Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2260 [3]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [6]
Given Kudos: 130
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [5]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: Necessary Condition [#permalink]
Let me take a shot :o
A necessary condition can be defined as an event or circumstance whose occurrence is required in order for a sufficient condition to
Occur.

Example: When I run for a mile or more, I get breathless. I don't get breathless any other time.

Necessary - To run for a mile or more..
Sufficient - To know that I was breathless..implying I must have run a mile or more..

The assumption underlying a conditional statement is that the necessary condition must occur in order for the sufficient condition to occur.

Example: People who work very hard score well on the GMAT. Rick scored a 700+ on the GMAT, so he must have worked hard.

Sufficient: 700+ on the GMAT
Necessary: worked hard

Assumption is that Rick worked hard to get his GMAT 700+ score..

Let me know if it makes sense ... I am a retake junkie who aspires to get better at CR :D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 329
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '23 (M)
GRE 1: Q170 V163
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
A sufficient condition can be defined as an event or [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
fameatop wrote:
A sufficient condition can be defined as an event or circumstance whose occurrence indicates that a necessary condition must also occur.
A necessary condition can be defined as an event or circumstance whose occurrence is required in order for a sufficient condition to
Occur.

If a sufficient condition occurs, it means that the necessary condition MUST occur. But if a necessary condition occurs, then it is possible but not certain that the sufficient condition will occur.
The assumption underlying a conditional statement is that the necessary condition must occur in order for the sufficient condition to occur.

Can somebody explain the meaning of highlighted sentence in the light of 3 statements mentioned above. If possible, kindly explain with proper examples.

Fame

I'm happy to help. :-)

First of all, keep in mind that "necessary & sufficient are complementary conditions -----
If A is necessary for B, then B is sufficient for A.
Let A = the car has gas in its tank
B = one can turn this car on and drive it from place to place
OR
A = polygon is a rectangle
B = polygon is a square
OR
A = I am in California
B = I am in San Francisco, CA

Now, your sentence: "If a sufficient condition occurs, it means that the necessary condition MUST occur. But if a necessary condition occurs, then it is possible but not certain that the sufficient condition will occur."
If the car moves, then it must have gas. If all you know is that the car has gas, it may or may not turn on (what if the battery is missing?)
If the polygon is square, it is definitely a rectangle as well. If the polygon is a rectangle, then it may or may not be a square.
If I am in SF, I'm definitely in CA, but if I'm in CA, I could be a number of places other than SF ---- LA, San Diego, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, etc etc.

The terms "necessary" and "sufficient" are alternate ways of phrasing "if-then" statements. The following four statements all say the same thing:
(1) If P, then Q
(2) Only if Q, then P.
(3) P is necessary for Q
(4) Q is sufficient for P

Incidentally, this is why "J if and only if K" is equivalent to "J is necessary and sufficient for K".

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)

Hi mikemcgarry,

Sorry for digging up such an old thread. I was reading this post and I think there is an error here. From what I understand, If (Sufficient Condition), then (Necessary Condition). Meaning P = Sufficient Condition and Q = Necessary Condition.

Then, shouldn't (3) be Q is necessary for P and (4) P is sufficient for Q. I spent nearly 20 mins trying to understand that and then googled it. Here is what I found on Wikipedia. ""If P then Q", Q is necessary for P, because P cannot be true unless Q is true. Similarly, "P is sufficient for Q" because P being true always implies that Q is true, but P not being true does not always imply that Q is not true." Here is the link to the article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necessity_and_sufficiency

Let me know if I'm mistaken. Thank you.

Originally posted by behappy24 on 21 Oct 2019, 04:37.
Last edited by behappy24 on 02 Feb 2021, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Re: A sufficient condition can be defined as an event or [#permalink]
Hello Team
I have a doubt in Sufficient condition
For Eg : If you work hard, you'll succeed.
what if you have succeeded?
ans - we cannot say anything
Is this because there can be other sufficient conditions that led to the success or hard work ( sufficient condition) led to the success?
What if you haven't succeeded?
Ans - You haven't worked hard
can someone explain this ans ?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts