Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [95]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [43]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619020 [26]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [20]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: A box contains 3 yellow balls and 5 black balls. One by one [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
AKProdigy87 wrote:
The answer should be C: 5/8.

The initial probability of drawing a certain ball is the same as the probability of drawing that certain ball at any future point. Essentially, the "Expected" proportion of ball distribution for any round (3rd ball drawn, 4th ball drawn, etc.) is the same as the initial proportion.

That was simply amazing

My complicated version of your simple approach

Let the 5 black balls be BBBBB and 3 Red Balls be RRR

They can be arranged in 8 slots _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
in (8!)/ (5!x3!)

If the fourth slot is Black ball then the arrangement will be to fill
_ _ _ B _ _ _ _
we have 7 slots and 4 Black (BBBB) and 3 Red (RRR)

They can be arranged in (7!)/ (4!x3!)

Hence required probability = [(7!)/ (4!x3!)] / [(8!)/ (5!x3!)]

Ans = 5/8

Originally posted by manulath on 07 Jun 2012, 03:37.
Last edited by manulath on 07 Jun 2012, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [14]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The answer should be C: 5/8.

The initial probability of drawing a certain ball is the same as the probability of drawing that certain ball at any future point. Essentially, the "Expected" proportion of ball distribution for any round (3rd ball drawn, 4th ball drawn, etc.) is the same as the initial proportion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
AKProdigy87, that's correct but I wonder how many people would be quick to realize that the probability is that same as in the first draw :).
The other route of doing a tree diagram takes 4 mins at least !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
jeffm wrote:
AKProdigy87, that's correct but I wonder how many people would be quick to realize that the probability is that same as in the first draw :).

It's very intuitive. A formal proof would involve noticing that for each sequence of 4 balls that get pulled out (x1,x2,x3,x4) there is a corresponding sequence (x4,x2,x3,x1) that can be pull out with the same probability (we pull out 4 balls and then order them in a sequence) -> Prob(x4=black) = Prob(x1=black).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
AKP : The initial probability of drawing a certain ball is the same as the probability of drawing that certain ball at any future point. Essentially, the "Expected" proportion of ball distribution for any round (3rd ball drawn, 4th ball drawn, etc.) is the same as the initial proportion.

question: will this hold for both with replacement and without replacement?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [4]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
manojgmat wrote:
AKP : The initial probability of drawing a certain ball is the same as the probability of drawing that certain ball at any future point. Essentially, the "Expected" proportion of ball distribution for any round (3rd ball drawn, 4th ball drawn, etc.) is the same as the initial proportion.

question: will this hold for both with replacement and without replacement?

With replacement, it's pretty obvious that the probability will hold constant. Without replacement, it's a bit harder to see. Imagine if you had 3 balls (2 black, 1 yellow). What's the probability you draw a black ball on the 3rd draw? It will be 2/3. The reason is that 2/3 of the time, there will be black ball left. So the expected value of the colour of the third ball is 2/3 Black and 1/3 Yellow. The same principle applies to a 4th draw of 8 balls.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
3 yellow 5 black
possible outcomes for the first 3 tries and 4th is black
yyyb - 3/8 * 2/7 * 1/6 * 5/5 = 30/(8*7*6*5)
yybb - 3/8 * 2/7 * 5/6 * 4/5 = 120/(8*7*6*5)
ybyb - 3/8 * 5/7 * 2/6 * 4/5 = 120/(8*7*6*5)
ybbb -3/8 * 5/7 * 4/6 * 3/5 = 180/(8*7*6*5)
bbbb - 5/8 * 4/7 * 3/6 * 2/5 = 120/(8*7*6*5)
bbyb - 5/8 * 4/7 * 3/6 * 3/5 = 180/(8*7*6*5)
bybb - 5/8 * 3/7 * 4/6 * 3/5 = 180/(8*7*6*5)
byyb - 5/8 * 3/7 * 2/6 * 4/5 = 120/(8*7*6*5)

total = 1050/(8*7*6*5)= 5/8
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: World Domination, Finance, Political Corporatization, Marketing, Strategy
Schools:LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
 Q47  V32
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
The initial probability of drawing black ball is 5/8. Without knowing the other results, the probability of drawing black ball will not change for ANY successive drawing: second, third, fourth... The same for yellow ball probability of drawing yellow ball is 3/8, the probability that 8th ball drawn is yellow is still 3/8. There is simply no reason to believe WHY is any drawing different from another (provided we don't know the other results).

Hope it's clear.

Selected balls aren't replaced. The first ball to be black is 5/8 and to be yellow is 3/8. But, for the second ball selected to be black, it could still be 5/7 or 4/7. So, for the probability of third ball to be black, the first two could be black, or just one, or none could be black at all. Going by this counting technique..., I don't see how to calculate the fourth ball's probability to be black.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619020 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
BarneyStinson wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
The initial probability of drawing black ball is 5/8. Without knowing the other results, the probability of drawing black ball will not change for ANY successive drawing: second, third, fourth... The same for yellow ball probability of drawing yellow ball is 3/8, the probability that 8th ball drawn is yellow is still 3/8. There is simply no reason to believe WHY is any drawing different from another (provided we don't know the other results).

Hope it's clear.

Selected balls aren't replaced. The first ball to be black is 5/8 and to be yellow is 3/8. But, for the second ball selected to be black, it could still be 5/7 or 4/7. So, for the probability of third ball to be black, the first two could be black, or just one, or none could be black at all. Going by this counting technique..., I don't see how to calculate the fourth ball's probability to be black.

Consider this: there are 8 cards, 5 spades, 3 hearts. What is the probability that the first card you pick will be spade? Clearly 5/8.

Now next question, suppose I throw away three cards at random, not telling you which cards I thrown away. What is the probability NOW that you pick a spade out of 5 remaining cards? I've just reduced the sample from which you pick, but does the probability changed? WHY should it change?

Another question, the same cards 5 spades and 3 hearts: I say that you can pick one card but only out of randomly selected 5 cards. What is the probability that the card you pick will be spade?

I think there is no difference in ALL above cases and the probability will remain 5/8. If it changed, increased (or decreased), it would mean that the probability of picking heart on the other hand decreased (or increased). Why would it?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
BarneyStinson wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

Consider this: there are 8 cards, 5 spades, 3 hearts. What is the probability that the first card you pick will be spade? Clearly 5/8.

Now next question, suppose I throw away three cards at random, not telling you which cards I thrown away. What is the probability NOW that you pick a spade out of 5 remaining cards? I've just reduced the sample from which you pick, but does the probability changed? WHY should it change?

Another question, the same cards 5 spades and 3 hearts: I say that you can pick one card but only out of randomly selected 5 cards. What is the probability that the card you pick will be spade?

I think there is no difference in ALL above cases and the probability will remain 5/8. If it changed, increased (or decreased), it would mean that the probability of picking heart on the other hand decreased (or increased). Why would it?

Nice explanation didn't thought after reading questin that it was so simple.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619020 [11]
Send PM
Kudos