Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16650 [31]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618804 [23]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6041 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618804 [2]
Send PM
Re: In the xy-coordinate system, do any points on line k lie in quadrant I [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Coordinate Geometry: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

All DS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=41
All PS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=62
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Re: In the xy-coordinate system, do any points on line k lie in quadrant I [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Bunuel,
I just want to clear my doubt. If the 2nd statement had been " Line K has negative slope" then we would have required both statements together to answer the question. correct??
Regards,
Narenn
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618804 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Narenn wrote:
Dear Bunuel,
I just want to clear my doubt. If the 2nd statement had been " Line K has negative slope" then we would have required both statements together to answer the question. correct??
Regards,
Narenn

Absolutely. Notice that in this case the answer to the question would be NO.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
hmm.. You are correct.
Thanks
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Narenn wrote:
hmm.. You are correct.
Thanks

Let me make clear: you are correct the answer would be C, but the answer to the question whether "any points on line k lie in quadrant III" would be NO.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
In the xy-coordinate system, do any points on line k lie in quadrant III?

You should just visualize this to solve.

(1) Line k has y-intercept 2 --> if the slope is negative or zero then K will not pass through the III quadrant but if it's positive then it will. Not sufficient.

(2) Line k has slope 2/3 --> any line with positive slope passes through the quadrants I and III. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Check the image below:

Red and blue lines do not pass through III quadrant and green one does. Notice that any line parallel to green line (so with a slope of 2/3) will also pass through III quadrant.

Some notes:
1. If the slope of line is negative, line WILL intersect quadrants II and IV. X and Y intersects of the line with negative slope have the same sign. Therefore if X and Y intersects are positive, line intersects the quadrant I too, if negative quadrant III.

2. If the slope of line is positive, line WILL intersect quadrants I and III. Y and X intersects of the line with positive slope have opposite signs. Therefore if X intersect is negative, line intersects the quadrant II too, if positive quadrant IV.

3. Every line (but the one crosses origin OR parallel to X or Y axis OR X and Y axis themselves) crosses three quadrants. Only the line which crosses origin (0,0) OR is parallel of either of axis crosses two quadrants.

4. If a line is horizontal the line has slope 0, is parallel to X-axis and crosses quadrant I and II, if the Y intersect is positive OR quadrants III and IV, if the Y intersect is negative. Equation of such line is y=b, where b is y intersect.

5. If a line is vertical, the slope is not defined, line is parallel to Y-axis and crosses quadrant I and IV, if the X intersect is positive and quadrant II and III, if the X intersect is negative. Equation of such line is x=a, where a is x-intercept.

Check this: https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-xy-coo ... 86074.html and this: https://gmatclub.com/forum/math-coordina ... 87652.html for more.

Hope it helps.

Attachment:
graph (2).png

I am not clear the below issue. Kindly help me to clear the below issue.

In your graph, you have showed a line , h(x) = 2/3 X+2 , where slope is 2/3.

But if I calculate slope form your figure, it is -2/3.

slope= rise/run = 2/-3=-2/3.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rashed12 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
In the xy-coordinate system, do any points on line k lie in quadrant III?

You should just visualize this to solve.

(1) Line k has y-intercept 2 --> if the slope is negative or zero then K will not pass through the III quadrant but if it's positive then it will. Not sufficient.

(2) Line k has slope 2/3 --> any line with positive slope passes through the quadrants I and III. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Check the image below:

Red and blue lines do not pass through III quadrant and green one does. Notice that any line parallel to green line (so with a slope of 2/3) will also pass through III quadrant.

Some notes:
1. If the slope of line is negative, line WILL intersect quadrants II and IV. X and Y intersects of the line with negative slope have the same sign. Therefore if X and Y intersects are positive, line intersects the quadrant I too, if negative quadrant III.

2. If the slope of line is positive, line WILL intersect quadrants I and III. Y and X intersects of the line with positive slope have opposite signs. Therefore if X intersect is negative, line intersects the quadrant II too, if positive quadrant IV.

3. Every line (but the one crosses origin OR parallel to X or Y axis OR X and Y axis themselves) crosses three quadrants. Only the line which crosses origin (0,0) OR is parallel of either of axis crosses two quadrants.

4. If a line is horizontal the line has slope 0, is parallel to X-axis and crosses quadrant I and II, if the Y intersect is positive OR quadrants III and IV, if the Y intersect is negative. Equation of such line is y=b, where b is y intersect.

5. If a line is vertical, the slope is not defined, line is parallel to Y-axis and crosses quadrant I and IV, if the X intersect is positive and quadrant II and III, if the X intersect is negative. Equation of such line is x=a, where a is x-intercept.

Check this: https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-xy-coo ... 86074.html and this: https://gmatclub.com/forum/math-coordina ... 87652.html for more.

Hope it helps.

Attachment:
graph (2).png

I am not clear the below issue. Kindly help me to clear the below issue.

In your graph, you have showed a line , h(x) = 2/3 X+2 , where slope is 2/3.

But if I calculate slope form your figure, it is -2/3.

slope= rise/run = 2/-3=-2/3.

How did you calculate the slope?

Given two points \((x_1,y_1)\) and \((x_2,y_2)\) on a line, the slope \(m\) of the line is:

\(m=\frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}\)

So, take tow points on green line, say (-3, 0) and (0, 2). The slope of a line passing those points is \(m=\frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}=\frac{2-0}{0-(-3)}=\frac{2}{3}\)

Also, if the equation of the line is given in the Point-intercept form: \(y=mx+b\), then \(m\) is the slope. So, the slope of h(x) = 2/3*x + 2 is 2/3.

P.S. Please do NOT report a post the way you did. Reporting should generally be used only if the post breaks forum rules. NOT if you need some help. Use reply for that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 4
Send PM
Who said that line k is infinitive? i.e. could start and end in quadrant I

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618804 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Duco11000 wrote:
Who said that line k is infinitive? i.e. could start and end in quadrant I

Posted from my mobile device

In Geometry a line:
• is straight (no bends),
• has no thickness, and.
• extends in both directions without end (infinitely).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
In the xy-coordinate system, do any points on line k lie in quadrant 3 [#permalink]
In the xy-coordinate system, do any points on line k lie in quadrant III? This is a Data sufficiency question so the answers are generic

(1) Line k has y-intercept 2

(2) Line k has slope 2/3

I have a doubt here, I know that the answer is B, but I have a doubt. Cant a line with a positive slop start from a y intercept in the 1st quadrant or cant it pass through 4th and 1st quadrant or 2nd a 1st quadrant. Here it is only mentioned line K. it can start from anywhere but then why if it has a positive slope it has to go through 3rd quadrant. Does the principle of extension of a line to infinity apply here too. I thought when a line K is given its assumed to be finite in a coordinate geometry question.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: In the xy-coordinate system, do any points on line k lie in quadrant 3 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
arry232 wrote:
I thought when a line K is given its assumed to be finite in a coordinate geometry question.

It's the opposite, in fact. In coordinate geometry, a line is infinite. If a question means to talk about a finite length, it will usually talk about a "line segment", or provide a diagram that illustrates just a line segment (or edge of a square, etc). It's because coordinate geometry lines are infinite that the answer here is B. If the line here was instead a line segment, so was finite, then the answer would be E, as your examples prove.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts