Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [45]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [9]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: The Missouri Compromise of 1820, a legislative effort to [#permalink]
its a absolute modifier.

Tests idioms.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [4]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Mattce,

I understood your doubt.
X, Y is a run on sentence if and only if X, Y are independent clauses( which means that both sentences must have main subject and a main verb ) and are not connected with any conjunction.

Example: I like to watch television, Watching television for long hours is not good for eyes. -> Run on sentence
I like to watch television, but watching television for long hours is not good for eyes. -> not a Run sentence(connected by but)

the sentence in QA - just the first of more than a half-dozen attempts to avert sectional civil war. is not an independent clause. Hence the option A is not a run-on sentence
Hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Send PM
swati007 wrote:
Hi Mattce,

I understood your doubt.
X, Y is a run on sentence if and only if X, Y are independent clauses( which means that both sentences must have main subject and a main verb ) and are not connected with any conjunction.

Example: I like to watch television, Watching television for long hours is not good for eyes. -> Run on sentence
I like to watch television, but watching television for long hours is not good for eyes. -> not a Run sentence(connected by but)

the sentence in QA - just the first of more than a half-dozen attempts to avert sectional civil war. is not an independent clause. Hence the option A is not a run-on sentence
Hope it helps

Hey - thank you for the clarification on run-ons.

Ok, I realize now that it's not a run-on sentence, but I still feel that it has some sort of error:

Your example sentence, "I like to watch television, but watching television for long hours is not good for eyes" is fine because of the conjunction, but I don't think this follows the same construct as this Kaplan question. Your example joins two independent clauses with a conjunction. Their answer adds on some sort of modifying phrase without any conjunction.

The problem's sentence construct is in my opinion equivalent to the following:

I love to eat chocolate, just the ones in the red box.
==
The 1820 Compromise is a failure, just the first of many.

I cannot identify what type of error this is, but it definitely sounds wrong to me.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [1]
Given Kudos: 221
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Marcab wrote:

Hey, thank you for the link.

I went through your thread and understand those examples, but to me they are very different from the sentence in this thread.

I can't put my finger on exactly how they differ, but the examples in the thread you linked sound correct to me, while the constructs that I see in these Kaplan examples just sound terrible.

Are you saying that "I love to eat chocolate, just the ones in the red box." is a correct sentence? Because this seems to be the structure of this problem's answer..

(I don't think your 'how' method applies to either of these sentences, which makes me even more certain that this is different.)

Edit:

I think the following sentence, which I know is grammatically correct, would be closer to those given in the thread that you linked:

The Missouri Compromise of 1820, a legislative effort to blah blah blah... was considered a failure, its dozens of goals never coming to fruition.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
The key here is to remember that 'and' introduces parallellism. with and you must repeat the 'as' ( remembered as)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
The key here is to remember that 'and' introduces parallellism. with and you must repeat the 'as' ( remembered as)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: HBS '20
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
a. just the first of more than a half-dozen attempts to avert
b. just the first of a half-dozen more attempts to avert
c. and the first attempt of more than a half-dozen attempts to avert
d. and just the first of more than a half-dozen attempts averting
e. and just the first of more than a half-dozen attempts aimed at averting

B-->change in meaning
C-->redundant...first attempt of more than ___ attempts? why not just say first of a few attempts
D-->attempts averting...wrong idiomatic structure
E-->attempts aimed at...again wrong idiomatic structure. You attempt TO do something.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Dear Mod , could not choose between A and B .
Kindly help.
regards
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kannu44 wrote:
Dear Mod , could not choose between A and B .
Kindly help.
regards

In A the number of attempts is more than 12. ("more" used as a comparative adjective of "many"- "than" is required)
In B the number of attempts is exactly 12. ("more" used to express "additional" - "than" not required because not a comparative form)

I do not see why A is better than B, but theortically when there are two gramatically correct options, select the one that adheres to the meaning of the original sentence. This may be the only justification for selecting A over B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
B changes the meaning to mean there were half-dozen more attempts, instead of more than half-dozen attempts. The word ‘and’ in C D E doesn’t add anything to the sentence, making it needlessly wordy. A is the best option for being concise and properly conveying the meaning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Can someone help me understanding this sentence. What's wrong with CDE if we view the sentence as "The Missouri Compromise of 1820 did not achieve its goal and thus x and y"
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos