Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Please !! - Indian IT / Re-applicant [#permalink]
Given that your stats are so impressive, I would recommend that you speak with an admissions consultant before you re-apply. Based on what you present here, I would have expected bettter results. I have a feeling that your application was sub-optimal and did not properly represent your abilities, motivations or potential. As for schools on your list, there is nothing wrong with applying to reach schools as well as non-reach schools and I generaly recommend that Indian candidates apply to around 7 schools.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
thereddevil wrote:
Hi Oasis,

Thanks for your response.

Would it be okay if I can send you my profile and my application to Tepper (where I was interviewed and dinged) over a PM so that you could help me with a detailed analysis of my profile and possible ways to improve them?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers!
TheRedDevil

Hi

Please send the same

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi thereddevil,

You have good acads, GMAT score and ECs. Kindly find in-line the answers to your queries:

• Is my experience of 8 years a major challenge?
6 yrs. of work experience is sufficient for applying in b-schools. Would suggest you to target 2014 intake and start the application process this yr. for R-1 & R-2.
• Can you please let me know whether my target schools are actually on target based on my profile?
I am surpirised that why couldn’t you convert to ISB & others :( . Did you get any feedback from the schools?
• Should I reapply to Haas? Considering that, it’s tough to get in and they have already rejected me?
Yes. However, you need to demonstarte the difference as a re-applicant. You need to be very clear about how an MBA from Haas would help you to achieve your goals, what value would you create in the class, how you will contribute to the school’s society. I would suggest you to take professional assistance.
• Are there any other schools that I need to consider?
You may also target Kellogg, Booth Duke, Ross, UCLA-Anderson, INSEAD, LBS, Yale, CEIBS, NUS, Nanyang, Ross, Cornell, Kenan-Flagler & Oxford.

Let me know if you require any assistance in slection of b-schools. You may PM you details to have a discussion in length.

Regards
Erina

thereddevil wrote:
Hi ,

It would be helpful if you could give some feedback regarding my profile and choice of target schools. Sorry for the long post!!

Indian/IT Male /28/ 6.5 Years exp in TCS (will be 8 by the time I start my MBA)

International Work Experience – 1 Year in UK, Will be moving to Munich soon.

Academics:

• GMAT: 740 (Q51, V39)

• Engineering- 77.10% from one of the best engineering schools in India (Non-IIT)

• 12th - 92.5% (Top 2% of the class) , 10th - 95.2% (Ranked 14th for the state out of 80,000 students that year)

I had applied in 2011 and was rejected by Haas, ISB, Tuck w/o Interview and Tepper, UT Austin after interview. (Yes! I messed up the interviews)

Professional Experience:

Presales and Consulting (past 2 years and added to the profile compared to the past exp):

• Won 7 deals (out of 9) totalling over 8 M USD/year competing with three other vendors (Accenture, IBM and Infosys)
• Added over 100 new positions through these 7 deals covering all aspects of IT (Development, Testing, Infrastructure and Maintenance services)
• Developed an applications consolidation strategy to streamline business processes with a possibility of saving over 2M USD/Year
• Developed a strategy to roll out application maintenance support to geographies such as APAC, Russia and Brazil, Netherlands
• Currently working on a Global Business Intelligence Strategy for an Insurance Major involving 'Big Data' analysis and Data warehousing, with a potential business opportunity of over 50M USD

Project Management (past 2 years and added to the profile compared to the past exp):

• Currently managing a project of over 1 M USD with 32 associates reporting to me, one of the youngest PMs in TCS handling a portfolio of over 1M
• Handling a global team working parallel in US, UK , Germany, SG, SA and India
• Conceptualized and implemented 'Value Delivery Framework' that would enable associates to generate ideas for process improvements - achieved over 100,000 USD Savings in the first year

Other Experience before moving into Project Management: (Used for the previous apps)

• Lead a team for eight analysts in London, Munich & Bangalore to develop technology solutions; investigating problems and performing business analysis for TCS’s first Corporate and Specialty Insurance client with an annual revenue of € 4Million
• More than 5 years of experience in working the Insurance domain (both life and non-life)
• Saved over $3 million for the client partner by resolving one of the critical issues related to a German marine insurance claim
• Analysed client’s global application landscape and developed a strategy to improve their Financial Reconciliation process leading to ~20% reduction in processing times
• Led a team of 6 members to successfully implement the complete IT infrastructure for a client. The project was worth around 500,000 USD

Extracurricular:

• Band Manager for a Hindi Rock Band (New) - Managed to get over 10 shows for the band in the past year
• External Consultant to an event management company helping them in improving their business (New)
• Maitree Champion TCS –
- Led a CSR Activity in TCS through adopting a school and educating the kids on English, Computers and Mathematics (New)
- 10 K Marathon - One of the volunteers and made sure to register over 50 participants for the run (New)
- Organized fund raising events to raise over INR 60,000 ($1,500) for orphanages and schools for the underprivileged
- Worked with Stepney FC in London to return disaffected young people to mainstream of society through Football
• Faculty, Foreign Language Initiatives (Bangalore) - Trained more than 120 associates in ‘Business Communications’ and continuously received 100% faculty rating from the participants
• Director and Stage Manager – For a Japanese play performed by a 12 member team during TCS induction
• Core Coordinator - QFest - Quality Awareness Fest in TCS - Led team of 10 associates to conceptualize, plan and execute 20 events over 5 days catering to 500
• Part of the recruitment team - Visited many campuses and conducted off campus events to recruit people into the organization.

Professional Certifications:

• Associate, Life Management Institute (ALMI) designation in Insurance - Pursued on my own interest.
• Completed Level 1 of the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) offered by the CFA Institute, USA. Currently a Level 2 candidate. - Pursued my own because of my personal interest in Finance.
• ITIL Certification in IT Service Management.
• National Stock Exchange (NSE) certification in Derivatives and NSE certification in Financial Markets. - my personal interest in Finance.
• German language level 1 (A1) offered by the Goethe Institute. -

Additional things:

• Know 7 languages including basic German and Japanese
• Hobbies - Avid Traveler - Visited more than 10 countries, Huge Man U fan, Excellent Cook

Short Term Goal:

Technology Strategy Consulting: To get into a consulting firm into their Information Technology practice (MBB / Booz Allen / Accenture Bus. Consulting / Delloitte). Main interest is in the IT of Global Financial and Insurance firms.

Long Term Goal:

CIO/CTO of a big financial / insurance / technology firm

Target Schools:

Dream : Haas, Kelloggs, INSEAD
Realistic : Duke, UCLA, Ross, Tepper, UT Austin, ISB , NUS

I have a few questions:
• Is my experience of 8 years a major challenge?
• Can you please let me know whether my target schools are actually on target based on my profile
• Should I reapply to Haas? Considering that, it’s tough to get in and they have already rejected me?
• Are there any other schools that I need to consider?

Thanks a lot for your patience and for the response :)

Regards
TheRedDevil
GMAT Club Bot