Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [45]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [11]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [5]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [4]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Harry Potter VS Lord Voldemort [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
EDIT: nvm, completely missed the comma after Harry Potter
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:

(E) is just a huge modifier and has no main verb.

C is correct

Can you please elaborate, really need help regarding this, as to how to find out a main verb ... and how to decide whether the sentence is a modifier as in this case or a run on sentence ...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [3]
Given Kudos: 221
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
GMATPill wrote:
By the year 2008, Harry Potter, J.K. Rowlings' gripping book series portraying a young wizard's struggle against the evil wizard Lord Voldemort had around 400 million copies in print, making it more than that of almost any other English book ever written.

(A) book series portraying a young wizard's struggle against the evil wizard Lord Voldemort had around 200 million copies in print, making it more than

(B) book series portraying a young wizard's struggle against the evil wizard Lord Voldemort had around 200 million copies in print, which is more than

(C) book series portraying a young wizard's struggle against the evil wizard Lord Voldemort, had around 200 million copies in print, more than

(D) book series portraying a young wizard's struggle against the evil wizard Lord Voldemort, had around 200 million copies in print, making it more than

(E) book series portraying a young wizard's struggle against the evil wizard Lord Voldemort had around 200 million copies in print and is more than

original source: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/1539

Whenever you see "it", try to analyse which noun it refers to. Here it refers to "book series". Now think, how can a book series be "more than any other English book", it can't. Eliminate A and D.
E is also similar because here we can raise a question- what is more than any other English book. Is it "book series"? But how can a "book series" be more than any other English book. Eliminate E.

By the time you arrive at B and C, you may notice that there is a difference in terms of punctuation comma. The comma is needed to properly use the modifier "more than...." which clearly modifies the number, whereas in B "which" is incorrectly used.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.61
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GMATPill wrote:
By the year 2008, Harry Potter, J.K. Rowlings' gripping book series portraying a young wizard's struggle against the evil wizard Lord Voldemort had around 400 million copies in print, making it more than that of almost any other English book ever written.

(A) book series portraying a young wizard's struggle against the evil wizard Lord Voldemort had around 200 million copies in print, making it more than

(B) book series portraying a young wizard's struggle against the evil wizard Lord Voldemort had around 200 million copies in print, which is more than

(C) book series portraying a young wizard's struggle against the evil wizard Lord Voldemort, had around 200 million copies in print, more than

(D) book series portraying a young wizard's struggle against the evil wizard Lord Voldemort, had around 200 million copies in print, making it more than

(E) book series portraying a young wizard's struggle against the evil wizard Lord Voldemort had around 200 million copies in print and is more than

Hi GMATPILL,

in the question stem " that of almost any other English book ever written.", shouldn't of be for?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
We make copies of something.
Lets take an example:
"I am supposed to get 4 copies of the insurance papers that were kept in the drawer."
Do you think that it should be "for". Let's try the same.
"I am supposed to get 4 copies for the insurance papers that were kept in the drawer."
Usage of "for" changes the meaning and its illogical too.
Regards,
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
cumulonimbus wrote:
GMATPill wrote:

Hi GMATPILL,

in the question stem " that of almost any other English book ever written.", shouldn't of be for?

It should be OF - as shown in the non-underlined portion of the sentence.

This is a common comparison structure.

"His GMAT score is higher than that of any other test taker."

You are comparing the gmat score of "him" versus the gmat score OF any other test taker.

"200M copies in print, more than that [the # of copies of print] of almost any other English book ever written."

Here you are comparing the # of copies of print of "Harry Potter" versus the # of copies of print OF almost any other Enligsh book ever written.

So in English, we use the word "OF" in this context to compare things that are kind of a "sub-element" of something we are referring to.

FOR would be incorrect.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [2]
Send PM
Re: By the year 2008, Harry Potter, J.K. Rowlings' gripping book [#permalink]
Kudos