Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Re: Screwed my Gmat.. 620 it is!! be kind to read & reply [#permalink]
swarman wrote:
hmm.. thanks highwyre237

I really wanted to know how should i study now to ensure my Verbal improves.. You gave it thrice you say, did you not get pissed off.. you know i mean.. studying the same thing.. again n again.. tht frustration.. that demotivation tht sinks in at times.. how did u cope with tht??

Oh it was brutal. I hated it...

I coped with it be staying focused on the goal. Honestly, at that point it wasn't "Get into school X" the goal was "break 700." I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. I wanted to prove to myself that I had the ability to get over that first hurdle in order to legitimize my chances of getting into a top program to myself. Most people take this test more then once. Don't feel defeated.

The gmat is horrible... it torture... I think I started studying for it in September of 2011, and took it for a 3rd time in February of 2012. So, around 5 or 6 months of Studying on and off... Believe me, I understand how you're feeling. Just stay focused on the goal, once you achieve the score you're trying for, it'll all be worth it.

Verbal wise, which part is the most difficult for you? MGMAT SC guide is the best for sentence correction. For RC, I think it's all about which strategy works for you... mine was always read slowly, read once, and don’t get lost in the notes you take There is also always this strategy but it didn't work for me... For CR, treat it like a logic problem, here are some great tips on CR. The key is, figure out which type of problem it is... and then use common sense.

If the issue is a lack of an overall grasp of the english language, your best bet may be reading daily papers and magazines like the wall street journal, ny times, the new yorker, and business week.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Expert Reply
swarman wrote:
Well.. Had my exam 3 days back.. During my prep tests i would get score between 650-670.. I had heard tht the actual exam pressure makes ur mind work faster and you CAN score more than your mocks too..that kept me motivated ( my goal was around 700;seemed achievable). during my mocks My quant was pretty good 49 but in english would score around 30/31.. and mainly my answers which would mess my score would be from RC.
Few days before my exam, when i had reached my saturation and i had stopped studying at all, I would just study tips for RC (specially)- including making summarised notes per para,understanding significance of each para, etc etc. I thought of applying this on my D- Day, which back fired ofcourse. I started understanding RC clearly by giving it more time and making notes, thinking it shall help to improve my score. All this made me run behind time. and obviously in the end i was left with something like 15 mins 8 ques.. i STILL thought i could do it.. until came the UNEXPECTED FOURTH RC.. and BOOM.. it left me no time after that.. i m soo sure all the 8 questions in the end were wrong.. i ended up with 620 Q49 V26!!!

Well, i am sad.. very upset.. dunno what to do.. all the hardwork of 3 months feels like going down the drain.. i dunno what to do now! how can i accomplish my goal, which seems farther now?? any tips.. any sort of motivation would do.. :(

P.s.- all this while i was under this belief that during a retake the best of ur score is taken into consideration until today somebdy mentioned that the average is taken.. PLS tell me whts true? coz if it is the latter one.. i m jumping off the roof right now!! (dun wry not literally :( )

Please be kind and reply

God bless

Hi Swarman, first off, congrats on the very high quant score. It sounds like you just need to get your verbal score up a little and that 700 is within sight.

For the verbal, I'm a little confused, though. It seems that RC is your weakest topic, but you've been taking steps to get better at it. The idea of writing down key points and high level summaries of each paragraph is a good one, but don't get bogged down in too much detail. A couple of words suffice. You can also practice without writing anything down, just noting the key elements in your head. This saves time and helps maintain focus during a long exam, but it's not necessarily easy for everyone. With a little practice you might find it easier than writing down notes, or you might decide it's not an efficient strategy for you.

As for the timing, you mentioned that you had 15 minutes for the final 8 questions. If you do the math, you'll see that you're right on pace for a 41 question/75 minute exam (in fact slightly AHEAD of the pace!) If you break the exam down into 5 sections of 15 minutes, you need to answer 8.2 questions in each block! It sounds like you might have panicked a bit. Obviously, panicking can negatively affect your score. Some people overperform on the exam and get a score higher than any of their practice tests. Similarly, some people underperform. It's not the end of the world, but it sounds like you're well positioned to do better on this exam than your score indicates. If you want to take it again, keep up the quant and just resist the urge to panic on verbal. You should see your score rise significantly if you can maintain control of your nerves during the exam. It's just like another practice test, be confident in your abilities and you'll be happy with the end result.

Hope this helps!
-Ron
Intern
Intern
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
swarman wrote:
hmm.. thanks highwyre237

I really wanted to know how should i study now to ensure my Verbal improves.. You gave it thrice you say, did you not get pissed off.. you know i mean.. studying the same thing.. again n again.. tht frustration.. that demotivation tht sinks in at times.. how did u cope with tht??

Oh it was brutal. I hated it...

I coped with it be staying focused on the goal. Honestly, at that point it wasn't "Get into school X" the goal was "break 700." I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. I wanted to prove to myself that I had the ability to get over that first hurdle in order to legitimize my chances of getting into a top program to myself. Most people take this test more then once. Don't feel defeated.

The gmat is horrible... it torture... I think I started studying for it in September of 2011, and took it for a 3rd time in February of 2012. So, around 5 or 6 months of Studying on and off... Believe me, I understand how you're feeling. Just stay focused on the goal, once you achieve the score you're trying for, it'll all be worth it.

Verbal wise, which part is the most difficult for you? MGMAT SC guide is the best for sentence correction. For RC, I think it's all about which strategy works for you... mine was always read slowly, read once, and don’t get lost in the notes you take There is also always this strategy but it didn't work for me... For CR, treat it like a logic problem, here are some great tips on CR. The key is, figure out which type of problem it is... and then use common sense.

If the issue is a lack of an overall grasp of the english language, your best bet may be reading daily papers and magazines like the wall street journal, ny times, the new yorker, and business week.

Yeah highwyre237..

You are right.. I think i need to work on my Verbal from the start.. RC/SC/CR.. everything irrespective of my comfort level with these.. For all these i did try ManG's you know. Yet i dunno.. how should i get to work on my basis.Do you know of something else which might help? And certainly i need to revive my reading habits, been quite outta touch..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
swarman wrote:
Well.. Had my exam 3 days back.. During my prep tests i would get score between 650-670.. I had heard tht the actual exam pressure makes ur mind work faster and you CAN score more than your mocks too..that kept me motivated ( my goal was around 700;seemed achievable). during my mocks My quant was pretty good 49 but in english would score around 30/31.. and mainly my answers which would mess my score would be from RC.
Few days before my exam, when i had reached my saturation and i had stopped studying at all, I would just study tips for RC (specially)- including making summarised notes per para,understanding significance of each para, etc etc. I thought of applying this on my D- Day, which back fired ofcourse. I started understanding RC clearly by giving it more time and making notes, thinking it shall help to improve my score. All this made me run behind time. and obviously in the end i was left with something like 15 mins 8 ques.. i STILL thought i could do it.. until came the UNEXPECTED FOURTH RC.. and BOOM.. it left me no time after that.. i m soo sure all the 8 questions in the end were wrong.. i ended up with 620 Q49 V26!!!

Well, i am sad.. very upset.. dunno what to do.. all the hardwork of 3 months feels like going down the drain.. i dunno what to do now! how can i accomplish my goal, which seems farther now?? any tips.. any sort of motivation would do.. :(

P.s.- all this while i was under this belief that during a retake the best of ur score is taken into consideration until today somebdy mentioned that the average is taken.. PLS tell me whts true? coz if it is the latter one.. i m jumping off the roof right now!! (dun wry not literally :( )

Please be kind and reply

God bless

Hi Swarman, first off, congrats on the very high quant score. It sounds like you just need to get your verbal score up a little and that 700 is within sight.

For the verbal, I'm a little confused, though. It seems that RC is your weakest topic, but you've been taking steps to get better at it. The idea of writing down key points and high level summaries of each paragraph is a good one, but don't get bogged down in too much detail. A couple of words suffice. You can also practice without writing anything down, just noting the key elements in your head. This saves time and helps maintain focus during a long exam, but it's not necessarily easy for everyone. With a little practice you might find it easier than writing down notes, or you might decide it's not an efficient strategy for you.

As for the timing, you mentioned that you had 15 minutes for the final 8 questions. If you do the math, you'll see that you're right on pace for a 41 question/75 minute exam (in fact slightly AHEAD of the pace!) If you break the exam down into 5 sections of 15 minutes, you need to answer 8.2 questions in each block! It sounds like you might have panicked a bit. Obviously, panicking can negatively affect your score. Some people overperform on the exam and get a score higher than any of their practice tests. Similarly, some people underperform. It's not the end of the world, but it sounds like you're well positioned to do better on this exam than your score indicates. If you want to take it again, keep up the quant and just resist the urge to panic on verbal. You should see your score rise significantly if you can maintain control of your nerves during the exam. It's just like another practice test, be confident in your abilities and you'll be happy with the end result.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks alot bud for cheering me up. You are the first person who made me realise that i did well in something atleast!! :) :)

Actually Ron, during my practice for RC i would simply remind those points and then get to business. And my memory would help me cut down the answer options from 5 to 2.. the closest match ones and i would fall for the prey! So basically the strategy of jotting points and everything was directly tried on the D-Day.. Which dint suit me needless to say. I need some more text to go through.. more concepts which can help me lay strong foundation at RC, can you suggest me something??

And darn that timing, when i saw i had 15 questions for 8 minutes , i was still chilled out.. until when i saw the next question appear as a RC- the FOURTH RC, which i did not expect honestly speaking at all and which certainly made me panic . quite alot!! Do you think Its feasible to reach around 700 with whtevr i have told u??

Thanks alot Ron!! :thumbup:
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
i might sound rude, but you are responsible for ur unexpected performance....First of all never take xam if ur not scorn what u want to score...nd u must conform ur consistency only aftr takn three cats frm different test prep houses.....
Another mistake that u did was that u changes ur strategy just before the xam....that nailed the coffin...how can u change ur strategy just few days prior to ur xam.....
Dnt lose hear gear up n take xam in another month and half's time....

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!!!!!!!

Archit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
If you have time and you are confident that u can increase by 40-50 points, then you should retake it. Otherwise, you can end up like me. I was in the same boat too. Scoring good in preps and then on D day 610. I took it again and scored even worse. I was devastated that day but then I pulled all my energy and focused on my essays, and all others parts of application process. I can tell you today, out of 3 schools. I have nailed 2 already and waiting for the last one. So dont get dissapointed. GMAT is not the end of the world. Keep it up
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@Archit143, that wasnt exactly the kinda soft words I was looking for :D. I was getting what i expected in my mocks around 670. Yet you are right about the fact, that I shouldn't have changed my strategy on the D day// *sigh*

@ideafactori-Seriously?? Thats truly awesome :) From where all could you get the good news? (if you dont mind sharing) Best of luck with all your applications!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts