Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [3]
Given Kudos: 183
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [2]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Re: Family business as work ex? [#permalink]
Kudos
nitishgera wrote:
Thanks aerien. That is really encouraging.

I am planning to take my GMAT somewhere in July/August 2013. Most probably I will leave my IT consultancy job in July and then work on boosting my profile for another year or so until I think that I'm fit to apply for B schools in the US. This includes working for my dad's company and/or social work of some sort.

What really put me off was the reply of GMATLA on this thread :

gmatclub (dot) com (slash) forum (slash) working-for-a-family-business-and-letter-of-recommendation-128828.html

How true is this and why is it so contradictory to what you have mentioned?

Yes, you leaving an IT consulting gig to work for the family business may raise some questions about why you did so, as it may raise questions of why you need an MBA at all.

That said, the noteworthy aspect of an MBA application from someone working for the family business is the letter of recommendation. I am not an admissions consultant, but I would say you should NOT get a letter of recommendation from dear ol' dad. Many schools will not even accept such letters. That is where you will need to strategize, whether it means reaching out to managers/supervisors at your current workplace to get the recommendations or someone else who could talk about your achievements.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
Also, from your name I take it that you're Indian?

Adcoms will most likely understand that traditions in Asia regarding taking over the family business.Your best bet will be to talk to them.

Every year top schools take in students who will go back and work for the family business. They can guide you on how to prepare your application where your work experience and achievements with the family is an asset, not a liability.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
For starters everyone has different opinions on the matter. I agree with GMATLA that it is more difficult to get rec letters when working in a family business since having your dad write won't be looked at well. You'd be better off getting a client or advisor writing it. That being said, gaining work experience in a family business IS working. Nothing can take away what you've learned working with other people.

When looking at bschools though you will have to find the schools that fit for you -- some may be friendlier than others when looking at your background.

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
westsidah408 wrote:

Yes, you leaving an IT consulting gig to work for the family business may raise some questions about why you did so, as it may raise questions of why you need an MBA at all.

Thanks westsidah408. The main reason I would leave my IT job for the family business is primarily to streamline the IT aspect of the family business. I guess an year down the line I would have done something substantial in this regard, so as to justify my switch.

westsidah408 wrote:
That said, the noteworthy aspect of an MBA application from someone working for the family business is the letter of recommendation. I am not an admissions consultant, but I would say you should NOT get a letter of recommendation from dear ol' dad. Many schools will not even accept such letters. That is where you will need to strategize, whether it means reaching out to managers/supervisors at your current workplace to get the recommendations or someone else who could talk about your achievements.

Yes. I agree with you on that. I will be getting all my recommendations from my current supervisors. So hopefully that aspect is sorted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
westsidah408 wrote:

Adcoms will most likely understand that traditions in Asia regarding taking over the family business.Your best bet will be to talk to them.

Haha yes. Good observation :)

Well, yes. That is the general tradition in India. The reason I want an MBA from one the top B schools is to gain that exposure so as to take my family business global. My knowledge in IT systems and processes will hopefully complement what I learn in B school, when I need to apply it to my family business. I hope I am able to convince the adcoms on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
nitishgera wrote:
westsidah408 wrote:

Haha yes. Good observation :)

Well, yes. That is the general tradition in India. The reason I want an MBA from one the top B schools is to gain that exposure so as to take my family business global. My knowledge in IT systems and processes will hopefully complement what I learn in B school, when I need to apply it to my family business. I hope I am able to convince the adcoms on this.

It's virtually the same here in Thailand. :)

My advice would be to just speak to the adcoms regarding your situation. Tell them that you're making this move, why you're doing it (streamline the company's IT systems etc.) and you think that you will achieve a lot - but that you will want an MBA to take it to the next step, i.e. management training or something like that. What are their thoughts?

Also, you should consider which schools you will apply to since their strengths are different; also consider their alumni base in your location/industry etc.

Good luck ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hey buddy. I'm in the same situation as you working for a family business. I see you referenced my earlier post.

I'm actually still working at the family company but have decided to leave company and am conducting a job search while working here. I want to make sure my next job is actually a step up and progression from my position here.

I think important consideration for the family business are:
-How big/prestigious of a company is it? In my situation its a little $2 million operation with only 7 employees. Part of the reason I'm leaving.
-What is culture and type of people you are working with? You need to surround yourself with successful people to become successful. In my situation I'm the most educated, professional, and driven person here. This is also part of the reason I'm leaving. You need to surround yourself with high caliber people.
- What role/level of responsibility do you have? I actually have a lot of responsibility and am second only to my father/owner. This is really one of the main reasons I stayed in the family business so long.

My initial plan was to take the GMAT and apply for Fall 2014 but unfortunately have not received the GMAT score was aiming for (I only got a 560). Thus I'm making a job change while I hope to improve on my score in the future. Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 550 Q30 V36
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 3: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE:Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
nitishgera wrote:
Hi,
I wanted to know if working for my father's business would count towards "work experience".
I have a 2+ year work experience with a major IT consultancy and I plan to leave this job to work for my father.
Will this be treated differently from any other form of work experience?

I think that as long as you adequately explain why you left and that it was a career move you should be fine. Make sure you leave your IT job on amicable terms (give them enough notice) that way you can still get a letter of recommendation from someone there as a letter from a family member (as mentioned before) won't carry too much weight and you'll likely be relying on getting a letter from a client or someone along those lines with the next job.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [2]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM