Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [23]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [2]
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [4]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: 640 to 750: How I braved myself and won over the GMAT ghost. [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear abikumar,

Congratulations on your fantastic score improvement. With your IIT background, this will help you get into most Unis.

First things first =>
Quote:
After 5 years of smoking continuously and a year of drinking wine almost every third day, I completely quit smoking and drinking for 30 days to increase my comprehension level

Rajat: I learn something every day. I never realized there was a direct correlation. I wonder if the same (giving up drinking wine) applies to French as well :) . It would be interesting to see a study.

Quote:
Imp point: When you are not panicking to quickly read and understand the passage so that you can complete all the 41 questions, you "Actually" are able to quickly read and understand the passage. Believe me, I was able to complete the verbal in time, I only panicked when i took the break, so rushed through the Long Passage that i came across

Rajat: Absolutely right => as I say, read slowly to save time. Its counter intutive but works.

Congratulations once again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Dear abikumar,

Congratulations on your fantastic score improvement. With your IIT background, this will help you get into most Unis.

First things first =>
Quote:
After 5 years of smoking continuously and a year of drinking wine almost every third day, I completely quit smoking and drinking for 30 days to increase my comprehension level

Rajat: I learn something every day. I never realized there was a direct correlation. I wonder if the same (giving up drinking wine) applies to French as well :) . It would be interesting to see a study.

Quote:
Imp point: When you are not panicking to quickly read and understand the passage so that you can complete all the 41 questions, you "Actually" are able to quickly read and understand the passage. Believe me, I was able to complete the verbal in time, I only panicked when i took the break, so rushed through the Long Passage that i came across

Rajat: Absolutely right => as I say, read slowly to save time. Its counter intutive but works.

Congratulations once again.

Rajat,

Thanks a lot for your wishes. During my second preparation, I still remember waking up every Sat and Sun morning to attend the e-gmat classes. Best thing about those classes was that they were too personal and treated everyone individually. They were just like classrooms: online and with advanced technology. I learned a lot with you guys. Thanks again.

Regards,
Abhishek
Intern
Intern
Send PM
And regarding my vices :wink: (smoking and drinking), quitting smoking definitely helped me, as fluctuations in nicotine levels were driving me crazy during the initial mocks, and I was always too tempted to take a "smoke-break". And well, quitting drinking was a way to keep myself away from smoking as much as possible. Am pretty sure the French guys will hate my methodology. :wink: :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.86
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats on your awesome score. But what caught my eye and surprized me is your quant score. How can u come up with a 51 in every single mock !! :O

I will b sitting for my GMAT within 4 months. I am hitting in the 47 - 49 range in quant but have been very weak in the verbal section. So, I am emphasizing on my verbal prep more. But I would really like to know from u, how can I take my quant skill to that awesome level of yours or atleast near yours ?? Please give me a guideline on the total quant prep which can help me to get a Q51 !!! :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
QUANT

asifibaju wrote:
Congrats on your awesome score. But what caught my eye and surprized me is your quant score. How can u come up with a 51 in every single mock !! :O

I will b sitting for my GMAT within 4 months. I am hitting in the 47 - 49 range in quant but have been very weak in the verbal section. So, I am emphasizing on my verbal prep more. But I would really like to know from u, how can I take my quant skill to that awesome level of yours or atleast near yours ?? Please give me a guideline on the total quant prep which can help me to get a Q51 !!! :D

Hi asifibaju,

I did the Manhattan Gmat 5th Ed guide books, and completed them first even though the questions were simpler than my level of Q49 (Just to build gmat question knowledge from basics). Then I completed the Mgmat Advanced Quant 20 days before my exam. Good thing about MGMAT advanced Quant is that it has 150 questions in 15 exercises at the end. I did 1 exercise everyday, for the next 15 days (till 5 days before the exam) to not loose my quant thinking. The reason I was getting Q51 in every test was that i was trying to minimize silly mistakes as my general quant knowledge has increased from Q49 to Q50-51 (Like in one of the mocks, i noticed this mistakes: 600+200 = 1000). I'd suggest that in the first few mocks, check the question type in which you are making mistakes (Like I did, my first mgmat quant mock score was 44). I assume you have taken gmatprep mocks, so take 2 mgmat mocks, and from out of 74 questions, check in which areas you are making mistakes. Areawise, mark them as: "Silly, Knowledge Gap, Time Constraint", and do those areas again from either MGMAT books, or whichever prep material you are working with so that you wont make that kind of mistake again. Also, Jeff Sackmann book is quite good in terms of questions, if you have time, go through it. Jumping from Q49 to Q51 will affect your score a LOT if you are scoring in low in verbal (For Eg: Q49, V28 = 640, and Q51, V28 will be around 670-680, a +40 gap), but not if you are scoring decent in verbal (For Eg: Q49, V42 = 750, and Q51, V42 = 760, a +10 gap). So pick your choice, my judgement is that its better to have a strong quant score if your verbals are not improving, but without decent verbal, you wont be able to reach a 700+ score. Understand what score you want to have.

A few quick and dirty tips:
1. I learned from my 2nd preparation: Q51 ability shifts back to Q49, if you leave quant for around 15-20 days.
2. First few questions are important. Spend more time on them.
3. To reach Q51, you need to have a good hit percentage (in all my mocks, i made only 3-4 mistakes in mgmat, and 6-7 only once. In gmatprep, the mistakes were 1 or 2 only, and max 3)
4. Its ok to spend 3-4 minutes in 1 or 2 tough questions (as you may be making a silly mistake in them, and you can definitely cover that up with easy ones), but not ok to spend 3-4 minutes in more than 4 questions (it will overall hurt your score). try to NEVER ever go over 5-6 minutes in one question during mocks. (though its ok to spend more time when you are studying initially, as you are understanding the subject. During your study, learn where and why you took more time than necessary)
5. The subject is limited, they cannot ask anything out of context. So, there wont be anything in the exam that you cannot answer, until and unless you understood the question wrong.
6. For a month, leave calculator and excel spreadsheet calculations during your work time, and use paper and pen. It Helps! :wink:
7. Join the daily gmatclub question in your mailbox, and do them everyday. Everyday, they were generally the first questions i did.

Hope it helps, I can tell you more about the-not-so-important ones, but I dont think it will help you that much (The important ones are mentioned above). Even though gmat is a pretty standard test, the preparation is pretty individualistic. :? Keeping the important ones mentioned above in mind, try to find a personal path. (For eg: An important one for me but probably not-so-important one for you was to look out for traps in the ques, such as i generally missed "a set of 'EVEN' integers", or "'POSITIVE' x, y and z are related to each other....".)

Please let me know if you need more suggestion.

Thanks and Regards,
Abhishek

Originally posted by abikumar on 31 Jul 2013, 07:29.
Last edited by abikumar on 15 Aug 2013, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Btw, thanks for your wishes. I didnt notice that and directly jumped into answering your question. If you are scoring Q47-49, you can definitely pull it upto Q51 in a 4 month period. I'd suggest, prepare maths intensively for 1 month and reach Q50-51 while doing verbals slowly, then go for intensive verbals for 2 months while slowly doing quant, and then reconcile the two in the last month. Take mocks to judge your progress (During intensive-verbal period, you may see a decrease in quant score, but its ok as you'll study it again intensively in the last month, and it will be easier to gain speed then.)

The daily gmatclub question will not let you leave any area in Quant or Verbal during any intensive preparation. So please subscribe to it. :)

All the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.86
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Thanks a ton !! :-D

Ur suggestion will surely help me a lot. All the best with your application and rock there too (y)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Great work dude...congrats
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks man. :) all your wishes mean a lot to me.

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Dear Abi,
Congrats on your awesome score.
You mentioned that you got one GMATPrep CR question in your GMAT exam. Verbal questions(especially SC and RC) pattern/format in GMAT will be same as OG13 and GMATPrep questions? I don't mean that same questions will repeat but will the question pattern in real GMAT be same as in OG sources?
Please respond when you get a chance.

All the best
Current Student
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
Kudos abikumar! yours is truly a debrief written in the most concise and informative form ever! (The Wine Helped!) :-D
I congratulate you for your brilliant score and also for completing the journey in such a remarkable fashion! :clap:

I am going to take the GMAT in the next month. I have exactly a month from now. Your points and discussions about the Quant section are a real eye opener. I am going to refurbish my whole quant preparation from tomorrow yet again. I was of an opinion that MGMAT tests have a difficult quant and kept ignoring them. Now, it makes much sense that I need to take on them as well since they are remarkably close to the final call. :yes

I have a serious concern regarding the verbal section. After reading through a lot of posts on this forum, I have modulated my attempt methodology time and again to suit my comfort level. Indeed, the slow reading technique on RC works for me like wonders. The last RC...bite me! I am very worried with my performance on the CR section. Accuracy levels hover around 50-60%. Interests are at an all time low. (Though, first thing tomorrow morning is to quit ciggerates). CR is killing me. In my previous attempt too, I remember attempting CR in the most disgusting and disgraceful manner possible. The last mock I gave of MGMAT, I got about 16 questions wrong and out of them, 8 were CR!!! I could not believe my own nerves. :beat
I hope, I have not been too wordy. Please guide. If there is something I could do in 30 days about improvising onto my accuracy, I would put in a 100% effort on those lines.

Thanks in Advance!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Abhishek.. many congratulations for the awesome score! Seems like you worked really hard and it actually paid off :)

I have my GMAT in next 20 days. I have taken 4 mocks till now, including 2 power-prep tests (ex gmat-prep). The scores as are follows: 740, 720, 710 and 690. The last mock was a bit weird since I screwed up my quant. Got 9 questions wrong. Otherwise I have been scoring 49-50 in quant. Could you please guide me on how should I make sure that I consistently score a minimum 50 in quant?

On verbal sections, I have been getting around 8-9 questions wrong, and 4-5 out of them are all RC errors! I havent been able to improve my accuracy on RC even after practicing a lot! Any trips and tricks that would help me improve my accuracy??

Please reply whenever you have time! :)

Thanks a lot!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-27-2013
GPA: 3.04
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Learn from it, learn from your mistakes, build your stamina, rough up and tie your loose ends.
Nice to motivate myself.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
abikumar wrote:

In the mocks, a general process that i followed was to avoid the last RC passage, which gave me ample time for the other questions.

AbiKumar,

Cheers on your score and your perseverance for 3 tests.
Can you elaborate the above strategy. Did you avoid the RC last passage in GMAT too?

Best of luck for yours apps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Abhishek,

First, congratulations for an awesome score! Since you have taken both e-gmat and Knewton courses, can you please provide a comparison of the verbal sections of the two courses? Is there a reason why you chose Knewton for your final attempt ?

Which one of the two have helped you the most to improve your verbal skills especially for CR and RC sections. Also, I have read on several forums that Knewton course is not some one who is aiming for 700+ score on the gmat, is this right?

Thanks for your insights and good luck with your apps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
GMAT QUESTION TYPE

vasireddy1304 wrote:
Dear Abi,
Congrats on your awesome score.
You mentioned that you got one GMATPrep CR question in your GMAT exam. Verbal questions(especially SC and RC) pattern/format in GMAT will be same as OG13 and GMATPrep questions? I don't mean that same questions will repeat but will the question pattern in real GMAT be same as in OG sources?
Please respond when you get a chance.

All the best

Hi Vasireddy,

Sorry, i went on a trip and came back today only. Let me tell you a secret, I remember that twice i saw GMATPrep question (as in exactly the same body, EXACTLY) but with different question stem and different answer choices i.e. attacking the same question from a different perspective (1 in 2nd attempt, and 1 in 3rd: Both CR). The reason i think is that maybe GMAT too dont have a lot of different material for tough questions. If you see one, then i believe be happy as you might be doing good, if you dont, then also no worries, you may have hit a different tough or even tougher question. Verbal questions are always, and yes ALWAYS, check for the same concepts. Same holds for RC too, and hence GMATPrep is your best source for official questions. (I say GMATPrep and not OG as GMATPrep has some really tough questions, OG is really really good to learn the concepts). So, the answer in short is "YES", the question pattern is always the same. The real GMAT will never ask you something which they have not taught in OG or GMATPrep.

Hope this answers your question. Happy to answer any other doubt of yours.

Regards,
Abhishek

Originally posted by abikumar on 06 Aug 2013, 10:35.
Last edited by abikumar on 15 Aug 2013, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
CRITICAL REASONING (An interesting approach)

sayantanbera21 wrote:
Kudos abikumar! yours is truly a debrief written in the most concise and informative form ever! (The Wine Helped!) :-D
I congratulate you for your brilliant score and also for completing the journey in such a remarkable fashion! :clap:

I am going to take the GMAT in the next month. I have exactly a month from now. Your points and discussions about the Quant section are a real eye opener. I am going to refurbish my whole quant preparation from tomorrow yet again. I was of an opinion that MGMAT tests have a difficult quant and kept ignoring them. Now, it makes much sense that I need to take on them as well since they are remarkably close to the final call. :yes

I have a serious concern regarding the verbal section. After reading through a lot of posts on this forum, I have modulated my attempt methodology time and again to suit my comfort level. Indeed, the slow reading technique on RC works for me like wonders. The last RC...bite me! I am very worried with my performance on the CR section. Accuracy levels hover around 50-60%. Interests are at an all time low. (Though, first thing tomorrow morning is to quit ciggerates). CR is killing me. In my previous attempt too, I remember attempting CR in the most disgusting and disgraceful manner possible. The last mock I gave of MGMAT, I got about 16 questions wrong and out of them, 8 were CR!!! I could not believe my own nerves. :beat
I hope, I have not been too wordy. Please guide. If there is something I could do in 30 days about improvising onto my accuracy, I would put in a 100% effort on those lines.

Thanks in Advance!

Hi Sayantanbera,

Sorry, i went on a trip and came back today only. For CR questions, a lot of gmat prep courses tell you to read the question stem first and then read the body, but i found that tough for me. What i did was that i read the body first and while reading the body, i guessed what the question stem may be (such as weaken, or strengthen or assumption, etc). Honestly, i was able to guess that more than 90% of the time. This helped me to unbiasedly read the body, and understand it fully before reading the question. One trick of the trade that i used: Read the CR stem, and convert it in your own language (hindi, tamil, spanish, whatever it is). Then you'll either directly find the right answer choice (in easy CR questions) or eliminate all the incorrect answer choices (in tough CR questions). It does created wonders for me. Hope it does the same for you too. For example:

CR Stem: "Samuel is obviously a bad fisherman. During the past season, in which he and the five members of his team spent four months on a boat together off Dutch Harbor, AK, he caught fewer fish than any of his teammates."

Hindi version: "Samuel bad fisherman hai, and last season mein in 4 months usne out of 6 people, sabse kam fish collect kari"

(P.S.: I converted that into hindi, please convert it into your own language. After conversion, I can bet that you'll too guess this seems like a weaken question as it feels itchy to say someone is bad just based on one data point, or maybe some other factor/data is present that makes him a good fisherman or some new information that proves the point that the data presented above misses some key information. Also, i copied this question after doing some random google search, I'll say try this strategy on real GMAT questions, or mgmat question, or egmat or knewton. I cannot say about other prep courses, but i can vouch for maggoosh and veritas prep questions, both are good. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, even if this is a strengthen question choice, see how many data points you have pondered over by converting it in your own language even before reading the question stem, this makes you fully understand the passage. If its a strengthen question, you'll check for the exactly opposite points we discussed earlier, and if its an assumption question, then you just need to fill in the loose ends.)

Note: the name of the place may not be that important to understand the stem. But honestly, it will stick to your mind when you'll be reading the passage. So no worries, the important part is to FULLY understand what the passage is saying.

Also, note that tough CR questions are tough to answer. So even if you are incorrectly answering 8 tough CR questions (out of total 16 wrong verbal attempts in a mock), dont worry. In a couple of mocks, my incorrect CR questions were almost 40%-50% of the total 13-14 incorrect questions. Important point to note is that in GMAT, a CR answer choice will be TOTALLY wrong, and not partially wrong. GMAT does not leave any chance of errors in the wrong answer choices.

Hmmmm, it turned out to be a long post, i guess no one asked me about my CR strategy before. :) Hope this answers your question. Happy to answer any other doubt of yours. And yes, please let me know if this conversion thing works for you. I'll then be really happy as I will know i helped a fellow-friend who is in the same position as i was a few months ago.

Regards,
Abhishek

Originally posted by abikumar on 06 Aug 2013, 11:08.
Last edited by abikumar on 15 Aug 2013, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts