Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1870 [41]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1870 [13]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [7]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 509 [7]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Re: In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change con [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
thelosthippie wrote:
In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties' Kyoto Protocol created legally binding obligations as a result of intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations.

Correct idioms:
In contrast to/with x, y...
Compared to/with x, y...
"to" stresses similarities, "with" stresses differences. Not sure if GMAT allows for it.
C is out.
The original sentence informs that previous conferences didn't create something.
You can say "In contrast to/with x, y didn't".
You cannot say "compared to/with x, y didn't". You can compare somthing better to something worse, but you cannot compare something existing to something nonexisting.
D and E are out.
I got to this point and claim this problem a killer.

In contrast to the declarations [participial modifier], [a parallel here]

Quote:
A. In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties' Kyoto Protocol created legally binding obligations as a result of intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations.

The third conference of something created legally binding obligations, which are contrast to the declarations. "Declarations made" to "created obligations". I am picking A.
Quote:
B. In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations, creating legally binding obligations in their Kyoto Protocol.

Not parallel.

This is a problem that I would give up on the GMAT :).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change con [#permalink]
Bookmarks
In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties' Kyoto Protocol created legally binding obligations as a result of intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations. Looks good

A. In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties' Kyoto Protocol created legally binding obligations as a result of intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations.

B. In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations, creating legally binding obligations in their Kyoto Protocol. Incorrect: "their" has no clear referant

C. When compared with the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations creating legally binding obligations in the Kyoto Protocol. Incorrect. As per the sentence "creating" modifies nations which is not the intended meaning

D.Compared with the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations creating legally binding obligations in the Kyoto Protocol. : Incorrect. As per the sentence "creating" modifies nations which is not the intended meaning

E. Compared to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the intensive third Conference of the Parties' negotiations among both developed and developing nations led to the creating of the Kyoto Protocol's legally binding obligations.

OA is A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [1]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Experts,

aragonn, GMATNinjaTwo, sudarshan22, GMATNinja, broall, hazelnut, generis

Can you please help to understand how the comparison in option A is parallel? As per ,u understanding, in option A also "declarations" is compared to the conference. Please advise.

Regards,
Arup
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
Hello Sir
I have doubt.how is among correct here?
We have 2 set of countries only so it must be between.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [3]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
ArupRS - Clearly, the sentence is comparing the declarations with X. Lets find that X in all the choices. I see two split on this ground.
B, C, and D are comparing declarations to "third Conference of the Parties". -- Cant be right.
A and E are comparing declarations to "Kyoto Protocol" and "negotiations", respectively. Either can be, I am not sure here, But with right meaning comparison can be right. What i dont like about E is this part "led to the creating of", "creation of" would have been a better choice.
Also Protocol created legally binding obligations is better than the Kyoto Protocol's legally binding obligations.

On those lines I would select A as better choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
aragonn wrote:
ArupRS - Clearly, the sentence is comparing the declarations with X. Lets find that X in all the choices. I see two split on this ground.
B, C, and D are comparing declarations to "third Conference of the Parties". -- Cant be right.
A and E are comparing declarations to "Kyoto Protocol" and "negotiations", respectively. Either can be, I am not sure here, But with right meaning comparison can be right. What i dont like about E is this part "led to the creating of", "creation of" would have been a better choice.
Also Protocol created legally binding obligations is better than the Kyoto Protocol's legally binding obligations.

On those lines I would select A as better choice.

aragonn thank you for the explanation. it is quite lucid. My next doubt is - the third Conference of the Parties' Kyoto Protocol - how should I break this sentence /
Is it like - the Kyoto protocol of the third conference of the parties ?

regards,
Arup
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
I am surprised why no one is discussing the presence of "had" in option B), C) and, D). I feel we don't require any past perfect tense here. This leaves us with option A) and E). Though I am not convinced with either option, A) states the negotiations were intensive whereas, the E) states Conference was intensive. As per the original meaning (A), I would prefer A) as the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
B, C and D all compare ‘declarations’ to ‘the…Conference’. E compares ‘declarations with ‘negotiations’. None of these are correct. Only A gets it right , by comparing ‘declarations’ to ‘Kyoto Protocol.’
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change con [#permalink]
Quote:
In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties' Kyoto Protocol created legally binding obligations as a result of intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations.

B. In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations, creating legally binding obligations in their Kyoto Protocol.

C. When compared with the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations creating legally binding obligations in the Kyoto Protocol.

D. Compared with the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations creating legally binding obligations in the Kyoto Protocol.

E. Compared to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the intensive third Conference of the Parties' negotiations among both developed and developing nations led to the creating of the Kyoto Protocol's legally binding obligations.

I marked A because when you cannot find anything wrong, just go with A.

Initially I did think that declarations are being compared to Conference but then I thought that is the case in almost all the choices (except A and E).
And then I was doubtful about about usage of "among both" but then all choices have it.

So when you don't know the error, may be nothing is wrong to begin with :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts