Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: GNGO2, SSCRB
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [22]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.33
WE:Analyst (Health Care)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Send PM
Re: 24 Very Imp++....Questions........ [#permalink]
manishuol wrote:
Thanks !! for appreciating....... my efforts .................... :)

Always good to see new probs here! *loves the smell of fresh meat* :) Kudos to you my frnd! :)

Regards,
Arpan
Intern
Intern
Send PM
arpanpatnaik wrote:
manishuol wrote:

*********Press Kudos to appreciate the efforts put in. if you can click to download then, essentially, you can click to award kudos too. don't hold back :)

I must like to say that if you like to download stuff, You must also like to press the kudos button to appreciate the same post :)
Therefore, Most readers should award kudos.

Hope It Helps!! & Encourage my Habit of Sharing by Pressing Kudos...+++++

Great job Manish! :)

Q1. The answer is 39(E). Clearly if we are to look at a minimal set of 6 primes, the set would be {2,3,5,7,11,13}. Since the set is even number-ed, the median = average of 3rd and 4th element.

Now In any case the 3rd and 4th element cannot be 2. So the Median will always an integer (odd+odd/2 = integer). So we can eliminate 9.5 and 12.5 from the choices. Like I have mentioned before, the minimal set being {2,3,5,7,11,13}, the median will always be greater than 6. Hence 2,3 are eliminated. Hence, 39!

Q2. The answer would be (B). Statement 1, provides the exact value of the average daily high temp i.e. 72 degrees, but doesn't talk abt the median. But Statement 2, clearly states that 60% of the daily high temps are below the average. Hence, the median, which will lie on the mid of the ordered set of daily high temps will be clearly less that the average! Hence, just B is sufficient! :)

Q3. The answer would be [C]. Statement 1 gives the information that, 25% of total projects (Let the total be x) have 4 or more employes. Clearly not sufficient.
But can be concluded that 3/4x projects have 0,1,2,3 employes assigned.
Statement 2, states that 35% of x have {0,1,2}employes assigned. Now individually the statement in insufficient. But, when added with Statement 1 can be used to find the ratio of projects with 3 employes assigned i.e 40% of x.

To visualize the median, Please imagine a number line, with 35/100x number of projects have {0,1,2} Range : 0 - 35/100x
for {3} Range : 35/100x - 75/100x. Since the half value lies between the above range, the median will be 3. Hence, both the statements are needed. [C]
for {4....} Range: 75/100x- x.

Q4 Answer would be [C] again! Statement 1 and 2 are individually not sufficient, but when combined tell us that the complete set is of 49 books i.e. odd. Hence the median will not be an average, but a single number. Plotting them in this manner just gives you a better view:

25 24
<-------------> <---------------->
1.2......400 475, 476.......

Hence, the median would be 400. Both the statements together are sufficient. Hence [C]

Q5. The Answer is [C]. Statement 1, just states that k<n, Hence, there can be many sets like {6,k,n,12,17} or {6,k,12,n,17} and so on. Nothing has been said on the order yet and this can not yield the value of n. Hence insufficient.

Statement 2: Since the median is 10 less than 12 and 17, only two possible unknowns arise in the list i.e. k,n. It cannot be said concretely if k =10 or n = 10.
But when combining the both, the only possible arrangements for the same would be {6,k,n,12,17} or {k,6,n,12,17} with median = 10 i.e. n = 6. Hence [C].

En route on the other ones :)

Regards,
Arpan

P.S Editing the post as I solve more!

Please Correct the Typo.... its n = 10 .......... Thanks !!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
manishuol wrote:

*********Press Kudos to appreciate the efforts put in. if you can click to download then, essentially, you can click to award kudos too. don't hold back :)

I must like to say that if you like to download stuff, You must also like to press the kudos button to appreciate the same post :)

**continued
Q7. The Answer would be [C].
Let S = {a,....b} and Q = {b...c}
Median of S = a+b/2 = 3b/4
=> a/2 = b/4
Median of Q = b+c/2 = 7c/8
=> b/2 = 3c/8

median of set x = {a...c} is a+c/2 => 11c/16. (Answer)

Q8. The answer according to me is [C] even though the OA is (B). Please correct me if i missed anything.
For a set Rn = Rn-1 + 3, can be further represented as Rn = R0 + 3n.

Statement 1 states that R0 = 15. Clearly not sufficient.
Statement 2 states that mean of the set is 36 i.e. R0 + Rn/2 = 36. Individually not sufficient but when we plug in the values of R0.
=> R0 + 3n/2 = 36
=> 15 + 3n/2 = 36. Hence Rn = 57 and n=14. Hence the median value can be calculated as the 7th element i.e. 15 + 3.7 = 36.

Q9. The question is exactly similar to Q6. Answer is (B).

Will post the rest as I work on them! Great Job again Manish! Even though medians and averages are not the most sought after topics, a clear knowledge of them is very necessary.

Regards,
Arpan
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
manishuol wrote:

** continued

Q10. The Answer will be [A]. For the given question, we can eliminate the choices by determining the validity of the statements here.

In general the set can be represented as {x1,13,0000,x2} where x1 and x2 are sum of integers lesser and greater than the median respectively. Hence, x1+x2 = 2120000.
Statement 1. Imagine the maximum possible set of the form {13,0000, ....repeated 8 times, 16,0000...repeated 7 times} No in the above set the average comes short of 15,0000. Hence for the max condition, 8*13,0000 + x*7 = 2250000 Hence x comes up to 172000. Hence the statement will always hold TRUE.
Statement 2 and Statement 3 can be proved otherwise for sets like {13,0000, ....repeated 8 times, 16,0000...repeated 7 times} and so on. The above conditions do not hold true always.
-
Q11. The Answer will be [C]. Clearly since the median will be the 36th term and that lies between 80-89.

Q12. The Answer will be 120,000. And the final set arrangement will be as follows:
S = {210000,310000,330000,360000,680000}
N = {Dot, Cal, Ann, Bod, Ed}
The only two variables in the above set are Ann and Cal. Adjust them accordingly to get the median as 330,000.

Regards,
Arpan
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi, What is the source of these questions.Are they from GMAT PREP?
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
yes kindly mention the source of these questions
Intern
Intern
Send PM
prateekbhatt wrote:
yes kindly mention the source of these questions

Its from different sources.....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V23
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
R u sure the all answers mentioned in the separate pdf are correct.
Has any one came across such a thought.
Atleast for some questions like 20. The answer has to be A. But its given as E.
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Expert Reply
Most of the questions are from GMATPrep software, and if you are still in the initial stages of preparation then don't do these problems because it would bias your score.

Here is my analysis:
Questions from GMATPrep: 15
Questions from Official Guide GMAT: 4
I don't recognize the remaining 5 questions, but they are likely to be official GMAT questions based on their structure.

Cheers,
Dabral

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts