Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 376 [99]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618929 [42]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618929 [11]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 376 [0]
Send PM
Re: |x|=|2y|, what is the value of x-2y? [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
|x|=|2y|, what is the value of x-2y?

First of all \(|x|=|2y|\) means that either \(x=2y\) or \(x=-2y\).

(1) x+2y = 6. Now, the second case is not possible since if \(x=-2y\) then from this statement we would have that \(-2y+2y=6\) --> \(0=6\), which obviously is not true. So, we have that \(x=2y\), in this case \(x-2y=2y-2y=0\). Sufficient.

(2) xy>0 --> \(x\) and \(y\) are either both positive or both negative, in any case \(|x|=|2y|\) becomes \(x=2y\) (if \(x\) and \(y\) are both negative then \(|x|=|2y|\) becomes \(-x=-2y\) which is the same as \(x=2y\)). Now, if \(x=2y\) then \(x-2y=2y-2y=0\). Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hope it's clear.

Dear Bunuel,

whenever absolute value is analysed, we take two scenarios of <0 and >0.
So, why the same is not considered for |x| ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Tricky question.... I gave 2 much time to evaluate stmt 1 and went with A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 508 [3]
Concentration: Supply Chain, Logistics
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel: can we rewrite |x|=|2y| as x^2-4x^2=0 ?
I have solved the problem doing so, but not sure if it algebraically correct.
Below what i did:

(x-2y)(x+2y)=0

Using statement 1:
(x-2y)*6=0
so, (x-2y)=0. Sufficient

Using statement 2:
x=2y [same sign]
(x-2y)=0. Sufficient

D
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618929 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
BDSunDevil wrote:
Below what i did:

(x-2y)(x+2y)=0

Using statement 1:
(x-2y)*6=0
so, (x-2y)=0. Sufficient

Using statement 2:
x=2y [same sign]
(x-2y)=0. Sufficient

D

Yes, you can square \(|x|=|2y|\) and write \(x^2=4y^2\) --> \((x-2y)(x+2y)=0\) --> either \(x=2y\) or \(x=-2y\) the same two options as in my solution above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 137
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
BDSunDevil wrote:
Below what i did:

(x-2y)(x+2y)=0

Using statement 1:
(x-2y)*6=0
so, (x-2y)=0. Sufficient

Using statement 2:
x=2y [same sign]
(x-2y)=0. Sufficient

D

Yes, you can square \(|x|=|2y|\) and write \(x^2=4y^2\) --> \((x-2y)(x+2y)=0\) --> either \(x=2y\) or \(x=-2y\) the same two options as in my solution above.

Hi Bunuel,

I had a query regarding an official statement in the solution to this problem.
Actually, the book says that , as, x+2y=6 , so a positive sum indicates that both x and 2y must be positive.
However, -4+10= 10+(-4) = 6 =positive sum [both x and 2y are not positive] 10+4=14= positive sum [both x & 2y are positive] isn't it?
Please clarify the confusion here..
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [2]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: IxI = I2yI what is the value of x - 2y? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
alexpavlos wrote:
IxI = I2yI what is the value of x - 2y?

1) x + 2y = 6
2) xy > 0

I can understand what to do with statement 2. Statement 1, I have no clue what to do with it!

Thanks!
Alex

x + 2y = 6
Hence we know that x is not equal to -2y, but |x| = |2y|
So, x = 2y
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Hello, I am a bit confused regarding absolute value.

If \(|x|=|2y|\), then why why aren't x and 2y both positive? If the abs. value of something (i.e. it's positive value) is equal to something else, doesn't that imply that they are both positive? For example, if x=|2y| doesn't that mean that x is positive?

Also, for #2, xy both have the same signs. If x and y are negative, why would |x|=|2y| become -x = -2y? I get that it's equal to |x|=|2y| but why even take that step? |-x| = |-2y| will always be positive, right?

Bunuel wrote:

(1) x+2y = 6. Now, the second case is not possible since if \(x=-2y\) then from this statement we would have that \(-2y+2y=6\) --> \(0=6\), which obviously is not true. So, we have that \(x=2y\), in this case \(x-2y=2y-2y=0\). Sufficient.

(2) xy>0 --> \(x\) and \(y\) are either both positive or both negative, in any case \(|x|=|2y|\) becomes \(x=2y\) (if \(x\) and \(y\) are both negative then \(|x|=|2y|\) becomes \(-x=-2y\) which is the same as \(x=2y\)). Now, if \(x=2y\) then \(x-2y=2y-2y=0\). Sufficient.

Hope it's clear.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618929 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
WholeLottaLove wrote:

If \(|x|=|2y|\), then why why aren't x and 2y both positive? If the abs. value of something (i.e. it's positive value) is equal to something else, doesn't that imply that they are both positive? For example, if x=|2y| doesn't that mean that x is positive?

Also, for #2, xy both have the same signs. If x and y are negative, why would |x|=|2y| become -x = -2y? I get that it's equal to |x|=|2y| but why even take that step? |-x| = |-2y| will always be positive, right?

Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

The absolute value cannot be negative \(|some \ expression|\geq{0}\), or \(|x|\geq{0}\) (absolute value of x, |x|, is the distance between point x on a number line and zero, and the distance cannot be negative).

So, if given that \(x=|2y|\) then \(x\) must be more than or equal to zero (RHS is non-negative thus LHS must also be non-negative).

But in our case we have that \(|x|=|2y|\). In this case \(x\) and/or \(y\) could be negative. For, example \(x=-2\) and \(y=-1\) --> \(|x|=2=|2y|\).

As for (2):
When \(x\leq{0}\) then \(|x|=-x\), or more generally when \(some \ expression\leq{0}\) then \(|some \ expression|={-(some \ expression)}\). For example: \(|-5|=5=-(-5)\);

When \(x\geq{0}\) then \(|x|=x\), or more generally when \(some \ expression\geq{0}\) then \(|some \ expression|={some \ expression}\). For example: \(|5|=5\).

So, if \(x<0\) and \(y<0\), then \(|x|=-x\) and \(|2y|=-2y\) --> \(-x=-2y\) --> \(x=2y\). If \(x>0\) and \(y>0\), then \(|x|=x\) and \(|2y|=2y\) --> \(x=2y\), the same as in the first case.

For more check Absolute Value chapter of Math Book: math-absolute-value-modulus-86462.html

DS questions on absolute value to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=37
PS questions on absolute value to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=58

Tough absolute value and inequity questions with detailed solutions: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939.html

Hope it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [0]
Send PM
Ok, so I get that Abs. value cannot be negative...distance cannot have a negative value.

We are trying to solve for x-2y, so naturally we are trying to determine x-2y. So,

If x=2y then the value of x-2y = 2y-2y = 0
OR
If x=-2y (the absolute value of 2y) then the value of x-2y = -2y-2y = -4y, correct?

I guess what throws me off is when you write

When x\leq{0} then |x|=-x. What you're saying is that, for example, |-4| = -(-4) or |-4| = 4. What is the point of writing |-4| = -(-4)

One final thing...In the stem you derived x=2y, x=-2y. Okay, but in #2. one of the cases is xy>0 so we could have -x and -y. If x and y are negative, doesn't that mean that you would substitute -x and y in to get -x=-2(-y) = -x=2y?

I'm sorry for being such a dolt. Sometimes, concepts that I know are very simple are extremely difficult to understand.

Bunuel wrote:
WholeLottaLove wrote:

Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

The absolute value cannot be negative \(|some \ expression|\geq{0}\), or \(|x|\geq{0}\) (absolute value of x, |x|, is the distance between point x on a number line and zero, and the distance cannot be negative).

So, if given that \(x=|2y|\) then \(x\) must be more than or equal to zero (RHS is non-negative thus LHS must also be non-negative).

But in our case we have that \(|x|=|2y|\). In this case \(x\) and/or \(y\) could be negative. For, example \(x=-2\) and \(y=-1\) --> \(|x|=2=|2y|\).

As for (2):
When \(x\leq{0}\) then \(|x|=-x\), or more generally when \(some \ expression\leq{0}\) then \(|some \ expression|\leq{-(some \ expression)}\). For example: \(|-5|=5=-(-5)\);

When \(x\geq{0}\) then \(|x|=x\), or more generally when \(some \ expression\geq{0}\) then \(|some \ expression|\leq{some \ expression}\). For example: \(|5|=5\).

So, if \(x<0\) and \(y<0\), then \(|x|=-x\) and \(|2y|=-2y\) --> \(-x=-2y\) --> \(x=2y\). If \(x>0\) and \(y>0\), then \(|x|=x\) and \(|2y|=2y\) --> \(x=2y\), the same as in the first case.

For more check Absolute Value chapter of Math Book: math-absolute-value-modulus-86462.html

DS questions on absolute value to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=37
PS questions on absolute value to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=58

Tough absolute value and inequity questions with detailed solutions: inequality-and-absolute-value-questions-from-my-collection-86939.html

Hope it helps.

Originally posted by WholeLottaLove on 27 May 2013, 16:16.
Last edited by WholeLottaLove on 27 May 2013, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618929 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
WholeLottaLove wrote:
Ok, so I get that Abs. value cannot be negative...distance cannot have a negative value.

We are trying to solve for x-2y, so naturally we are trying to determine x-2y. So,

If x=2y then the value of x-2y = 2y-2y = 0
OR
If x=-2y (the absolute value of 2y) then the value of x-2y = -2y-2y = -4y, correct?

I guess what throws me off is when you write

When x\leq{0} then |x|=-x. What you're saying is that, for example, |-4| = -(-4) or |-4| = 4. What is the point of writing |-4| = -(-4)

I'm sorry for being such a dolt. Sometimes, concepts that I know are very simple are extremely difficult to understand.

Yes, that's correct: if x=2y, then x-2y=0 and if x=-2y, then x-2y=-4y.

As for the red part: it's just an example of the statement that if \(x\leq{0}\) then \(|x|=-x\).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16

(1) x+2y = 6
(2) xy>0

1) that means that x=3 and 2y=3, so difference is only 0
2) that means that x and y is not 0 and both positive or negative and x=2y, so 2y-2y=0

D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [2]
Send PM
Kudos

x=2y
OR
x=-2y

(1) x+2y = 6

2y+2y = 6
4y = 6
y=3/2

x+2(3/2) = 6
x+3 = 6
x=3

OR
-2y+2y = 6
0=6 (Invalid...6 cannot equal 0)
With only one valid solution for x and y we can solve for x-2y.
SUFFICIENT

(2) xy>0

xy>0 means that BOTH x and y are positive or BOTH x and y are negative.
We can choose numbers to make this easier:
x=2, y=1

If x=2y, then 2=2(1)
OR
Id x=-2y, then -2 = 2(-1)

If x and y are both positive: x-2y ===> 2-2(1) = 0
If x and y are both negative: x-2y ===> -2 - 2(-1) ===> -2+2 = 0

SUFFICIENT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
DS: Inequalities source: Manhattan adv quant [#permalink]
If |x|=|2y|
what is the value of x-2y?

1. x+2y=6
2. xy>0

Am stuck with solving the statement 1 with case scenarios.
Somebody please explain your entire solutions especially the statement one positive negative scenarios.

Thanks.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [1]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
|x|=|2y|, what is the value of x-2y? [#permalink]
Kudos
mpingo wrote:
If |x|=|2y|
what is the value of x-2y?

1. x+2y=6
2. xy>0

Am stuck with solving the statement 1 with case scenarios.
Somebody please explain your entire solutions especially the statement one positive negative scenarios.

Thanks.

Hello mpingo
This topic discussed here:
x-2y-what-is-the-value-of-x-2y-133307.html

Please, use search before posting

Also, please, read rule of posting #3 about naming of topic
rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html

If after reading discussions above, you will have questions, than write them here and I will be glad to help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
ok, x= 2y, or x= -2y---> x-2y =0 or x+2y =0
1. x+2y =6 so x-2y =0
2. x,y >0--> x+2y can't be 0 , so x-2y =0
D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 237
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel, thanks for that. Just have 1 qs. In case of statement2 when we consider the case when X and y are both negative wouldn't we consider the -(minus) inside the absolute |-x|=|-2y| instead of outside.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
Send PM
kashishh wrote:

(1) x+2y = 6
(2) xy>0

i wish to have clarification on st. 1.
x+2y = 6
if x = 2, y = 2 or
if x= -2 , y = 4 then also it is '6'

do we need to keep the constraint +x = +2y while evaluating st.1 ?

|something| = |something| ----> for constructs like these square both sides and remove the Mod sign.

Stem:
\(|x|=|2y|\) ----> \((x)^2= (2y)^2\)--->\( x^2-(2y)^2=0\)--- > is of the form \(a^2-b^2\)= \((a-b) * (a+b)\)

stm1>\(x+2y = 6\)

from the equation we formed in the stem: \(x^2-(2y)^2=0 \)----> \((x-2y)*(x+2y)=0\)

put \(x+2y=6\) in the above equation, and we get \(x-2y=0\)

Suff.

(2) xy>0 (means both x and y are of the same sign, both +ve or -ve)

\(x^2-(2y)^2=0-\)---> \((x+2y)* (x-2y)=0\) ----> \(x-2y= 0\). Sufficient.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts