Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
I wouldn't apply to a school (even HBS) just because that's where most people from my country/industry apply. In fact, if anything, I could argue that that's a good reason why you shouldn't apply there, since you will be going up against so many other applicants with similar profiles. Overall, apply there if you want (whether or not others from your country apply there), but don't base it on where others are applying.

Yup, pretty much all schools are online now with their applications. The most paper-heavy component remaining are recommendations, but many schools now accept those online, too.

Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hello, Scott!

Coming back to you after passing GMAT :wink:

See, in the post above I promised to get >700
Unfortunately, I failed to score like this and got only 700 sharp :(
(93 percentile, 48/86% - Q, 37/83% - V)

Now I have a dilemma: either to apply with this score or to retake GMAT

Evidence FOR retaking GMAT:

- I really feel that potentially I can score in the range 720-750. Plus I`m more experienced now and know exactly my particular weak sides.
- Actually I have enough time left for 1 more attempt, although I`m going to apply in the 1st round
- I heard an opinion, that adcoms look positive at those, who retook the GMAT and managed to add several tens of points.
- I dont think that it will hinder my general application process cause I have already done some part of essays etc.

Evidence VERSUS retaking GMAT:

- First and main argument that I have already heard across the board - that 700 is a very good score to apply to top-10. That it comes to exactly average figure in the most top notch schools, and there were many cases when people were admitted with even lower scores (something like 660-680) to HBS or Stanford.
- Extra 20-50 points (even if get them) will not add too much value to my application package. Because the main thing - to get result >680-700, and there is no significant difference between 700 and 730, for instance. Other components of application package (essays) are the key factors anyways.
- Taking the GMAt once more will take time, that could be used in some more efficient way for the preparation of the application package. Besides, not so much time left in general till the 1st round expires. I can make next attempt only in October, and adcoms may not receive results in time

In general - I dont wanna waste time just to have more exciting GMAT figure in my application. I will retake it only if I`m sure that this figure noticeably increases value of my application package

So, Scott, could you please give me an advise, writing a little "analysis of argument" essay for me? :) Seriously, your unfolded answer is highly appreciated

Thanks in advance!
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Going by my philosophy, the asnwer to this one is easy... DON'T take it again! You don't need to. Focus on the otehr parts of your application and make those stronger. A 700 GMAT score willl get you in ANYWHERE!

Also, it's just an opinion, but I don't agree with those who say that adcomms look positively on someone who takes the GMAT again and adds a few points. Yes, if you got a 620 and took it again and then got a 660, they would be glad to see that. But, if you got a 700 and are now trying to get a 720+, they'll probably wonder if you understand what they're really looking for.

You're done with the GMAT, as far as I'm concerned!

Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well...
Most likely I will really follow your advice
Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]