Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Re: Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Abhiyank wrote:
Thanks alot Jon.

It will be of great help if you can suggest some ways by which i can improve upon my application and what all can i do in extra-curricular to have my chances in better universities .Also will an improve Gmat score will be of any help in any way.

You are welcome!
A higher score on a GMAT is always helpful! Although schools will look at everything, and even with a theoretical 800, top schools can be tough. For your extra curriculars, if you are applying next year, then you can for sure add one "big" community service item to your profile. If you are going to apply this year, then it may be a little bit late to add new things, and you should then really just concentrate on your GMAT and then your application. Beyond that, if you can get promoted, more responsibilities, or more leadership at work, any of these would help a lot.

Best,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Jon ,
Thanks again for the awaited response
I am not in any hurry to apply for mba this year as i am just 24(age) my actual plan is to spend some time like year or 2 to build up my strong profile and apply for mba when i am actually ready to be a part of it. I have researched through internet for ways to do the same and planning for following actions.

->I have joined renouned music school as part to build my guitar skills and take it to a next level may be through that i can get opportunity to perform at places and get a chance for more exposure and substantiate my interest and passion for music.
->Also i have started to reaserch on some good NGO as i have always had inclination towards providing community service.We have a family blind children school with strength of 20 kids who are taken care as a whole but now i am thinking to be a part some good NGO which can provide me a platform for community service at a braoder level.
->I am already a part of some my own ventures.
->I am also thinking to attend all the college fest that happen during this time to get in depth knowledge of universities courses and get in touch with the alumini of the targeted college to get some inputs from them.

Other things which can be a add-on are
-> Switch my job to find some place where i can get more oppurtunities and also try to get into some brands like (Google , Amazon etc)
-> Be a part of toastmasters for developing my communication and leadership skills.

I request you to please provide your feedback on the action items i am planning to do and with these exercise will i be able to target top 15 universities. Also i am not doing this stuff just to get it on my profile rather i am thinking to build up myself suitable for mba profile and this preparation is helping to get the best out of me and i think i ll be able to connect the dots to present my profile as a complete one.

P.S. please let me know if i have missed out on anything.

Thanks
Abhiyank
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Abhiyank wrote:
Hi Jon ,

->I have joined renouned music school as part to build my guitar skills and take it to a next level may be through that i can get opportunity to perform at places and get a chance for more exposure and substantiate my interest and passion for music.
->Also i have started to reaserch on some good NGO as i have always had inclination towards providing community service.We have a family blind children school with strength of 20 kids who are taken care as a whole but now i am thinking to be a part some good NGO which can provide me a platform for community service at a braoder level.
->I am already a part of some my own ventures.
->I am also thinking to attend all the college fest that happen during this time to get in depth knowledge of universities courses and get in touch with the alumini of the targeted college to get some inputs from them.

Other things which can be a add-on are
-> Switch my job to find some place where i can get more oppurtunities and also try to get into some brands like (Google , Amazon etc)
-> Be a part of toastmasters for developing my communication and leadership skills.

Hey Abhiyank,
Let's go through your ideas one by one

Guitar - although lovely, because people need to have passions, this won't help your Bschool application (it's always good to do SOMETHING though)
NGO - See what you can do. The BEST NGOs are 1. Global 2. One where you can take a leadership post 3. Ones where you deal with a lot of money.
Ventures - I don't know exactly what you have here, but if one of them can be really successful this can help a LOT. Maybe better to concentrate on one thing rather than ten!
College Fest - By all means! A VERY good idea. Won't help your application, but will help you get informed!

Job switching - if you can get a better post at a bigger company, this by all means, helps, more than anything else.
Toastmasters is a good idea - but do something else too. Too many people have toastmasters on their resume,

Hope this helps!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Jon,
Thanks alot for you response .

Just a small query: In your response you said "Toastmasters is a good idea - but do something else too" can you please suggest me what else can be done as a part to build up my profile and i can see if that interests me and can it be useful for my application in any way.
Also i see from your response that most of the things i am planning to do are not useful in B-school application so can you please suggest things which are actually value addition to my profile.

-Abhiyank
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well the thing is to think about in terms of uniqueness and impressiveness. To quote radiohead "Anyone can play guitar" :)... And likewise anyone can join toastmasters. What not everyone can do, is raise 100K for the red cross, or lead a team of 100 volunteers to rebuild a village, or.... There are a million possibilities of course, but the things that you can focus on that would be most useful are, as you might imagine not easy necessarily, not easy to find and not easy to do (otherwise everyone would have them! And that is the point!). But let's say that the most important things are 1. LEADERSHIP 2. IMPACT, in whatever you do - volunteer work, toastmasters, tutoring, extra curriculars, If you play guitar as a hobby its one thing, if you are so good that you are a famous rock star in your country it's another....

Get my drift?

It's not sooo much aout what you do, as much as HOW
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks jon for all your inputs i definetly get your point and will focus on finding stuff which interest me and can stand me apart from the lot ..
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Great. Good luck. And if you have other questions along the way, I'm around...
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts