Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Fractions/Ratios/Decimalsx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23844 [188]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618680 [39]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [28]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: If the ratio of the number of teachers to the number of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
If the ratio of the number of teachers to the number of students is the same in School District M and School District P, what is the ratio of the number of students in School District M to the number of students in School District P ?

Given that \(\frac{T_m}{S_m}=\frac{T_p}{S_p}\), where \(T_m\) and \(S_m\) are the numbers of teachers and students, respectively, in District M, and \(T_p\) and \(S_p\) are the numbers of teachers and students, respectively, in District P.

We need to find the value of \(\frac{S_m}{S_p}\) --> \(\frac{S_m}{S_p}=\frac{T_m}{T_p}\)

(1) There are 10,000 more students in School District M than there are in School District P --> \(S_m=S_p+10,000\). Not sufficient.

(2) The ratio of the number of teachers to the number of students in School District M is 1 to 20 --> \(\frac{T_m}{S_m}=\frac{1}{20}\). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Still not sufficient, consider \(S_p=1,000\) and \(S_m=11,000\) (answer 11) AND \(S_p=10,000\) and \(S_m=20,000\) (answer 2).

Answer: E.

Hi Bunuel,

I'm having a hard time following your reasoning for the scenario where 1&2 are combined. From your answer explanation, it looks like you just accounted for the first statement?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618680 [4]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If the ratio of the number of teachers to the number of students is the same in School District M and School District P, what is the ratio of the number of students in School District M to the number of students in School District P ?

Given that \(\frac{T_m}{S_m}=\frac{T_p}{S_p}\), where \(T_m\) and \(S_m\) are the numbers of teachers and students, respectively, in District M, and \(T_p\) and \(S_p\) are the numbers of teachers and students, respectively, in District P.

We need to find the value of \(\frac{S_m}{S_p}\) --> \(\frac{S_m}{S_p}=\frac{T_m}{T_p}\)

(1) There are 10,000 more students in School District M than there are in School District P --> \(S_m=S_p+10,000\). Not sufficient.

(2) The ratio of the number of teachers to the number of students in School District M is 1 to 20 --> \(\frac{T_m}{S_m}=\frac{1}{20}\). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Still not sufficient, consider \(S_p=1,000\) and \(S_m=11,000\) (answer 11) AND \(S_p=10,000\) and \(S_m=20,000\) (answer 2).

Hi Bunuel,

I'm having a hard time following your reasoning for the scenario where 1&2 are combined. From your answer explanation, it looks like you just accounted for the first statement?

Does the examples used for (1)+(2) violate the second statement in any way? No. The second statement gives the ratio of \(T_m\) to \(S_m\), which is of little use. If \(S_p=1,000\) and \(S_m=11,000\) (\(\frac{S_m}{S_p}=11\)), then according to the second statement \(T_m=550\) AND if \(S_p=10,000\) and \(S_m=20,000\) (\(\frac{S_m}{S_p}=2\)), then according to the second statement \(T_m=1000\).

Does this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
So the first step is to figure out what the original statement is saying and what it is looking for.
It says that the ratio of teachers so students is the same for school one and school two, so: T(M)/S(M)=T(P)/S(P)
and it wants to know the exact value of S(M)/S(P)

(1) essentially tells us S(M)=S(P)+10,000 but that doesn't tell us anything about the ratios, because S(M) could be 1 or 20,000
(2) tells us that T(M)/S(M)=1/20, thus T(P)/S(P)=1/20, however this tells us nothing about S(M)/S(P), because there could be one teacher in school m and 20 students and 100 teachers in school p and 2,000 students or vice versa.

Both together seems promising, because we know both ratios and that S(M)=S(P)+10,000 however there are still a variety of scenarios that fit that, so the answer is E
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [2]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Walkabout wrote:

(1) There are 10,000 more students in School District M than there are in School District P.
(2) The ratio of the number of teachers to the number of students in School District M is 1 to 20.

Solved this one by testing different values.

Statement (1)
\(\frac{Tm}{Sm}=\frac{3000}{12000} \frac{Tp}{Sp}=\frac{500}{2000}\) --> \(\frac{Sm}{Sp}=\frac{12000}{2000}\)=6

\(\frac{Tm}{Sm}=\frac{10000}{20000} \frac{Tp}{Sp}=\frac{5000}{10000}\) --> \(\frac{Sm}{Sp}=\frac{20000}{10000}\)=2

So we get 2 different ratios here - Not Sufficient

Statement (2) don't give us enough information - see example above

(1) + (2) calculation example above give us different outcomes for the ratios Answer (E)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I am new to preparation so I am confused a bit.

Ratio of M = [T1] / [S1]
Ratio of P = [T2] / [S2]

As said in question [T1] / [S1] = [T2] / [S2]
Considering statement 2
Ratio of M = [1] / [20]
Which mean ratio of P = [1] / [20]

As [T1]/ [S1] = [T2] / [S2]
So [T1] / [T2] = [S1] / [S2] = [20] / [20] = [1] / [1]
So ratio of Students of M to Students of P is 1:1.

Isn't question has just asked the ratio which can be found by statement 2 i.e 1:1? Where I am wrong? Thanks in advance for guidance.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Twitter wrote:
I am new to preparation so I am confused a bit.

Ratio of M = [T1] / [S1]
Ratio of P = [T2] / [S2]

As said in question [T1] / [S1] = [T2] / [S2]
Considering statement 2
Ratio of M = [1] / [20]
Which mean ratio of P = [1] / [20]

As [T1]/ [S1] = [T2] / [S2]
So [T1] / [T2] = [S1] / [S2] = [20] / [20] = [1] / [1]
So ratio of Students of M to Students of P is 1:1.

Isn't question has just asked the ratio which can be found by statement 2 i.e 1:1? Where I am wrong? Thanks in advance for guidance.

I have answered this question (why stmnt 2 alone is not sufficient) here:
if-the-ratio-of-the-number-of-teachers-to-the-number-of-143680.html#p1239274
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
Hello karishma
Is it necessary to plug in values in DS questions ? In which cases we should do it because in this question I did not check my answer by plugging in values.

Here is my method:

We know T/S=T'/S'
(T= teachers in school M; S= students in school M) (T'= Teachers in school P; S'=students in school P)

To find: S/S'=?

First statement: (S'+10000)/S'
(S=S'+10000)

So T/(S'+10000) = T'/S'
We have more than one unknown variables. Therefore not sufficient.
BCE

Statement 2: T/S=1/20
Even if we plug this ratio in the above equation, we would have more than one variable.

Thus, insufficient.

T/(S'+10000)= 1/20

(S'+10000)/(S'+10000)= T'/S'

T'/S'= 1/20

Couldn't go beyond this. More than one variable to solve and thus I chose E.

Please let me know if this makes sense.:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

hi,

and the ratios could still be 1/20 since we have no restrictions for the number of teachers... right ?

Thank you very much.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Schools: LBS '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.67
Send PM

(1) There are 10,000 more students in School District M than there are in School District P.
(2) The ratio of the number of teachers to the number of students in School District M is 1 to 20.

My 2 cents.

First, identify what is given and what is our goal.
Given : Mt / Ms = Pt / Ps
Goal : Find Ms / Ps

1) Ms = 10,000 + Ps --> insufficient, as we don't have any value for Ms or Ps
2) Mt / Ms = 1/20 --> insufficient, as we know nothing about Ps

For checking whether C is the answer,
we need to be careful of premise 2.
Premise 2 is giving us the "ratio", not the value...so we only have the relationship, but no value.
Therefore, as we have no value for Ms, C won't work.
Thus, E.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM