Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [21]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [8]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [3]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Send PM
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to protect Brit [#permalink]
pqhai wrote:
The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England, and that certain colonial exports be shipped only to England.

A .passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong. "their" is incorrect. ==> British trade is singular ==> "its colonies" is correct.

B. which Parliament passed to protect its trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong. the meaning is distorted. It's like "Parliament passed the acts to protect Parliament's trade".

C. which Parliament passed to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies was carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong.
(1) "The acts which Parliament passed" is wrong, because "the acts" is subject, "which" modifies "The acts" ==> After "which" should be verb. For example: The Acts which were passed by Parliaments.
(2) Idiom: require that X do Y ==> the "infinitive without TO" form of the verb to be is always just be, not is, are, was,...

D. passed by Parliament to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England,
Correct.
(1) "passed by Parliament....colonies" modifies "the Acts"
(2) Correct idiom: required that X be carried ......

E. which were passed by Parliament to protect British trade with its colonies, made it a requirement that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong. "made it a requirement" sounds awkward.

Waiting for the OA.

Thanks pqhai for pointing out the error in E, but still i feel that there is no antecedent of its in British and even if made it a requirement sounds awkward, still due to no antecedent of its in D, i find E a better option.
Can you please clear my doubt...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [1]
Send PM
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to protect Brit [#permalink]
Kudos
ankurgupta03 wrote:
pqhai wrote:
The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England, and that certain colonial exports be shipped only to England.

A .passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong. "their" is incorrect. ==> British trade is singular ==> "its colonies" is correct.

B. which Parliament passed to protect its trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong. the meaning is distorted. It's like "Parliament passed the acts to protect Parliament's trade".

C. which Parliament passed to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies was carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong.
(1) "The acts which Parliament passed" is wrong, because "the acts" is subject, "which" modifies "The acts" ==> After "which" should be verb. For example: The Acts which were passed by Parliaments.
(2) Idiom: require that X do Y ==> the "infinitive without TO" form of the verb to be is always just be, not is, are, was,...

D. passed by Parliament to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England,
Correct.
(1) "passed by Parliament....colonies" modifies "the Acts"
(2) Correct idiom: required that X be carried ......

E. which were passed by Parliament to protect British trade with its colonies, made it a requirement that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong. "made it a requirement" sounds awkward.

Waiting for the OA.

Thanks pqhai for pointing out the error in E, but still i feel that there is no antecedent of its in British and even if made it a requirement sounds awkward, still due to no antecedent of its in D, i find E a better option.
Can you please clear my doubt...

Hi ankurgupta.

My thought for your doubt is:

In the phrase "to protect Britain's trade with its colonies", "its" refers to a country - Britain very clearly.
For example: Because Mary was absent, the teacher shared Mary's lunch to her classmates.
"her" definitely refers to Mary. You cannot say "her" refers to "the teacher". That does not make sense, because "classmates" should be compared to Mary, not the teacher.

Please correct if I'm wrong.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
pqhai wrote:

Hi ankurgupta.

In the phrase "to protect Britain's trade with its colonies", "its" refers to a country - Britain very clearly.
For example: Because Mary was absent, the teacher shared Mary's lunch to her classmates.
"her" definitely refers to Mary. You cannot say "her" refers to "the teacher". That does not make sense, because "classmates" should be compared to Mary, not the teacher.

Hi pqhai,

In the example you gave, Mary has been introduced, but it the given question, Britain has no where been talked about, its just Britain's trade, so its should refer to Britain's trade ... IMO
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [0]
Send PM
ankurgupta03 wrote:
pqhai wrote:

Hi ankurgupta.

Hi pqhai,

In the example you gave, Mary has been introduced, but it the given question, Britain has no where been talked about, its just Britain's trade, so its should refer to Britain's trade ... IMO

Hi ankurgupta.

If you think "its" refers to Britain's trade, "its" will also refer to "British trade" in E? => how comes E is better than D?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
pqhai wrote:

Hi ankurgupta.

If you think "its" refers to Britain's trade, "its" will also refer to "British trade" in E? => how comes E is better than D?

Thats what ... i think that no answer is correct, i am not supporting E also ... just that i find E better than D
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32864 [3]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Kudos
ankurgupta03 wrote:
pqhai wrote:

Hi ankurgupta.

Thats what ... i think that no answer is correct, i am not supporting E also ... just that i find E better than D

But your think or what you do feel about a question could not be true for the GMAT.

E really goes so far from the truth

Quote:

which were passed by Parliament: is wordy, is quite clear even not considering at all the rest of the phrase

made it: it in my logic refers to the act that has no sense because tha act by itself do nothing. The act is an expression of the parliament's will, then this will is exteriorized in an act that does something in turns.......so E is incorrect though is parallel with usage of THAT

Moreover, which is wrong because which Parliament passed seems that someone other entity says to the Parliament to pass something not the parliament itself wants to pass the act. The Parliament is the vertex of a democracy so nothing is above the parliament. So the other choices have no much sense

Hope this helps you
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4890 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Pronoun ambiguity on the GMAT is one of the most complicated topics you can find in the test.

Both "its" refer to Britain because it's the only possible noun that makes this sentence work. Example:
passed by Parliament to protect Britain’s trade with its (of the Parliament) colonies => no sense.

Even though as you say, ankurgupta03, that there is no clear clear antecedent, the meaning of the sentence is what helps you here.

Take a look at an official problem, where even thoug "they" seems ambiguos, the meaning of the sentence clarifies what it refers to: while-depressed-property-values-can-hurt-some-large-91967.html
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32864 [2]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Kudos
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/22297036[/vimeo]

Thursdays With Ron - March 31 2011

Sentence Correction: "Which" Modifiers
Sentence Correction: Ambiguous Pronouns

Check it out
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
nt2010 wrote:
IMO answer is D

B, C, and E are out since which cause the statement to be fragment.

A has a pronoun error their with no antecedent. British serves as an adjective for this choice.

The Acts of Trade and Navigation, which Parliament passed to protect its trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England, and that certain colonial exports be shipped only to England.

If you remove the colored part the remaining is not a complete sentence and that's why it is a fragment.

But I also got D not through the fragment thing.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor

E. which were passed by Parliament to protect British trade with its colonies made it a requirement that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England

Quote:
B. The Acts of Trade and Navigation, which Parliament passed to protect its trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England

C. The Acts of Trade and Navigation, which Parliament passed to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies was carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England

E. The Acts of Trade and Navigation, which were passed by Parliament to protect British trade with its colonies, made it a requirement that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England

The notion that B, C, and E are rendered fragments because they use 'which' is erroneous.

1. Remove all the modifiers starting with 'which' until the comma after colonies. Bring the verb close to the subject. In all the three cases, the subject and verb are solidly available there (bolded words). Therefore, why would they be called fragments? Of course, there may be other errors in these choices, but they can't be dislodged as fragments in the least
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM

A .passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England Pronoun Error
B. which Parliament passed to protect its trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England "its" refers to parliament...changes meaning
C. which Parliament passed to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies was carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England Subjunctive rule not followed
D. passed by Parliament to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England, Correct
E. which were passed by Parliament to protect British trade with its colonies, made it a requirement that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England Avoidable
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts