Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2233 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Re: Depending on which scholar you consult, either Daniel Defoe’s Robinson [#permalink]
A. Presence of 'OR' means the sentence is singular. This rules out C,D and E. B has being which is wrong. So A.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [2]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Depending on which scholar you consult, either Daniel Defoe’s Robinson [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi,
Depending on which scholar you consult, either Daniel Defoe’s Robinson Crusoe, Henry Fielding’s Joseph Andrews, or Samuel Richardson’s Pamela is believed to have been the first English novel ever written.

(A) is believed to have been the first English novel ever written.
(B) is believed as being the first English novel ever written.
(C) are the English novels believed to be the first written.
(D) are the English novels which were believed as the first written.
(E) are the first English novels ever believed to be written.

@navi19: Plural verb can be used with the idiom “either… or…” depending on the context of the sentence. Consider the following examples:
1. Either the teacher or the students are responsible for this indiscipline.
2. Either the students or the teacher is responsible for this indiscipline.
So, the noun that appears after “or” decides the number of the verb. If the noun preceding “or” is singular, then the verb should be singular and vice-versa.
In the sentence in question, the correct verb to be used is certainly “is” because “Samuel Richardson’s Pamela” is a singular noun.
Between A and B, A is correct because it used the correct idiom “believed to have been written”. The correct idiom is “believed” to be something.
Hope this helps.
Shraddha.

Princeton Review Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 940 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Official answer:

This sentence has a clear 2/3 split between is and are in the answer choices. When the questions have such a clear split, it is in your best interest to look into that error type first. In this case it is a subject/verb error because the split is between is, a singular verb, and "are", a plural verb so you have to check the subject. This sentence has a combined subject connected with an "or" so the last item in the list controls single/plural. Because the book Pamela is singular, you need a singular verb and C, D and E are eliminated.

The next issue is which preposition goes most appropriatedly wiht the verb Believed. it is idiomatic to say you believe something "To", not "as" thus A is the correct answer.

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I have a question about the number of items in the list. How can this list have 3 items and be separated by either ... or .... ? When using "either, or", shouldn't we have only 2 items?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
kalcee wrote:
I have a question about the number of items in the list. How can this list have 3 items and be separated by either ... or .... ? When using "either, or", shouldn't we have only 2 items?

No, it is not necessary that if we deal with "either...or", we need to have only two items. International magazines such as "Economist", "The scientific american" etc deal with such sentences regularly.

Hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
There is a similar question in the Kaplan Books, that I don't understand:

Depending on which scholar you consult, Christopher Columbus, Leif Ericson, or the Chinese eunuch Zheng Ho is credited with being the first explorer from the Eurasian continent to have traveled to the New World by ship.

A) is credited with being the first explorer from the Eurasian continent to have traveled to the New World by ship
B) is credited to be the first explorer from the Eurasian continent to have traveled to the New World by ship
C) is credited to have been the first explorer from the Eurasian continent to have traveled to the New World by ship
D) are credited with being the first explorers from the Eurasian continent to have traveled to the New World by ship
E) are credited to be the first explorers from the Eurasian continent to have traveled to the New World by ship

I understand is credited is correct, so D and E are out. O/A states that that correct idiom is credited with (A) but the sentence still sounds wrong because it is written, "credited with being". Can someone shed some insight?
Manager
Manager
Status:I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
stephyw wrote:

Depending on which scholar you consult, Christopher Columbus, Leif Ericson, or the Chinese eunuch Zheng Ho is credited with being the first explorer from the Eurasian continent to have traveled to the New World by ship.

A) is credited with being the first explorer from the Eurasian continent to have traveled to the New World by ship
B) is credited to be the first explorer from the Eurasian continent to have traveled to the New World by ship
C) is credited to have been the first explorer from the Eurasian continent to have traveled to the New World by ship
D) are credited with being the first explorers from the Eurasian continent to have traveled to the New World by ship
E) are credited to be the first explorers from the Eurasian continent to have traveled to the New World by ship

I understand is credited is correct, so D and E are out. O/A states that that correct idiom is credited with (A) but the sentence still sounds wrong because it is written, "credited with being". Can someone shed some insight?

Correct idiom is "credited with"

ex: your account iscredited with 200$.
Use of "being" is not always wrong.
Being can be used as a participle or a noun depending on context.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Subject is singular, so C, D, D are out.
B is wrong in bcz of wrong use of being.
IMHO correct answer is A.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.9
WE:General Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
stephyw wrote:

I didn't understand this question. There's no mention of the word, "Either", does it still count as singular?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts