Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6042 [21]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [8]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [4]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: Scientific evidence suggests that the benefits arising from [#permalink]
@fozzzy: Answer should be D. The keyword checked here is X rather than Y.
Instead of with, when will be used which leads us to options C, D and E

Option C: taken Rather than consuming -> not parallel
Option D: taken rather than consumed ->parallel ->correct answer
Option E: not a complete sentence

Please let me know if you have any doubts
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
With C, the sentence would be:

Scientific evidence suggests that the benefits arising from consumption of alcohol are greatest when alcohol is taken with meals on a moderate, regular basis, rather than consuming it on binges.

The idiom used is clearly ..when alcohol is X rather than Y... So, the structure in C is:

When alcohol is:
a) taken with meals on a moderate, regular basis
rather than
b) consuming it on binges.

In other words:
a) When alcohol is taken with meals on a moderate, regular basis
rather than
b) When alcohol is consuming it on binges.

Alcohol is consuming it on binges? Clearly incorrect for multiple reasons:
a) Alcohol is not consuming anything; in fact Alcohol is being consumed.
b) it is clearly intended to refer to alcohol. Hence, Alcohol is consuming alcohol on binges is clearly incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
fozzzy wrote:
Scientific evidence suggests that the benefits arising from consumption of alcohol are greatest with alcohol that is taken with meals on a moderate, regular basis than when it is consumed on binges.

(A) with alcohol that is taken with meals on a moderate, regular basis than when it is consumed
(B) with taking alcohol with meals on a moderate, regular basis as opposed to its consumption
(C) when alcohol is taken with meals on a moderate, regular basis, rather than consuming it
(D) when alcohol is taken with meals on a moderate, regular basis rather than consumed
(E) when alcohol, taken with meals on a moderate, regular basis, and not consumed

I narrowed it down to C and D. A,B uses with E changes meaning.. I'm more inclined to D as I see the structure when alcohol is taken rather than when alcohol is consumed Can someone provide a detailed analysis! Thanks

Ans D, X rather than Y is correct. Choice A usage of with is wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Scientific evidence suggests that the benefits arising from consumption of alcohol are greatest with alcohol that is taken with meals on a moderate, regular basis than when it is consumed on binges.

(C) when alcohol is taken with meals on a moderate, regular basis, rather than consuming it : Not parallel, one verb ; another is participle
(D) when alcohol is taken with meals on a moderate, regular basis rather than consumed

Scientific evidence suggests that the benefits arising from consumption of alcohol are greatest with alcohol that is taken with meals on a moderate, regular basis rather than alcohol that isconsumed
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
The correct usage of Rather than is -

1. rather than + verb
2. rather than + noun

rather than consumed = Correct as Consumed here acts as a Verb

So, The OA (D) is correct in all respect ...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
fozzzy wrote:

(A) with alcohol that is taken with meals on a moderate, regular basis than when it is consumed
(B) with taking alcohol with meals on a moderate, regular basis as opposed to its consumption
(C) when alcohol is taken with meals on a moderate, regular basis, rather than consuming it
(E) when alcohol, taken with meals on a moderate, regular basis, and not consumed

I narrowed it down to C and D. A,B uses with E changes meaning.. I'm more inclined to D as I see the structure when alcohol is taken rather than when alcohol is consumed Can someone provide a detailed analysis! Thanks

choice A
"than" is comparative word , which needs "er" or "More". there is no such word , so, A is wrong. "greatest +than" is wrong
"than when it is..." needs to be parallel with an adverb showing time in the first clause. there is no such adverb. comparison is wrong
'with+noun+noun modifier " can work ad an adverb showing context , result and reason of the main clause. "with+ alcohol " can not work as adverb or adjective here
choice b
"with taking" can not work. "with+noun+noun modifier " can be an adverb but "with+doing" can not .
"as opposed to' require parallelism. 'its consumption' should be parallel with "taking alcohol" , but it is not. "consuming it' can be parallel with "taking alcohol"
choice c
"rather than" require two similar entities. "rather than consuming" require "doing". there is no such doing in the preceding part.
choice e
is not a sentence.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
Send PM
Expert Reply
fozzzy wrote:

D is correct. C is not parallel and changes the subject; the participle "taken" needs to be matched with "consumed." The passive voice needs to be maintained as in D: "is taken ... [is] consumed."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I have different question that i need to ask esledge.

In question other than non-underlined part, "suggests that" is used, which is a subjunctive. So should not the subjunctive verb "be" should be used later in the non-underlined part instead of "are"?

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts