Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1870 [147]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [23]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [11]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [5]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: In the country of Bedenia, officials have recently implement [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
thelosthippie wrote:
In the country of Bedenia, officials have recently implemented a new healthcare initiative to reduce dangerous wait times at emergency rooms in the country’s hospitals. This initiative increases the number of available emergency nurses and doctors in urban settings: scholarships and no-interest loans are being offered to prospective students in these fields if they work in major city hospitals, relocation packages to urban centers are being offered for current emergency practitioners, and immigration rules are being changed to enable foreign emergency doctors and nurses to more easily move to Bedenia’s major cities.

Which of the following would be most important to determine in assessing whether the initiative will be successful?

A. What percentage of current nurses and doctors work in emergency medicine

B. Which hospitals in Bedenia have dangerous wait times in their emergency rooms

C. Whether a career in emergency medicine pays substantially less than other types of medicine

D. Whether wait times could be reduced by means other than increasing the number of available nurses and doctors

E. Whether many foreign doctors and nurses are currently not allowed to enter Bedenia

Good question thelosthippie +1 kudo.

KEY is: "....reduce dangerous wait times at emergency rooms in the country’s hospitals". ==> Not only urban area. What if dangerous wait times happen mainly in rural areas. But the initiative just try to increase doctors and nurses in major city hospitals. So we need to determine which hospitals in Bedenia have dangerous wait times in their emergency rooms

B is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
thelosthippie wrote:
In the country of Bedenia, officials have recently implemented a new healthcare initiative to reduce dangerous wait times at emergency rooms in the country’s hospitals. This initiative increases the number of available emergency nurses and doctors in urban settings: scholarships and no-interest loans are being offered to prospective students in these fields if they work in major city hospitals, relocation packages to urban centers are being offered for current emergency practitioners, and immigration rules are being changed to enable foreign emergency doctors and nurses to more easily move to Bedenia’s major cities.

Which of the following would be most important to determine in assessing whether the initiative will be successful?

B. Which hospitals in Bedenia have dangerous wait times in their emergency rooms

C. Whether a career in emergency medicine pays substantially less than other types of medicine

D. Whether wait times could be reduced by means other than increasing the number of available nurses and doctors

E. Whether many foreign doctors and nurses are currently not allowed to enter Bedenia

Confused between A and B.

One doubt i have on B is : if we get to know that hospitals in rural areas have dangerous wait times.. can this statement resolve our doubt???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 510 [10]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Kudos
I do not fully agree with OA. The plan will take effect on urban hospitals - this is stated. Therefore, we are not interested in hospitals outside urban areas. The plan includes scholarships and 0% loans for students, relocation for practitioners, and immigration help to foreigners. I think the correct answer should assess the efficiency of these instruments.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Send PM
thelosthippie wrote:

thelosthippie you are posting very good questions indeed but if only you can provide us with OEs we will be grateful.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: In the country of Bedenia, officials have recently [#permalink]
I have 2 questions in mind when i read through this stimulus:
- is lack of doctors & nurses the root cause of dangerous wait time? Choice A refers to number of doctors and nurses but not clear. Percentage does not mean anything.
- dangerous wait time mostly happen in urban major hospital or also in rural hospitals? Choice B is good.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [11]
Given Kudos: 77
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
In the country of Bedenia, officials have recently [#permalink]
Bookmarks

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
They key here is URBAN v/s rural hospitals. The initiative talks about reducing dangerous wait times at country's hospitals while the details continue to highlight increasing the no of doctors and nurses at the URBAN CENTERS. What if dangerous wait times happen mainly in rural areas. So we need to determine which hospitals in Bedenia have dangerous wait times in their emergency rooms.

B is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
I fell for option D

If there are other means that are more feasible in avoiding the wait times, don't you think that will make the plan fall apart.

Please help me through this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
[quote="gordonf35"]In the country of Bedenia, officials have recently implemented a new healthcare initiative to reduce dangerous wait times at emergency rooms in the country’s hospitals. This initiative increases the number of available emergency nurses and doctors in urban settings: scholarships and no-interest loans are being offered to prospective students in these fields if they work in major city hospitals, relocation packages to urban centers are being offered for current emergency practitioners, and immigration rules are being changed to enable foreign emergency doctors and nurses to more easily move to Bedenia’s major cities.

Hello, everyone, I wonder why D and E is not a correct answer?

In my opinion,the use of "dangerous"is the key which rules out D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
"reduce dangerous wait times at emergency rooms in the country’s hospitals"- from the country's hospital the next sentence jumps to urban settings. so rural areas are being disregarded and we can say that the assumption taken is that this crisis is only in urban. Option B evaluates this assumption and hence the correct answer.
Honestly speaking, I most probably would have chosen D and if not for the paragraph below for the options.
It would be better if some mod edits and puts that section in the spoiler part.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
This is an "evaluate the argument type of question".
Hence I went with D

In evaluate the assumption type of question, we are to evaluate a yes or no option and the answer should take 2 separate paths.
The assumption of the argument is that increasing the number of doctors and nurses will reduce wait times
Take option D
1-Yes. The wait times could be reduced by means other than increasing the number of available nurses and doctors. This tears down the argument
2- No. The wait times could not be reduced by means other than increasing the number of available nurses and doctors. This aids the argument.

Take option B
Which hospitals have dangerous wait times in their hospitals

1. Yes. Knowing this will help but it does not resolve whether increasing the number of doctors or nurses there is the answer
2- No. Knowing this is irrelevant but still it does not resolve whether increasing the number of doctors and nurses is the answer.

This is how I am looking at it. Could someone please point out the flaw in this reasoning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
This is an "evaluate the argument type of question".
Hence I went with D

In evaluate the assumption type of question, we are to evaluate a yes or no option and the answer should take 2 separate paths.
The assumption of the argument is that increasing the number of doctors and nurses will reduce wait times
Take option D
1-Yes. The wait times could be reduced by means other than increasing the number of available nurses and doctors. This tears down the argument
2- No. The wait times could not be reduced by means other than increasing the number of available nurses and doctors. This aids the argument.

Take option B
Which hospitals have dangerous wait times in their hospitals

1. Yes. Knowing this will help but it does not resolve whether increasing the number of doctors or nurses there is the answer
2- No. Knowing this is irrelevant but still it does not resolve whether increasing the number of doctors and nurses is the answer.

This is how I am looking at it. Could someone please point out the flaw in this reasoning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
DmitryFarber Thank you so much. That really clears things up for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I foolishly choose E, once down to the choice between B and E.

I went with E because I figured that unless immigrants want to come work in the country, then changing rules will not affect the inflow of employee's.

However, having re-read the question I agree that B seems far better. It connects the question to the local waiting time, which does not have to be the same at all hospitals. We want to know if the increase of employee's would decrease the waiting times. To answer this question knowing which hospitals are currently experiencing high waiting times would be a good input.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Very good question. I chose D despite I knew that it talks about other plan. I found all other options completely wrong.

B is clever choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
I think this is a poor question. 'Which hospitals' is a highly vague remark in option C, it does not in any way indicate urban or rural setting. 'Which' can refer to many other demographic indicators, making the option highly ambiguous. Experts, please share your thoughts on the quality of this question. Thanks.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheLordCommander That isn't a flaw in the answer choice. It's fine for the answer choice to be vague. The point is that we do need to know which hospitals have long wait times. Are urban hospitals the problem? The fact that some kinds of information of this type (e.g. large vs. small hospitals) wouldn't help doesn't change the fact that we need this information. If we really knew exactly which hospitals were having trouble, that would allow us to consider whether the problem was primarily an urban one.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts