Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Princeton Review Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 940 [30]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Princeton Review Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 940 [19]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [10]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Send PM
Re: Each of the vegetables [#permalink]
Kudos
A incorrect because past perfect is not needed as before correct define the sequence

B is correct

C They is incorrect , each of the vegetables is singular subject

D same A

E awkward
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6042 [1]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Kudos
As per the meaning and sequencing of events The vegetables were washed and then they were sold.

Only A and D have the right tense. Since "each" is singular you need "it"

So A is incorrect because of "they" Hence Answer is D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [4]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:
Official Answer:

There are two main issues in this sentence, pronoun and verb tense. I will choose to work with verb tense as the first issue. In this case, one thing happened before another in the past and therefore the first event requires the use of past perfect while the second event requires simple past. There are some cases, in which specific time is mentioned in which past perfect is optional but this is not such a case because the event happened at an undetermined time in the past. Therefore past perfect is required and B, C and E are eliminated.

The second issue is pronoun. Answer D uses "it" while Answer A uses "they". most people think the subject of the sentence is vegetables but the subject of a sentence cannot be in a prepositional phrase. Therefore, the subject of the sentence is Each, which is a singular pronoun thus the correct pronoun is "it" and the answer is D.

I want to know if it is a questions from GMAC.

Also i want to know if the past perfect tense is actually required here since use of "before" already denotes the time sequence correctly. I want further discussion on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Send PM
Past perfect is not required when sequence of events is evident with the use of words like Before and After.
In this case before clearly states that vegetables were washed before selling.

Please let me know if my information on this subject is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:
Past perfect is not required when sequence of events is evident with the use of words like Before and After.

above idea is correct.

this question is wrong. both choice b and d are correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:

I don't agree with you. I think that 'before' is obvious signal that we must use 'had' to indicate 1 action occurred before another one. If its possible cite the source for such a strict rule that you said. thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Each of the vegetables in the store had been washed with [#permalink]
i think option b is correct as the use of the word "before" clearly states that the veggies were washed before selling...could someone please elaborate and explain why we cannot omit the use of past perfect tense.

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Ace99 wrote:
i think option b is correct as the use of the word "before" clearly states that the veggies were washed before selling...could someone please elaborate and explain why we cannot omit the use of past perfect tense.

Thanks

In fact you can go either way. B and D are both fine.

If the order of the events is clear "X before Y" the past perfect is not required (I cannot say it's wrong, but it's unnecessary).
There is no much evidence to choose between B and D, so if you pick B you are fine.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 557 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:
Official Answer:

There are two main issues in this sentence, pronoun and verb tense. I will choose to work with verb tense as the first issue. In this case, one thing happened before another in the past and therefore the first event requires the use of past perfect while the second event requires simple past. There are some cases, in which specific time is mentioned in which past perfect is optional but this is not such a case because the event happened at an undetermined time in the past. Therefore past perfect is required and B, C and E are eliminated.

The second issue is pronoun. Answer D uses "it" while Answer A uses "they". most people think the subject of the sentence is vegetables but the subject of a sentence cannot be in a prepositional phrase. Therefore, the subject of the sentence is Each, which is a singular pronoun thus the correct pronoun is "it" and the answer is D.

Really nice explanation. Except for I did not understand past perfect and everything. Anyways I looked up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
Send PM
Bookmarks
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:
Official Answer:

So this is 2015, and from what I have gathered, B is grammatically correct (and actually preferred over D, as it is suggested in MGMAT SC Guide to stay away from perfect tenses unless they are necessary). The time indicator "before" makes the usage of past perfect unnecessary, regardless of exactly when the washing happened.
But you are an expert who has stated otherwise, and I'm really interested in knowing if B can still be considered incorrect. Any opinions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
had been is needed because there was an activity that happened in the past before another action that happened in the past. Also, it is required at the end because each is the subject and of the vegetables is the prep phrase.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:
Official Answer:

Can you please explain how do we determine the 'undetermined' and 'undetermined' time? After reading the above example my first thought was that we don't need a past perfect tense to express the meaning of the sentence effectively. Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.75
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
koolgmat wrote:
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:
Official Answer:

I want to know if it is a questions from GMAC.

Also i want to know if the past perfect tense is actually required here since use of "before" already denotes the time sequence correctly. I want further discussion on this.

I also selected B . Not sure why D is the answer . There is obvious sequence in the two action . Can any expert help. Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
I read through all the solutions presented here, but I still don't exactly understand why the presence of 'before' in B does not preclude the use of past perfect here.

Can someone please explain this!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Still, I don't understand why 'D' is OA when the question clearly mentions 'Before". Ruled out 'D' just because the usage of Past perfect tense is not necessary.
Chose 'B'.

Looking forward to an expert to give an explanation.
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
navderm wrote:
I read through all the solutions presented here, but I still don't exactly understand why the presence of 'before' in B does not preclude the use of past perfect here.

Hi

Let me try to address your query.

A past perfect tense is used when there are two events occurring in the past, to refer to the earlier of those two events. Let us plug in answer option (B) into the sentence and examine it:

Each of the vegetables in the store was washed with vegetable wash before it was sold.

As we can clearly see, there are two events happening in the past tense:

Earlier event: washed with vegetable wash
Later event: was sold

We need to use the past perfect tense to refer to the earlier event. Hence, "washed with vegetable wash" needs to be preceded by "had been".

Hope this clarifies.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Send PM
svasan05 wrote:
navderm wrote:

Hi

Let me try to address your query.

A past perfect tense is used when there are two events occurring in the past, to refer to the earlier of those two events. Let us plug in answer option (B) into the sentence and examine it:

Each of the vegetables in the store was washed with vegetable wash before it was sold.

As we can clearly see, there are two events happening in the past tense:

Earlier event: washed with vegetable wash
Later event: was sold

We need to use the past perfect tense to refer to the earlier event. Hence, "washed with vegetable wash" needs to be preceded by "had been".

Hope this clarifies.

Not satisfied with your explanation since in Aristotle, it is clearly mentioned that if phrases like "before"/previously etc. is explicitly mentioned in the sentence then there is no need to use a past perfect. However, we can still use a past perfect if we want to
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts