Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT Date: 08-07-2012
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Kelley,Indianapolis or Anderderson, New Mexico [#permalink]
Kudos
lingcon71 wrote:
wolf124 wrote:
What are your plans? Where do you want to work?

I am and Anderson undergrad but intend to do a masters out of state. I can try to answer any questions about Anderson you might have.

I have no preference over states. I almost know nothing about the job opportunity of New Mexico or Indianapolis. Which state will give an MS in accounting graduate better opportunity? How Anderson graduates are doing in New Mexico and in other states?
Can you please give insight in terms of BIG 4 and other financial or multinational companies?

Moreover, is it possible to manage $19000 working on campus at Anderson as grad student?

Right off the bat, if you are looking for Big 4 as well as large industry firms, UNM isn't going to be for you. Recruitment is a bit lacking to say the least. I majority of the public accounting recruiting goes to KPMG, Moss Adams, Clifton Larson Allen, and REDW. No other large accounting firms recruit here. Also, the offices the firms I mentioned recruit for are not large offices, so you will be competing for a small number of spots with the states 2 public universities and a few schools in Colorado.

Now, if you are okay taking a job at a small company here in New Mexico, or a state job, then okay. But a warning, NM can be very insular.

The way UNM grads get jobs outside of state is by making connections early on in the their undergrad and leverage them into positions later on. The reason I am going to do a masters at a better program is to capitalize on that programs recruiting.

I suggest taking your other offer because it gives you access to larger markets. However, I can't say anything about their recruiting.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wolf124 wrote:
Right off the bat, if you are looking for Big 4 as well as large industry firms, UNM isn't going to be for you. Recruitment is a bit lacking to say the least. I majority of the public accounting recruiting goes to KPMG, Moss Adams, Clifton Larson Allen, and REDW. No other large accounting firms recruit here. Also, the offices the firms I mentioned recruit for are not large offices, so you will be competing for a small number of spots with the states 2 public universities and a few schools in Colorado.

Now, if you are okay taking a job at a small company here in New Mexico, or a state job, then okay. But a warning, NM can be very insular.

The way UNM grads get jobs outside of state is by making connections early on in the their undergrad and leverage them into positions later on. The reason I am going to do a masters at a better program is to capitalize on that programs recruiting.

I suggest taking your other offer because it gives you access to larger markets. However, I can't say anything about their recruiting.

Kudos. Then, may be I will be going to Kelley.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
I'd go to Kelley hands down. The 6k or so isn't that much of a difference in the long run and Kelley is a very well-known school and near bigger markets. If down the road you want to switch into industry finance or even investment banking, Kelley also has a really good network for those positions as well and you will at least be able to tap into that network. IMO, Kelley is in a similar tier of schools as UT-Austin, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame, UNC, Virginia, etc. for masters of accounting schools where if you get into one of those, you should probably go there unless you're dead-set on purely accounting as a career (and your local school has enough recruiting for the B4) or the cost is just too prohibitive. Schools like these will not only give you a greater than 50-50 chance with any of the B4, but they will also open up doors to just about any office in the nation based on the prestige of the school, they will give you an outside chance at Advisory roles at the B4 (aka not just audit/tax but the higher-paying, more interesting jobs as well), and will give you a really good network to reach out to if you decide to change your mind about accounting.

Good luck with your decision.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
brooksbrahs wrote:
I'd go to Kelley hands down. The 6k or so isn't that much of a difference in the long run and Kelley is a very well-known school and near bigger markets. If down the road you want to switch into industry finance or even investment banking, Kelley also has a really good network for those positions as well and you will at least be able to tap into that network. IMO, Kelley is in a similar tier of schools as UT-Austin, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame, UNC, Virginia, etc. for masters of accounting schools where if you get into one of those, you should probably go there unless you're dead-set on purely accounting as a career (and your local school has enough recruiting for the B4) or the cost is just too prohibitive. Schools like these will not only give you a greater than 50-50 chance with any of the B4, but they will also open up doors to just about any office in the nation based on the prestige of the school, they will give you an outside chance at Advisory roles at the B4 (aka not just audit/tax but the higher-paying, more interesting jobs as well), and will give you a really good network to reach out to if you decide to change your mind about accounting.

Good luck with your decision.

Kudos! But,I wonder whether Kelley, Indianapolis and Kelly, Bloomington are of the same level and whether Kelley,Indianapolis can be compared with UT-Austin/Notre Dame.

Note: I got the offer from Kelley,Indianapolis.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts