Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: B-school? Where? [#permalink]
Friendly bump. Any word on whether a specialty masters is worth it if I know exactly what I'd do with it? People wouldn't be familiar with the degree. MBA instead? Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Sounds like you're reasonably competitive for top 20 schools with good execution. Why not aim high?

An MBA is typically going to be stronger than an MA if you are interested in consulting, and will open doors more broadly if you decide to do something else.

An interesting point: Yale SOM changed the name of its degree from an MPPM (masters of public and private management) to MBA purely for the marketibility several years back. The format of the program didn't substantially change--Yale SOM was and still is a business school, albeit one that places major emphasis on social impact leadership--but they realized that an MBA was, as you say it, the standard that people recognized.

Regardless of the academic experience, an MBA as a degree just has more clout than an MA in the business world.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lb2015 wrote:
Sounds like you're reasonably competitive for top 20 schools with good execution. Why not aim high?

An MBA is typically going to be stronger than an MA if you are interested in consulting, and will open doors more broadly if you decide to do something else.

An interesting point: Yale SOM changed the name of its degree from an MPPM (masters of public and private management) to MBA purely for the marketibility several years back. The format of the program didn't substantially change--Yale SOM was and still is a business school, albeit one that places major emphasis on social impact leadership--but they realized that an MBA was, as you say it, the standard that people recognized.

Regardless of the academic experience, an MBA as a degree just has more clout than an MA in the business world.

Hi lb2015,

Thanks for your response. So is it worth it to wait till I'm more competitive for top 10 MBA? I'm looking for greater depth of education in my industry, so is a masters better for now?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
CCMBA wrote:
lb2015 wrote:

Hi lb2015,

Thanks for your response. So is it worth it to wait till I'm more competitive for top 10 MBA? I'm looking for greater depth of education in my industry, so is a masters better for now?

Tough for me to judge—do you feel ready for an MBA yet? The reality is that five years of work experience is plenty (I only had two when I applied), but if you think that another year or two would really help you get the depth of experience you’re looking for, it’s fine to wait. Keep in mind that the average years of work experience at most top MBA programs is about 4-6, so you’re right in the range now.

In most cases, you will NOT be more competitive for a top MBA with a masters degree, particularly if you did it at the expense of getting more work experience (i.e. if you did your masters full-time). Keep in mind that you will need work supervisors to write your MBA recommendations, and preferably a current manager. So an MBA will actually be more of an uphill battle if you are out of work pursuing said masters.

If you’re still set on an MA, by all means do it, but you might consider a part-time or evening program so you can continue to work full-time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
CCMBA wrote:
Friendly bump. Any word on whether a specialty masters is worth it if I know exactly what I'd do with it? People wouldn't be familiar with the degree. MBA instead? Thanks!

I'd imagine I'm in line with several of the other posters here. A specialty masters certainly will be more beneficial to a unique field, but not knowing more I can't fairly suggest one way or another. I can speak to the value of an MBA and say that depending on your age, etc., there's diminishing returns on an MBA if you wait much longer, and that depending on the consulting firm(s) you are looking to work for, an MBA may provide you a direct avenue to obtaining a position there. Conversely if you want to consult for yourself, clearly you'll want to avoid the 100K+ of debt.

As for which schools - your scores and GPA will get you past a very initial screen into a bucket of students with similar characteristics. From then on it's your story that matters - what you do, how you lead, what you've achieved, involvement outside of work, if there's something particularly amazing about your unique field? If you feel you have a strong story and can tell it well, then sky's the limit.

Best of Luck.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts