Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [17]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [6]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [2]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q50 V14
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V29
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Fed Policy [#permalink]
Kudos
It could only be option A!

3 of the 5 had errors like "a struggling " which immediately rule out C,D,& E.

Option B is wrong because it ends with "and are" instead of the correct form " , are "
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Send PM
Re: Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal [#permalink]
I think rule rule here is other choices are worst so go with A.

I do not get the explianation of subject - verb error of B...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q50 V14
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V29
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
blueseas wrote:
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:
I think rule rule here is other choices are worst so go with A.

I do not get the explianation of subject - verb error of B...

hi amit,

in the original sentence HIGHLITED part is a modifier....set between the commas.
and after the modifier VERB are==>is acting as a verb for the subject economists....which is correct.

Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal Reserve,now seeing the economy as struggling with negative growth and high inflation, are almost certain to implement further rounds of quantitative easing in the near future.

now if you just fit option B the original sentence becomes:

Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal Reserve,now seeing the economy to be struggling with negative growth and high inflation and are almost certain to implement further rounds of quantitative easing in the near future.

in this option...the part starting with now seeing the economy....is acting as modifier..moreover because of the removal of comma before are..that part is also coming under MODIFIER part....hence the verb for the subject IS MISSING...
thats the major ERROR in this part.

hope it helps

Great Explaination. I agree with you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 243
Send PM
This question might sound stupid but I thought a modifier is linked to the Noun before a comma. And in this case, Federal reserve is the NOUN, hence adding 'who' will create the correct linkage.
Please clarify.

Thanks,
Amit
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Amit0507 wrote:
This question might sound stupid but I thought a modifier is linked to the Noun before a comma. And in this case, Federal reserve is the NOUN, hence adding 'who' will create the correct linkage.
Please clarify.

Thanks,
Amit

Hi,

WHO and WHOM===>they can only modify human beings...and ....reverse is also true...human beings can only be modified by WHO and WHOM.

if you modify human beings using THAT /WHICH==>this will always bewrong.

now in this question.

federal reserve===>this is NOT a human being...hence we cant use WHO after that.

hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Send PM
blueseas wrote:
Amit0507 wrote:
Please clarify.

Thanks,
Amit

Hi,

WHO and WHOM===>they can only modify human beings...and ....reverse is also true...human beings can only be modified by WHO and WHOM.

if you modify human beings using THAT /WHICH==>this will always bewrong.

now in this question.

federal reserve===>this is NOT a human being...hence we cant use WHO after that.

hope it helps

Hi,
Here I guess we are referring to Policy officials (not Federal Reserve)...... who see the economy ....... This prompted me to raise this doubt.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Send PM
Amit0507 wrote:
]

Hi,
Here I guess we are referring to Policy officials (not Federal Reserve)...... who see the economy ....... This prompted me to raise this doubt.

Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal Reserve, now seeingthe economy as struggling with negative growth and high inflation, are almost certain to implement further rounds of quantitative easing in the near future.

meaning of the sentence is:
MANY ECONOMIST ==>THEY ARE SEEING THE ECONOMY...and not the policy officials..
now as economist see this economy is struggling...based on this econmist believe that policy officials ==>are almost certain to implement......
this is the intended meaning

how to understand.==>whenever you see...comma +verb-ing==>then this modifier modifies the whole clause...and not the previous noun
in this case it is COMMA NOW SEEING==>hence this modifies whole clause hence the subject of the previous clause tooo.

moreover WHO always refer to nearest noun....it will not jump over one noun..as you said meaning wise it is refering to policy officials.
so if it is placed after federal reserve it is going to modify FEDERAL RESERVE ...and will not jump to policy officials

hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Send PM
blueseas wrote:
Amit0507 wrote:
]

Hi,

Many economists believe that policy officials at the Federal Reserve, now seeingthe economy as struggling with negative growth and high inflation, are almost certain to implement further rounds of quantitative easing in the near future.

now as economist see this economy is struggling...based on this econmist believe that policy officials ==>are almost certain to implement......

how to understand.==>whenever you see...comma +verb-ing==>then this modifier modifies the whole clause...and not the previous noun
in this case it is COMMA NOW SEEING==>hence this modifies whole clause hence the subject of the previous clause tooo.

moreover WHO always refer to nearest noun....it will not jump over one noun..as you said meaning wise it is refering to policy officials.
so if it is placed after federal reserve it is going to modify FEDERAL RESERVE ...and will not jump to policy officials

hope it helps

Hi,
Thanks for the response, but I do not agree with your explanation for 2 reasons:
1. Who and whom are used to describe humans only, so no way it will refer to 'Federal reserve'
2. As per your explanation, Economists BELIEVE and SEE in this sentence which I guess is a wrong inference.

Thanks,
Amit
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Send PM
Amit0507 wrote:
blueseas wrote:
Amit0507 wrote:
]

Hi,

hope it helps

Hi,
Thanks for the response, but I do not agree with your explanation for 2 reasons:
1. Who and whom are used to describe humans only, so no way it will refer to 'Federal reserve'
2. As per your explanation, Economists BELIEVE and SEE in this sentence which I guess is a wrong inference.

Thanks,
Amit

PLEASE REFER THESE.

https://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/whoVwhVt.asp
usage-of-verb-ing-modifiers-135220.html

HOPE IT HELPS
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
hey guys, it's my first time to use the GMATPILL, I was wondering how I can know if my answer is corrent or not? It seems that I can only see the QUESTIOM STATS above the question stem.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts