Admittedly, this is somewhat paradoxical, given this prompt. This one, though, is not specifically about healing, about immune function. Also, these fish have evolved to live in total darkness, so presumably their response to light would be quite different from that of an animal (such as a hamster or a human) that has evolved in ordinary circadian rhythms of light. It's not clear whether the hamster study would "shed any light" on how these fish survive.

Another great distractor. This has nothing about light, which is clearly the central point of the prompt. Other inherited disease that hamsters could get ---that sounds like a huge topic, and presumable some of them would have nothing to do with exposure to light. It's not clear that the methods of research presented in this prompt would be helpful here.

The prompt was looking at how light, and availability of light, promotes healing, that is to say, immune response. This is about plants, not animals --- a huge different biologically. This is about what might be helpful about darkness, not light. This concerns, not the immune system in particular, but the ordinary life-cycle of a plant. It's not well connected to the research about hamsters.
I will say, though, I think this is a flaw in the question. Technically, the question says, "The method of the research described above is most likely to be applicable in addressing which of the following questions?" Well, apart from any context, any of the science concerning healing in hamsters, the bare-bones research method of 24hr light vs. (1/2 light, 1/2 dark) would probably be exactly what you would have to use to test the hypothesis about plants needing light to bloom. I can see whoever wrote the question did not intend for this to be the answer, but whoever wrote the question did not do a particularly good job with diction, especially in that final prompt question. Technically, "method of research" could be the specific design of this experiment, which would make (E) a credible answer.

(B) is clearly the answer the question authored wanted, but because the prompt was not worded well, (E) is also a credible answer. I have no idea what the source of this question is, but I would say --- this is a faulty CR question. In a well-written question, you would not have a "loophole" answer such as this.

That's my 2¢
Mike :-)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts