Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you plan on becoming a CPA, a masters of accounting seems like a logical step. I would not be too concerned if there is some overlap between your MS and an eventual MBA since this overlap can give you an advantage over other students when competing for top grades.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks for the reply hjort,

yeah the overlap will be inevitable. i would like to also think that a MS + CPA will give me a substantial basis for the fundamentals in the rigor of an MBA. my main concern though is - wouldn't i be considered 'too common' or just another accountant when applying to a top MBA, since most applicants with an accounting background will have a CPA or at least MS??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Alternatives [#permalink]
Kayser_sore,

My opinion is this (my background - fmr. mgr at PwC, CPA from MA)

1. MS in Accountancy would be redundant - All of the expertise you need to work at the Big Five is learned at the undergraduate level. Once obtaining your certification, it is equivalent to a MS in Accounting (especially with your Big4 experience).

2. I think you would be better served with a master's
degree in finance or economics - The choice of your degree is highly dependent on what your plans are re: MBA
Intern
Intern
Send PM
One more thing [#permalink]
Do not get the CMA certification - it is a bit redundant (and it is presumed that as a CPA that you understand management accounting) ...

If you are interested in an alternative that would show your ability to handle graduate material - you should consider the CFA certification - it is difficult but it has many rewards (especially in the Inv Mgmt community). It is looked upon highly favorably by MBA admission committees as a testament to self -learning and academic acumen.

Good luck - it will be an exciting ride
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: One more thing [#permalink]
thairakthai wrote:

If you are interested in an alternative that would show your ability to handle graduate material - you should consider the CFA certification - it is difficult but it has many rewards (especially in the Inv Mgmt community).

I was aspired to take a CFA level 1 course.

But

When I've asked all of my finance TAs about the CFA and they didn't know anything about it. "With a finance degree is all you need..."

Originally posted by actudiant1 on 08 Feb 2005, 12:36.
Last edited by actudiant1 on 08 Feb 2005, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
The response of your TAs could stem from the fact that the CFA is a "postgraduate" certification and thus people usually pursue it a few years after leaving college. Further, since it is a professional certification your TAs might not be as familiar with it as a more conventional academic certification (ie a degree).

Hjort
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Alternatives [#permalink]
thairakthai wrote:
Kayser_sore,

My opinion is this (my background - fmr. mgr at PwC, CPA from MA)

1. MS in Accountancy would be redundant - All of the expertise you need to work at the Big Five is learned at the undergraduate level. Once obtaining your certification, it is equivalent to a MS in Accounting (especially with your Big4 experience).

2. I think you would be better served with a master's
degree in finance or economics - The choice of your degree is highly dependent on what your plans are re: MBA

thanks for you advice - can u share some more on your background - schoo/previous experience before PWC . thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
can anyone share more info on the CFA examination and cerification process ? what are the benefits and career paths? i am really unfamiliar with it and i would appreciate it if someone could share their view.

kayser
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm sure that Kayser has already seen this but others might find this useful:

https://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprogram/

https://www.analystforum.com/121304.shtml

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
CMA certification [#permalink]
Although there is some tendency to assume that CPA's know management accounting, the line between financial and managerial accounting is becoming thicker and thicker.

The IMA (Institute of Management Accountants) is reworking the CMA examination, making it harder, as well as selling it as a valuable asset. It's becoming more recognized over time, specially in private corporations (where most accountats want to work after being beat up by Big 4 for a few years). IBM stresses it and contracts professors from top universities to teach CMA courses throughout the year.

Also, if you've already passed the CPA, the IMA waives the financial section of the CMA exam.
GMAT Club Bot
CMA certification [#permalink]
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts