Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1870 [31]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [18]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Although the school board members agree [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
There is a substantial difference in meaning between' agree' and 'may agree'. Agree is sent per cent whereas may agree is not cent per cent. There is a significant shift of meaning from A to B and D. Hence IMO, B and D are infidel and incorrect. C is meandering and wordy. E is a run-on. A is the best.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
I have a lot of concern about this question because in formal english is difficult to have a word such as HOWEVER in the beginning of a sentence. Moreover, the same is always after a full stop and followed by a comma.

Quote:
If ‘however’ is used to begin a sentence, it must be followed by a comma, and what
appears after the comma must be a complete sentence.

However, there was no need to repeat the data entry.

Keep the use of sentences beginning with ‘however’ to a minimum. Overuse makes
‘however’ look more important than the content of the sentence. It may also result in
sentence fragments.

FRAGMENT — However, life in Ancient Egypt three thousand years ago.

REVISED — However, life in Ancient Egypt three thousand years agowas much more sophisticated.

A sentence beginning with ‘however,’ is usually closely related to the sentence which
precedes it. In most cases, it is more appropriate to use ‘however’ to form a
compound sentence.

https://www.sonoma.edu/users/f/farahman/ ... owever.pdf

I have never see such construction on gmat
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Couldn't agree any less with Carcass.
Though between the given choices, B and C are close. C distorts meaning, thus B is the best, but I am not convinced with the use of However

Also Daagh, the first D/C starting with Although - will it not required "that" - I picked B and C considering this, though of course there are other errors in other choices.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Received a PM about this question. This question is based on OG VR2 Question #3. So please attempt the official question and understand the correct and incorrect choices in the official question. Once you have understood the essence of the official question, you may not worry about this one. :)

Thanks,

Payal
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sdas
I agree with you, It would be ideally parallel to have another that after the DC. But none of the good choices has it. Those that have that are problematic both in usage and grammar. Something is odd here . Verita’s examples seem to be in bind and frustrating.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Received a PM about this question. This question is based on OG VR2 Question #3. So please attempt the official question and understand the correct and incorrect choices in the official question. Once you have understood the essence of the official question, you may not worry about this one. :)

Thanks,

Payal

Hi Payal,
Answer to this qs should be B.
And OG VR2 Question #3- OA :A

'However much' implies 'No matter how much'...Let me know if my understanding and explanation are correct.

Appreciate your feedback.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
thelosthippie wrote:
Although the school board members agree there are substantial inefficiencies in the school budget and that the principal and other administrators should be paid less, it is difficult to garner enough interest and support in the community to implement the necessary changes.

A. Although the school board members agree

B. However much the school board members may agree that

C. Despite the school board members’ agreement about the fact that

D. Even though the school board members may agree

E. There is agreement among the school board members that

Hi all,

in my opinion OPTION B is the best of all...

==>firstly for parallelism THAT is MUST..
therefore option A and D are OUT.
E==> RUN ON
C==>changes the meaning.
AND we cannot say that option B is a TYPO.....(MAY is not a typo)...the use of MUCH in OPTION B clearly indicates....MAY is required...so i will say B is the BEST OF LOT.(may makes it noun countable)

hope it helps.

SKM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Although the school board members agree there are substantial inefficiencies in the school budget and that the principal and other administrators should be paid less, it is difficult to garner enough interest and support in the community to implement the necessary changes.

A. Although the school board members agree

B. However much the school board members may agree that

C. Despite the school board members’ agreement about the fact that

D. Even though the school board members may agree

E. There is agreement among the school board members that

The parallelism removes the answer choices A, D
C, E change the meaning of the sentence,

The only answer choice left over is B, hence the answer cannot be anything but B
We need to find the best option of the provided on the GMAT not the correct sentence :twisted:
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
debayan222 wrote:
egmat wrote:

Thanks,

Payal

Hi Payal,
Answer to this qs should be B.
And OG VR2 Question #3- OA :A

'However much' implies 'No matter how much'...Let me know if my understanding and explanation are correct.

Appreciate your feedback.

Hey Payal,
Can you please confirm my answer to your question and let me know whether the above explanation is correct..?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GPA: 3.2
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Although the school board members agree there are [#permalink]
Sorry guys, but I am really confused about this OA.

According to what most of you has been saying, option C, "Despite the school board members’ agreement about the fact that", changes the meaning. I'm not able to understand why...

On the other side, option B, "However much the school board members may agree that", seems wordy, I personally don't like the However in the beginning of the sentence (without any other sentence before) and it seems to distort what is said in A.

If we were to correct option A, it would say: "Although the school board members agree that", it does not say "may agree that". And is different to say that "they agree with X" or "they may agree with X"...

So, can anyone help me to understand how come B be the correct answer and how does C changes the meaning of what is said?

Thank you!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Expert Reply
GuidoVdS wrote:
Sorry guys, but I am really confused about this OA.

According to what most of you has been saying, option C, "Despite the school board members’ agreement about the fact that", changes the meaning. I'm not able to understand why...

On the other side, option B, "However much the school board members may agree that", seems wordy, I personally don't like the However in the beginning of the sentence (without any other sentence before) and it seems to distort what is said in A.

If we were to correct option A, it would say: "Although the school board members agree that", it does not say "may agree that". And is different to say that "they agree with X" or "they may agree with X"...

So, can anyone help me to understand how come B be the correct answer and how does C changes the meaning of what is said?

Thank you!

See my post above about "however" in answer choice B.

As for C, the problem really isn't a change in meaning. For meaning questions we aren't looking for a change in meaning from the original - we are looking for illogical vs. logical meaning. The problem with C is wordiness/awkwardness. The meaning is conveyed more clearly and directly in A/B.

Answer choice A would be fine if we included the word "that".

KW
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 5542
Send PM
As per Veritas, Option 'C' is wrong NOT because there's any meaning error (as mentioned by many above), but because it's redundant and unnecessarily wordy.

Official explanation:- The primary error to address in this problem is parallelism. Answer choices (A) and (D) are both wrong because they are structured like this: “Although/Even though school board members agree this is true and THAT this is true” Should be “Although/Even though school board members agree that this is true and that this is true” In (E), the clause needs to begin with something to contrast the “it is difficult…” clause that follows. You cannot say: “There is agreement about…, it is difficult….” (C) is wrong because of the redundant and unnecessarily wordy “agreement about the fact that…”, which should be “agreement that”. Only (B) is parallel and correct. It does, however, use an unusual structure “However much they may agree” that confuses people. Remember that many of the correct answers on difficult questions will contain unusual, but correct, structures.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts