Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [126]
Given Kudos: 240
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [40]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [14]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63656 [6]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kittle wrote:
GMATNinja can you please help explain this? Thank you.

Lots of good discussion in this thread already, but here's a recap:

Quote:
(A) Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.

Notice the parallel list within the "which" clause: "... which is (1) 400 times larger than the moon, but also (2) 400 times farther away from earth."

If we remove that entire "which" clause, we're left with: "Because of the Sun, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky." This reveals a couple issues:

• There's no reason to stick a "so" before the "both" here. Why not just say, "Because of the Sun, both the Sun and the Moon have..."?
  • More importantly, the meaning is off. The Sun itself is not the reason why the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky. The Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky because of the Sun and Moon's relative sizes and distances from Earth.

The causal relationship is off here, so (A) is out.

Quote:
(B) The Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.

Here we have an entirely different sentence structure: "The Sun, which is [X], is also [Y], therefore (so) the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky." This properly expresses that the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size because of what the Sun is (i.e. its properties relative to the Moon).

(B) looks good. (If you're confused about the comparison in (B), check out this post.)

Quote:
(C) The Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky because the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, and also 400 times farther away from Earth.

Again, we have a parallel list within the "which" clause: "...which is (1) 400 times larger than the Moon, and also (2) 400 times farther away from Earth."

Removing that "which" clause, we are left with: "The Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky because the Sun." Because the Sun... did what? We're missing a verb after the because. And again, the Sun itself is not the reason the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size.

(C) is out.

Quote:
(D) Four hundred times larger than the Moon and 400 times farther away from Earth, the Sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon's.

Notice the possessive "Moon's" at the end of the sentence. This suggests that we are talking about the Moon's size, and that makes it seem like we're comparing the size that the Sun has to size that the Moon's size has.

That doesn't make any sense. The Moon has a size, but the Moon's size doesn't have a size. (For more on that, check out this post.)

So we can eliminate (D).

Quote:
(E) Four hundred times larger than the Moon and also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun in the sky has the same apparent size as the Moon.

Notice that the stuff before the comma logically modifies the Sun itself, so we expect "the Sun" to come right after the comma. Instead we get a "so" right after the comma, and that doesn't work:

• "Smarter than the average bear, Yogi always managed to get his hands on a picnic basket." - No problem here -- the opening modifier describes the noun right after the comma (Yogi).
  • "Yogi was smarter than the average bear, so he always managed to get his hands on a picnic basket." - This one is fine because we're now using a separate independent clause instead of an opening modifier. The conjunction "so" (or "therefore") can be used to link the two independent clauses.
  • "Smarter than the average bear, so Yogi always managed to get his hands on a picnic basket." - This one's not good. We have an opening modifier that doesn't modify a noun right after the comma. And we have an unnecessary conjunction that doesn't link two independent clauses. This is the same problem we have in choice (E).

(E) is out, and we're left with (B).
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1172 [2]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Bookmarks
The correct answer is B. You can see the detailed explanations here:

because-of-the-sun-which-is-400-times-larger-than-the-moon-132921.html?fl=similar
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [0]
Send PM
@Subash I looked at that explanation and after that only I posted this question here.That thread has no explanation for C,D,E options.I am very much interested in Why option C is wrong.Thanks!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [5]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
arkle wrote:
@Subash I looked at that explanation and after that only I posted this question here.That thread has no explanation for C,D,E options.I am very much interested in Why option C is wrong.Thanks!

C: Couple of issues:
1. The last and is not matching with anything. The structure seems to be: …because the sun…and also 400 times..!! sun and 400 times clearly have no correlation
2. Perhaps if his last and was to be replaced with is, C might have been an option worth consideration.

D: Phenomenal meaning issue. The original sentence is clearly intended to convey that the reason why the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky is because sun is 400 times farther away from Earth. In D, this causal relationship is not coming out at all.

E: Illogically comparing the size of a planetary body (sun) with another planetary body (moon). That is illogical comparison. We can compare size with size; we can compare a planetary body with another planetary body; but we can’t just mix and match.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Sales (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
I got confused between B and D and finally went in for D coz funnily I found it to make better sense :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [0]
Send PM
Thanks guys much appreciated. I checked the usual GMAT pitfalls of "which" should modify the nearest noun "the sun".In the process totally ignored "Because" which precedes "the sun".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
arkle wrote:
Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.

A. Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.
B. The Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.
C. The Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky because the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, and also 400 times farther away from Earth.
D. Four hundred times larger than the Moon and 400 times farther away from Earth, the Sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon's.
E. Four hundred times larger than the Moon and also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun in the sky has the same apparent size as the Moon.

Can someone please answer this question and provide detailed explanation.I am not satisfied with the explanation provided by GMAT Prep question pack.

It's a hidden comparison question. A,B and E are clearly out because of misplacement of modifiers. Now, i between D and B, B wins because in D Moon is in possessive form and the sentence compares the apparent size of Sun with the Moon's size. Incorrect.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Since I was confused between (B) and (D), I want to clear below query.

B. The Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.
D. Four hundred times larger than the Moon and 400 times farther away from Earth, the Sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon's.

As mentioned by Ashish, option (D) is wrong because it doesn't maintain the causal relationship per the sentence.

As mentioned by OE, option (D) is wrong because the possessive form of moon i.e. Moon's introduces ambiguity.

In my opinion also, option (D) shouldn't be wrong for the ambiguity as mentioned in OE, but it should be wrong as mentioned by Ashish.

So, my query...

Is using possessive form of a noun for comparison always wrong on GMAT?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [2]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Kudos
Just to add on to daagh's explanation.

In the given sentence...

The sun and the moon have the same apparent size in the sky -> Main clause
and the other part is the dependent or subordinate clause.

If the Main clause is followed by a subordinate cluase, we have to use a period, a semicolon or one of the following coordinating conjunction.

For
And
Nor
But
Or
Yet
So

And these coordinating conjunction should be followed by a comma.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
DesiGmat wrote:
If the Main clause is followed by a subordinate cluase, we have to use a period, a semicolon or one of the following coordinating conjunction.

Perhaps you meant to say: If the Main clause is followed by another main clause

DesiGmat wrote:
And these coordinating conjunction should be followed by a comma.

Perhaps you meant to say: And these coordinating conjunction should be preceded by a comma
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
arkle wrote:

I think the first part:the subject are SUN AND EARTH,but the second part the subject is SUN which is omitted
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 624 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
troy2014 wrote:
arkle wrote:

I think the first part:the subject are SUN AND EARTH,but the second part the subject is SUN which is omitted

HELLO GUYS..

IMO B is correct..

I TOOK 3 MINS TO ANSWER..as per firsrt sentence,if observed carefully,it says

although sun is 400 timer larger than sun,its also 400 times away from the sun and hence they both look the same..

option D is gramatically correct but doesnt appropriately specify this meaning..

option B,though a bit awkward,is gramatically correct as 2 indep. clauses are joined by SO which is among the fanboys and provides the intended meaning..

HOPE IT HELPS :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 2412
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 5: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 6: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
My reasoning:
A: Wrong; sentence doesn't make sense when "which...Moon" is removed.
C: Wrong; "also...Earth" is a fragment
E: Wrong; misplaced modifier "Four...Earth"
D: Wrong; Sun should be compared to "Moon" not the "Moon's size"
B: Correct; "so" implies "therefore".

MGMAT Explanation:
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/pre ... 16284.html
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
arkle wrote:
Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.

A. Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.
C. The Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky because the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, and also 400 times farther away from Earth.
E. Four hundred times larger than the Moon and also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun in the sky has the same apparent size as the Moon.

Can someone please answer this question and provide detailed explanation.I am not satisfied with the explanation provided by GMAT Prep question pack.

let's understand the meaning of the sentence first:
The Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.
we are told that Sun is 400 times larger than the Moon, but it is also 400 times farther away from the Earth. Because of the great distance, the sun and the moon appear of the same size.

Let's analyze the errors in the original:
Because X, which is smth, but also smth else + comma + SO
we start with a subordinate clause; thus, we do not need to connect it with SO to the independent clause.
Moreover, because OF THE SUN - suspicious.

let's get to the POE:

A. incorrect as discussed
B. The sun, which smth else, IS smth smth + comma + so..ok so we have 2 IC connected properly, that is fine. don't see any apparent mistakes in this answer choice, but let's check the other answers just to make sure.
C. The S and M have the same apparent size because the SUN, modifier, and also... - we have a subordinate clause starting with BECAUSE - we need a Subject and we need a verb for the subject. here, we do not have any verbs. C is incorrect.
D. what a perfectly designed trap here! priceless. Long noun modifier describing the sun, then we have the subject, then verb then comparison but wait - moon's is written in possessive. the meaning here is: The sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon's apparent size. see how the meaning is now slightly changed?
E. and also - redundant; long modifier+SO -> no, we need the subject right after the modifier.

by POE, we can see that B is the best.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3801 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
arkle wrote:

Part in red should be independent clause.

Clause (The sun + has….) as Moon’s (where is subject and verb?) – wrong comparison.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 623 [1]
Given Kudos: 98
Send PM
Kudos

A. Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, but also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky. - Incorrect: "Because of" needs a result clause.
B. The Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky. - Correct
D. Four hundred times larger than the Moon and 400 times farther away from Earth, the Sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon's. Incorrect - Improper Comparison
E. Four hundred times larger than the Moon and also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun in the sky has the same apparent size as the Moon. Incorrect - "Sun in the sky is compared" with "Moon"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM

Meaning of the sentence :- sun is 400 times larger than the Moon and also 400 times farther away from Earth, so both the Sun and the Moon seem size in the sky.

because of the sun - doesn't convey the same meaning. Also it's a fragment Because of the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon,but also 400 times farther away from Earth : But also is wrong.

C. The Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky because the Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, and also 400 times farther away from Earth. : fragment sentence

The Sun, which is 400 times larger than the Moon, is also 400 times farther away from Earth, so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky.=> I don't understand how causal relationship applies here. The Sun is also 400 times farther away from Earth so the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky. if you remove this modifier - the Sun and the Moon have the same apparent size in the sky, it doesn't convey the meaning at all.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts