Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [50]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Foster (I)
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V24
GPA: 3.74
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance and strategy
Schools:Wharton, Booth, ISB, Yale, INSEAD, LBS & Anderson
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [2]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Re: GMATPrep Question Pack 1 Review [#permalink]
Kudos
Another big negative is inability to review answered questions (unless you bookmark every question).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Thanks for the review it is very helpful

Do the questions in the Default pack and Question Pack 1 overlap with the GMATPrep CAT questions?
I am asking this because i don't want to waste the CATs and mock the exam on already practiced questions.
Any reply in this regard is highly appreciated
:)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [5]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
The way you can get sequential IR/RC questions.
Attachments

Screeshot.JPG
Screeshot.JPG [ 131.6 KiB | Viewed 65810 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
FYI: Question IIR000815 (Archaeologists / Chi-Xua site) is incorrect in the software

If you choose the correct answer (B) in the "Against" column, the software will mark your answer as incorrect, yet the answer key states that B is the correct answer.

BEWARE!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Great review. Do you really think SC questions being older would be a negative?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
>>>Do any of the questions in the Question Pack overlap with the ones in GMAT PREP 1.0 or 2.0 CATs? I don't want to solve these 400 questions before taking the prep tests if that is the case.

^Does anybody know the answer to this??
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
wjf9838,

I can comment on the Quant questions. There are 4 questions in the GMATPrep Question Pack1 that are in the GMATPrep software. I wouldn't worry about this and would recommend practicing with Question Pack 1 prior to doing the GMATPrep Practice Tests, if that is how you have planned your preparation.

Overall there is an overlap of 21 questions between GMATPrep Question Pack 1 and prior editions of Official Guide to GMAT and other official GMAT sources, although most of these come from the practice questions that are in addition to the 200 questions.

Cheers,
Dabral

wjf9838 wrote:
>>>Do any of the questions in the Question Pack overlap with the ones in GMAT PREP 1.0 or 2.0 CATs? I don't want to solve these 400 questions before taking the prep tests if that is the case.

^Does anybody know the answer to this??
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32859 [0]
Given Kudos: 4452
Send PM
I purchased it right now at 3.00 AM local time :D

Hi dabral, do you suggest to do question pack before and then take the normal test ?? for istance, take a battery of SC DS and so on and in the end take the exam simulated ??

Indeed i think is good to have and cheap.

Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [12]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
carcass,

i would recommend you to use these for timed practice to warm up for the official gmatprep practice exams. in the quantitative section, there are 230 questions, i would select 38 questions and do them in 76 min. You can do 6 such sets, which totals to 228 questions. Select 19 questions from problem solving and 19 from data sufficiency, and do them all timed. Do the same for the verbal as well, but mix them all up, meaning select all three categories of the verbal questions.

granted you won't get a score, but the purpose here is to add the pressure and stress of the timed gmat exam. this is an important element of the exam that one needs to get used to. afterwards, review the questions that you missed. this in my opinion is one good way to use the practice questions in gmatprep question pack 1.

cheers,
dabral
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1329 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Is there a limit on the number of questions that can be bookmarked? since it doesn't store the previous errors this would be the best way to maintain an error log within the software.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4053 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
udvranto wrote:
GMAC released a new preparation software GMATPrep 2.0 in April 2012. Around the same time they released the question pack 1, which includes 200 quant, 180 verbal and 24 integrated reasoning questions. The pack provides a set of very good official questions and I highly recommend everyone to practice these questions.

Pros

1. Official questions
2. Almost all of the questions are new and were never released before
3. Computer based practice
4. Includes explanations similar to OG for all questions
5. Statistics available to track your progress

Cons

1. The default question pack can not be deselected or deactivated. You will need to go through it once before you start working on the QPack 1

2. The Reading Comprehension questions in GMAT Prep 2 practice module are not grouped with a given passage. If you select 5 questions to practice, you may end up working on 5 different passages. This is not helpful at all!

The problem could be solved by providing a separate slider to select the number of passages to practice with. In this way all the questions for a given passage will be grouped together, just like the exam.

I haven't tried the integrated reasoning, but I think similar grouping mechanism should apply to IR too!

3. Relatively more quant questions are available in the QPack 1 than the verbal questions. If you take a typical exam as a reference, there are 5.4 times the number of questions available in a typical GMAT exam (200 vs 37). On the other hand, the verbal questions are 4.4 times a typical exam (180 vs 41). If you consider the extraneous questions bundled with the passages, the difference will be even higher.

4. Although it was claimed to contain new and unseen questions, it does contain few questions that were released before or were available online.

5. The progress statistics is limited to last 6 sessions. Any practice before that will not be shown in the progress tracker.

Question Type Analysis

Since the RC questions are not grouped with the passage I was having difficulty doing them. I stopped after trying few of them. So no analysis is available on RC yet.

I will take the exam before June. So I did not do the IR questions as well. If someone can provide the analysis, I will be happy to include them.

(This section will be updated)

Image PS

Image DS

Image SC

Image CR

Observations
1. SC questions are very old and not so difficult.

I assumed that the question ID reflects the creation time of the question. I found that the SC questions in QPack1 range from 1000 to 3000, whereas the default set contains questions in the 7000 range.

See the note below for an explanation how this inference was drawn.

2. Although difficulty did not vary much for CR, the quality of the questions are very good.

3. Few PS questions are as difficult as the OG 13 questions.

4. DS questions are of similar difficulty as in the the OG 13.

List of Questions

I prepared a list of questions from the question pack 1. I tried to add a title whenever possible. It will help you track questions and/or correction any mistake I made in categorizing the questions.

I may have made some mistakes identifying the SC questions. Feel free to correct me in a comment or post a corrected version of the XLS.

(Attachement: Questions XLS . Will be attached later)

Inference on the Question Order and Difficulty

Each question in the QPack 1 and the default set (the 90 questions that are available in GMATPrep for free) has an unique 5 digit question number. For example, a SC question ID would look like VSC01783.

The ID VSC01783 says, the question is from
1) Verbal pool - V
2) Sentence Correction sub pool - SC
3) ID number - 01783

Similarly, examples of PS, DS, and CR are QPS05678, QDS04789, and VCR03498, respectively.

Grouped questions have a little different format. A group of reading comprehension questions is numbered from VRC00198-01 to VRC00198-05, in which the -XX part indicates question number related to the passage 00198.

Integrated reasoning questions may come in group as well as in standalone flavors. An Integrated reasoning questions ID starts with an IIR tag.

Interestingly, the IIR IDs are between two to three digits, for example IIR00034, IIR00125, etc. From this fact, I assumed that the question ID reflects the sequence in which it was created. For example, I assumed that question VSC01783 is older that question VSC0345.

As I said before, the SC questions in QPack1 range from 1000 to 3000, whereas the default set contains SC questions in the 7000 range. If my assumption is correct, it can be inferred that the SC questions in QPack 1 are older than the default set. On the other hand, the quant questions appear to be newer.

All the question numbers used in the section are randomly created by me.

I also assumed that the 5-digit ID number has one more part in it. I think the first three digits indicate an exam code and the last two digits represent the question number within the exam. For example, VSC01783 means Verbal - Sentence Correction - Exam Code 017 - Question 83 and VRC00198-01 means Verbal - Reading Comprehension - Exam Code 001 - Passage 98 - Question 01. However, this assumption is not needed for the inference above.

FAQ

1. Should I buy it?
Despite the problems I mentioned, the questions are very good and come with official explanations. Since practicing the official materials is the best way to practice, in my opinion, the pack is worth buying.

2. Where and how to purchase it?
To purchase you will need to go to mba.com and purchase it like any other online product. At the end of your purchase you will be given the download option and a code. See the image below.

Attachment:
download.jpg

After you double click the .qsp file it opens in GMATPrep. You need to click activate and enter the code that you received after the purchase.

Attachment:
activate2.jpg

3. Can I use the question pack 1 in multiple computers?
According to a response by GMAC, yes, you can use the question pack in up to three computers.

However, you won’t be able to synchronize your responses. I requested the GMAC to release an online version to resolve the problem.

4. Why are the RC questions not grouped?
I sent an email about it. The representative replied saying that they are looking into the issue.

5. How do I know which questions were available in the default set and skip those during practice?
I will post an XLS file containg the question ids and which set they belong to. You may use it to determine the group.

The questions are presented sequentially as well. So you can just skip first 15 question in each set to avoid working on the default questions.

GMATPrep Tour

Here is how the installed content page looks after the Q Pack 1 installation.

Attachment:
installed-content.jpg

Note that it is possible to "turn off" or deactivate the Q Pack 1. But it is not possible to turn off the default questions.

Here is a screen shot of the more option page.

Attachment:
available_quesions.jpg

I thought I will be able to select question pack here. But unfortunately that's not possible. So you are pretty much stuck with the default set. There is no way to get rid of it.

The statistics is provided as a percent of questions answered correctly.

Attachment:
summary1.jpg

(This post is an enhanced version of the log I posted earlier.)

udvranto-This is just awesome analysis man..!outstanding....!

Kudos for your effort :)

BTW,have we come up with any comparison yet in the forum ?May be from MGMAT or Magoosh or any of our legendary members ?

Originally posted by bagdbmba on 31 Jan 2013, 09:02.
Last edited by bagdbmba on 31 Jan 2013, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4053 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Hi Dabral/GMAT QUANTUM,

First let me thank you for your great analysis on the Quant section of the GMAT Prep Qs Pack 1... :)

Do you have any idea that whether there are any overlaps in the Verbal section with OG questions ?

Appreciate your reply.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.61
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM

[b]4. Why are the RC questions not grouped?

I sent an email about it. The representative replied saying that they are looking into the issue.
[/b]

Hi BB, Is this issue resolved?
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Are these questions available outside?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6040 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
How many RC passages are there in Question pack 1 are there any repeats?
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
I am sure of the fact that those are all new questions and no repeat.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6040 [1]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Kudos
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
I am sure of the fact that those are all new questions and no repeat.

There were 4 repeats in the quant section from GMATPREP software if you read the earlier posts....
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3