Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink]
I wouldn't call it a no-brainer - depends on where you're coming from. Some people need a lot more help than others. If you do well on the Aringo test (read 'gave yourself good marks') and are confidant about your applications, then go ahead and submit them to the top . Confidence is a big factor in not worrying crazy about results. Just remember it's a crap shoot out there, unpredictable, and cover yourself with an option that's liveable for you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sarastiles28 wrote:
I tried to improve my score on the GMAT three times - the first time, my score was OK (670) but I thought I could do better on the math part so I concentrated on that before trying again. The second time, I did fine on the math and then the language part suffered. I did a third GMAT but never got a better score than the original 670. So I went with that and realized that I should spend the rest of my time getting all the other things as right as possible. The GMAT's not the be-all and end-all - you can make yourself sound intelligent and try to be very convincing on the essays. But you have to cater to the strengths of each school. That's what took so much time for me. Research. But I ended up with a slightly different list of schools than I had when I started! Better for me. So I won't have a Harvard MBA - shoot me.

Yeah - I think you're being realistic, smart. You can only do your best, and if it's not good enough for HBS - so bloody what? How many people are going to get in to HBS? There are enough excellent schools out there to choose from and you can still aim high, only with better chances. I don't see it as a compromise at all - the good schools are all a real challenge to get in to.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just did the Aringo test and scored well.... well enough to be encouraged to apply to HBS even though I wasn't considering that before. So thanks for that, Aringo!
I am in an older age bracket (30 plus) and I don't know how or if that makes a difference. And I wonder, no matter where I get accepted, if I won't be the oldest one in the class.
Anyway, the test was an eye-opener as to what the adcoms are looking at (point-wise) and I'm glad I did it. I'll keep you posted....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
About the test being an eye-opener, I agree, about me as well as the adcoms. One thing I'm foggy on though - career strategy. I expect this would be an important part of an interview as well as in the essays but I'm not sure what it means other than working your way up the corporate ladder. Or starting your own business. How specific can you be at this early stage of the game?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manalive! You gotta go in with more than that. If not a specific field of work that you love - environment, social services, science/ research, entrepreneur/consulting - at least the approach that suits you best - finance or marketing. That much you should know by now about yourself. A few people know exactly where they want to work, most don't and it's beside the point. But direction? I suggest you get one.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This test is probably fairly indicative of where you stand for acceptance. For instance, if you score low you know you don't have a hope in hell of getting in to Wharton or Stanford, nevermind HBS. Not without a lot of help. But I think it's a good as a self-help tool. It can show you what you need to improve on and that's helpful if you're thinking of doing Round 2 or 3. And GMAT's not the be-all-and-end-all. All in all, useful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I hear you, Gorensgood. I have a direction - Finance. I can work all day with numbers. But I don't have any specific field of interest. I like start-ups because they're small. Again, this isn't very specific. Wouldn't get me very far in an interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but just to let you guys know...

there was a 570 gmat admitted to HBS this year. NFL corner back and NFL players association president Domonique Foxworth.

So unless you have work experience at the highest levels of professional sports, are respected enough by your peers to be elected to represent them in a 'union', and have sat across the table from multiple NFL owners to negotiate through a strike, I don't think you have a shot in hell getting into HBS with anything less than even 680.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well, well, well. He got through admissions but he still has to negotiate his way through school. Gotta wish him luck. Can't wait to see the movie.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The post about Dominique Foxworth is just SO misleading because a 570 GMAT won't get you in to any school, nevermind HBS. As far as GMAT is concerned, maybe you can get admitted to one of the good schools (not the top) with a 680 but from what I see in the stats and hear from my colleagues you'd better do everything within your power to get to 700 because that's the magic number for serious consideration.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
sonnymiller549 wrote:
The post about Dominique Foxworth is just SO misleading because a 570 GMAT won't get you in to any school, nevermind HBS. As far as GMAT is concerned, maybe you can get admitted to one of the good schools (not the top) with a 680 but from what I see in the stats and hear from my colleagues you'd better do everything within your power to get to 700 because that's the magic number for serious consideration.

My post about Dominique Foxworth shared the same sentiment as yours. I chose 680 because it is debatable and I was being generous. We can bump the minimum gmat score up 20 points to 700 if it makes you happy.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah, well lets be realistic. Even a 700 is on the low end of the scale for HBS and Stanford but with an outstanding, exceptional resume - still possible. As for Dominique Fox, there are anomalies every now and then, as there are for every thing in the universe, and getting in to HBS with a 580 GMAT qualifies as proof of the uncertainty principle.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ezrabar wrote:
Well, well, well. He got through admissions but he still has to negotiate his way through school. Gotta wish him luck. Can't wait to see the movie.

Once you're in, all you have to do is pass. I'm sure Foxworth will get all the help he needs. Sounds like he's not doing it for the money anyway.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm curious - how many people have gotten in to Harvard with less than a 650 GMAT in the last two or three years? A handful? Twenty? Fifty? I'm assuming they fit a VERY unusual profile. I'm curious because without that, or a very high GMAT score, it seems Harvard is just a dream.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Acceptances and rejections all around me. I have one thing to say - choose the right school for you. Overall rankings are just that - overall. If you know what you want to be doing with your life, look carefully at each schools programs in the field you want and check them out carefully for intern programs and teaching staff. Will you work globally or locally? Public or private enterprise? Start-up or establishment? The schools have specialties. Try to figure out what yours is and get with the right program. Harvard is sweet (and expensive) and you don't necessarily need it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This is good advice. The programs change somewhat from year to year, as do the overall rankings, if that's important to you. More important are the specialized rankings, financial aid possibilities and post-graduation recruitment stats. There are surprises there. If you have the opportunity to check out a campus after you've applied, this could be helpful if you get an interview. There's new information on all the programs coming out every year and it behooves you to look at each school carefully rather than go with the top three just because they're the top three.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
In some of the the forums, I've come across a number of people who are HBS grads and had a very average GMAT score when they applied. It doesn't seem to be as unusual as you would think. They may have come from other countries and got in under the minorities umbrella, I don't know. Or gotten help from admissions consultants. But it's not the impossible dream everyone thinks it is.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6