Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [40]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [9]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Re: A pair of architects in Britain, who say that giant arches, [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Now on to sub-verb agreement: For the argument that the subject is the singular a pair, May I ask to read the entire text and look for further clues( especially in the non-underlined part) as to whether the subject is singular or plural. This kind of error is easy meat for GMAT, for many jumps to wrong conclusions with just a casual glance
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Zarrolou wrote:
A pair of architects in Britain, who say that giant arches, bridges, and walls made of artificial bone could be easier to design and build than conventional structures, and already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, for showing how their idea would work.

(A) build than conventional structures, and already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, for showing
(B) build than conventional structures, and they have already designed a number of structures, which includes a bridge, to show
(C) build than conventional structures, have already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, to show
(D) also to build than conventional structures, already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, which shows
(E) to build than with conventional structures, have already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, which shows

"A pair of architects in Britain, (...) , and already designed/and they have already" are wrong, the last part cannot follow the first part. Subject , (...), verb is the structure. The same reasoning can be applied to D.
Only C and E respect that structure. E is not the correct answer because:1) comparison "giant arches made of artificial bone could be easier to design than with conventional structures" 2)use of "which" that modifies "bridge" (which cannot show how their idea works).

now this is GMAT like question....and preety well explained by Zarrolou,,but i am also not clear whether a pair of architects is singular or plural..
although i know " a set of mutants" is singular...but here where i am going wrong.

Zarrolou and Daagh ...i request to explain this.

thanks

SKM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
shaileshmishra wrote:

now this is GMAT like question....and preety well explained by Zarrolou,,but i am also not clear whether a pair of architects is singular or plural..
although i know " a set of mutants" is singular...but here where i am going wrong.

thanks

SKM

Before answering I just want to point out that someone must have deleted the original question, because my post is the answer, not the question!

shaileshmishra, you may find this helpful:

Usage Note: The noun pair can be followed by a singular or plural verb. The singular is always used when pair denotes the set taken as a single entity: This pair of shoes is on sale. A plural verb is used when the members are considered as individuals: The pair are working more harmoniously now. After a number other than one, pair itself can be either singular or plural, but the plural is now more common: She bought six pairs (or pair) of stockings.

source :pair

This should carify, let me know
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
Before answering I just want to point out that someone must have deleted the original question, because my post is the answer, not the question!

Usage Note: The noun pair can be followed by a singular or plural verb. The singular is always used when pair denotes the set taken as a single entity: This pair of shoes is on sale. A plural verb is used when the members are considered as individuals: The pair are working more harmoniously now. After a number other than one, pair itself can be either singular or plural, but the plural is now more common: She bought six pairs (or pair) of stockings.

This should carify, let me know

Hi,

sorry mate but not preety clear as when i am unable to distinguish when it is acting as a set and when acting as a individual...but if possible can please give some more examples....

but thanks...

although daagh explanation i got preety clear...it was the catch in the non underlined portion...

thanks to both of you

SKM
Current Student
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
shaileshmishra wrote:

thanks

SKM

hi Zarrolou and daagh,
I think pair goes singular only when we talk about items that consist of both things. What I'm trying to say is that if we say a pair of socks or shoes or lenses then both things form whatever we're talking about. A pair of architects doesn't form any such thing.

hope i am correct...
please suggest

SKM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
shaileshmishra wrote:
Hi,

sorry mate but not preety clear as when i am unable to distinguish when it is acting as a set and when acting as a individual...but if possible can please give some more examples....

but thanks...

although daagh explanation i got preety clear...it was the catch in the non underlined portion...

thanks to both of you

SKM

This is beyond the question.

The usage of pair is not 100% clear, I checked a number of sites and a Rule for its usage it's not unanimous.
Having said so I think that my previous post should be a good rule:

"The singular is always used when pair denotes the set taken as a single entity". No doubt here, "a pair of scissors" denotes a single entity and requires a "is" as verb.
"A plural verb is used when the members are considered as individuals". When you can "split" the members as in this case ("a pair of architects" is not a single set like the scissors) you can use a plural verb. However, and this is the point, in this case both is/are seem correct.

This is what I've found in many web sites. Hope this helps...
Current Student
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
shaileshmishra wrote:
Hi,

but thanks...

thanks to both of you

SKM

This is beyond the question.

The usage of pair is not 100% clear, I checked a number of sites and a Rule for its usage it's not unanimous.
Having said so I think that my previous post should be a good rule:

"The singular is always used when pair denotes the set taken as a single entity". No doubt here, "a pair of scissors" denotes a single entity and requires a "is" as verb.
"A plural verb is used when the members are considered as individuals". When you can "split" the members as in this case ("a pair of architects" is not a single set like the scissors) you can use a plural verb. However, and this is the point, in this case both is/are seem correct.

This is what I've found in many web sites. Hope this helps...

ya zarrolou.....it seems gud....let me encounter some more problem basing this....
thanks anyways...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE:Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
clearly say is mentioned in non-underlined part of sentence which indicates a pair is a plural here.. Giving equal importance to non underlined part plays key role in many meaning based SC questions
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I only said context decides the number in certain cases. Zarrolou has gone a step ahead and elaborated on the plausible contexts. His explanation is more wholesome and focused .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
shaileshmishra wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
A pair of architects in Britain, who say that giant arches, bridges, and walls made of artificial bone could be easier to design and build than conventional structures, and already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, for showing how their idea would work.

(A) build than conventional structures, and already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, for showing
(B) build than conventional structures, and they have already designed a number of structures, which includes a bridge, to show
(C) build than conventional structures, have already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, to show
(D) also to build than conventional structures, already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, which shows
(E) to build than with conventional structures, have already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, which shows

"A pair of architects in Britain, (...) , and already designed/and they have already" are wrong, the last part cannot follow the first part. Subject , (...), verb is the structure. The same reasoning can be applied to D.
Only C and E respect that structure. E is not the correct answer because:1) comparison "giant arches made of artificial bone could be easier to design than with conventional structures" 2)use of "which" that modifies "bridge" (which cannot show how their idea works).

thanks

SKM

Please explain why and is wrong in B and already wrong in D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
rrkan wrote:
shaileshmishra wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
A pair of architects in Britain, who say that giant arches, bridges, and walls made of artificial bone could be easier to design and build than conventional structures,and already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, for showing how their idea would work.

thanks

SKM

Please explain why and is wrong in B and already wrong in D

hi rrkan,

the original given sentence is as follows:
A pair of architects in Britain, who say that giant arches, bridges, and walls made of artificial bone could be easier to design and [u]build than conventional structures, and already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, for showing how their idea would work.
the coloured part starting with "who say .....than conventional structures"...actually this whole part is acting as a modifier and it is modifying a pair of architects.
now good thing with modifier is that if you remove the modifier from the sentence then also sentence must make sense.
now lets remove this modifier and hence resulting sentence will become like this:
A pair of architects in Britain and already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, for showing how their idea would work.
now reading the sentence do you think does this makes sense.
the use of parallelism marker AND conveys that both side of the and should be parallel but here
A pair of architects in Britain
and
already designed a number of structures
is not parallel ALSO THERE IS NO MAIN VERB TOO IN THIS SENTENCE.
hence use of and is wrong. in the same way option B is also wrong.
again now in option D after removing the modifier the resulting sentence becomes:
A pair of architects in Britain already designed a number of structures, including a bridge,which shows how their idea would work.
now if you read the above sentence then you will find that there is no verb in the sentence for the subject "a pair of architect"
and the use of HAVE before already rectifies this error which is done in option C.
so in this case use of already is not wrong but rather highlighted already indicates that a verb is required before already.
SKM
KUDOS IF IT HELPED.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6042 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM

(D) also to build than conventional structures, already designed a number of structures, including a bridge, which shows ( and also is redundant)

This is a good question. The trick here read without the fluff as this sentence has a massive "who clause"

You need easier to design and build

Now the subject is a pair of architects where's the verb? if we have ", and " that starts another independent clause so you need a subject verb for that

Hence option C is best :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GRE 1: Q303 V304
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Consulting)
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:

Great Q. Helps to develop a better understanding of use of 'pair' as plural vs. singular.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Before we want to attempt this question, let's remember one basic discipline.

The greatest thumb rule is that from the first minute when you begin to prepare for GMAT, you had better accept GMAT's view as correct. Seriously, if it says a pair is singular, it is singular, and if it says, a pair is plural, then it is plural. There is no second opinion about it.

Any criticism of GMAT's perception is best left to the greats such as the Rons, the Staceys, the Mikes or the Ninjas. All we have to do is to find the best of the five choices taking into account the context.

Any habit of wasting time on the veracity of GMAT's writing will be a colossal blunder in the Hall.

The takeaway is-- What is the harm in taking the GMAT questions in "as is what is" condition and in concentrating on the five choices?
(This suggestion holds good only for GMAT questions.)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM

look at choice D
" a bridge, which shows' is a bridge we already know that this bridge shows. this meaning is not fit in the context of the sentence. D is gone
if we have " a bridge that shows", we have to understand that there are many bridges and we mention the bridge that shows... . also this meaning is not fit to the sentence.

difference between " that shows " and " which shows" is hard but gmat never test us this difference.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Hi Experts KarishmaB, GMATNinja, MartyTargetTestPrep

Please advise whether the subject "A Pair" is singular or plural. Do we need to consider what comes after "of" to determine the sub-verb agreement.

Thanks
Kitty
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
KittyDoodles wrote:
Hi Experts KarishmaB, GMATNinja, MartyTargetTestPrep

Please advise whether the subject "A Pair" is singular or plural. Do we need to consider what comes after "of" to determine the sub-verb agreement.

Thanks

Kitty

There are no clear-cut rules for this sort of thing, unfortunately. It all depends on the context, so your best bet is to be conservative and look for other decision points.

(A) has to go because there's no main verb, making it an incomplete sentence.

If you strip out the "who" modifier in (B), you're left with: "A pair of architects in Britain, and they have already designed a number of structures..." The first half is missing a verb, so (B) is out.

The "which" modifiers in (D) and (E) are confusing, so that's one vote in favor of (C). As for the verb: we're talking about multiple architects who designed something, so using a plural verb seems reasonable enough. And notice that there's a plural pronoun in the non-underlined portion of the sentence (their idea), giving us further evidence that it's okay to think of the pair or architects as a plural entity.

More importantly, it's obvious who's doing the action: who designed the structures? The architects (plural). Since the meaning is perfectly clear and logical, there's really no reason to worry about inventing"rules" for this sort of thing.

(D) and (E) have confusing modifiers that cause meaning issues, so (C) is the best option.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts