Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Re: How long to confirm acceptance? [#permalink]
Hi and thank you both for the reply.

To be honest, I have been doing some research on this "up and coming" business school, and have read similar concerns from other students who have received an acceptance call/email as well as a scholarship offer, but then put under immense pressure to decide in less than 2 weeks. I am somewhat "iffy" about this school - seeing mixed reviews from current students.

I am awaiting replies from 2 other schools (which would have been my top 2) but I don't expect to hear from them 'til the middle of May, as I just recently submitted my application. I am fairly confident in my acceptance to at least one of these 2 other schools, but I don't want to turn this one down until something else comes in.

I voiced my concern about the short turnaround time for the decision when they first called me, and they made it pretty clear that it is a firm date. I will try to speak to someone else if my "rep" doesn't budge.

Thank you for the replies.....I was just trying to get an idea of what the norm is.

And yes....I am still very grateful to have received an acceptance from at least one school :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
NextChapter wrote:
Hi and thank you both for the reply.

To be honest, I have been doing some research on this "up and coming" business school, and have read similar concerns from other students who have received an acceptance call/email as well as a scholarship offer, but then put under immense pressure to decide in less than 2 weeks. I am somewhat "iffy" about this school - seeing mixed reviews from current students.

I am awaiting replies from 2 other schools (which would have been my top 2) but I don't expect to hear from them 'til the middle of May, as I just recently submitted my application. I am fairly confident in my acceptance to at least one of these 2 other schools, but I don't want to turn this one down until something else comes in.

I voiced my concern about the short turnaround time for the decision when they first called me, and they made it pretty clear that it is a firm date. I will try to speak to someone else if my "rep" doesn't budge.

Thank you for the replies.....I was just trying to get an idea of what the norm is.

And yes....I am still very grateful to have received an acceptance from at least one school :)

Well, is having the option open to attend this school that you are iffy about worth 3500 to you?

First off, try to get an extension on time. If they dont give you one answer that question.

Personally, I wouldn't attend a school I was iffy about. Talk to some current students and alumns, either to calm your nerves, or to confirm you suspicions for sure. You have 9 days to make one of the most important decisions in your life(well, the first step), do your due dilligence
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
It's not too surprising to hear of the desire of the admissions committee to want a commitment quickly at this late date. We are at May 1 now, and time is ticking away.

Part of the reason for the request for a relatively quickly commitment could be that they want to roll your spot to someone on the waiting list if you decline your spot.

The advice here about contacting the school and requesting more time is solid. Be professional, conduct yourself with tact and diplomacy in this request.

The other action you should take is contacting your other two schools and let them know you have an offer from another school with a deadline of X. Ask them if there is any way they can give you the admission decision from their school before X date so that you can consider all of your offers at the same time.

When you contact the school to which you are admitted, you can also let them know that you've asked the other schools to give you a decision more quickly.

In the end, you may have to pay the deposit in order to hold your space. However, there's quite a bit you can do to influence the actions of the respective admissions committees before you get to that point.

Good luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Kudos
Thank you ALL for the detailed feedback and advice.

My dilemma has been solved.......I just received acceptance from my #1 choice!!! :o

6 months of sacrifice and hard work has finally paid off! I am so ecstatic and happy!!

Good luck to everyone else!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Congratulations! Wonderful news!

Now, do you need any advice on how to let the other schools know you won't be coming? ;) JK!

Best of luck to you on your MBA journey!

Wendy
Intern
Intern
MBAAdmissionsCoach wrote:
Congratulations! Wonderful news!

Now, do you need any advice on how to let the other schools know you won't be coming? ;) JK!

Best of luck to you on your MBA journey!

Wendy

HAHA! Actually, I'm thinking this is the perfect opportunity to practice some negotiating skills - in other words, use my new offer to see if I can get a reduction in tuition fees or other incentives from the first school! lol.

Thanks again :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
NextChapter wrote:
Thank you ALL for the detailed feedback and advice.

My dilemma has been solved.......I just received acceptance from my #1 choice!!! :o

6 months of sacrifice and hard work has finally paid off! I am so ecstatic and happy!!

Good luck to everyone else!!

Glad we did have to talk you out of going to a sketchy program :-) Good luck in your MBA!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Ah! Good thinking!

I have a lot of expertise in this area. In my previous position as the Director of MBA Admissions, I was on the other side of the negotiating table for all MBA scholarships. I worked with two clients last month where I coached them to negotiate their scholarship awards. One gained $25,000 to his package, and the other doubled her award from $20,000 to $40,000.

Let me know if you'd like to talk further about this.

Wendy
GMAT Club Bot