Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 878 [15]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [2]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 878 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Send PM
Re: The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed” [#permalink]
TirthankarP wrote:

But D says that breakup from a non-spousal partner is temporary. Its true because that person enters into another relationship very soon.
Whats wrong in my thinking ? :roll:

hi tirth ,

i dint get how you came to your point.

let say if break up is temporary means that break up will not last for longer time...so result will be that the duo will patch up soon.
but in argument it is said that these people get engaged with other people and no patch up scenario is there.

hope you got my point.

regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 878 [0]
Send PM
blueseas wrote:
TirthankarP wrote:

But D says that breakup from a non-spousal partner is temporary. Its true because that person enters into another relationship very soon.
Whats wrong in my thinking ? :roll:

hi tirth ,

i dint get how you came to your point.

let say if break up is temporary means that break up will not last for longer time...so result will be that the duo will patch up soon.
but in argument it is said that these people get engaged with other people and no patch up scenario is there.

hope you got my point.

regards

By "break-up is temporary" I thought that the person didn't stay alone for a longer time because he entered into a new relationship soon.
By your explanation, it means the person didn't do a patch up with the same non-spousal partner.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Send PM
TirthankarP wrote:

By "break-up is temporary" I thought that the person didn't stay alone for a longer time because he entered into a new relationship soon.
By your explanation, it means the person didn't do a patch up with the same non-spousal partner.

actually i may not be 100 percent correct...as i am not a native speaker.

but as i have googled
break up means : the termination or disintegration of a relationship (between persons or nations).

so IMO that break up doesnt means staying alone .

regards.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: SCM, Strategy, General Management
Schools:Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
 Q48  V26
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail
Send PM
blueseas wrote:
TirthankarP wrote:

actually i may not be 100 percent correct...as i am not a native speaker.

but as i have googled
break up means : the termination or disintegration of a relationship (between persons or nations).

so IMO that break up doesnt means staying alone .

regards.

I have also chose D. Because , i think break up means the period after one terminates a relationship
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All,

'break up' is the act of separation. I.e. you would say I 'broke up with my girlfriend last Tuesday'

- That said it does not make D correct.

A is the correct inference. The passage says that break ups cause massive emotional pains, but still people go for future relationships.

Those 2 things alone do not make sense.

The statement in A, helps clear up the confusion, so is correct.

James
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed” couples is just as great as the emotional impact of divorce on married couples; in both situations, the loss of a trusted companion deals an emotional blow of great magnitude. Yet statistics show that a person who has separated from his or her partner in even a long-term non-marital relationship is very likely to enter into another such relationship.

The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed” couples is same as the emotional impact of divorce on married couples

But, statistics show that a person who has separated from his or her partner in even a long-term non-marital relationship is very likely to enter into another such relationship than married couples. It is not the same for both.

Hence,the above argument - the emotional impact does not decide solely what the relationships will be-

A) People do not base decisions about relationships solely on the threat of their negative emotional impact.
Correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
TirthankarP wrote:
The emotional impact of separation on unmarried “committed” couples is just as great as the emotional impact of divorce on married couples; in both situations, the loss of a trusted companion deals an emotional blow of great magnitude. Yet statistics show that a person who has separated from his or her partner in even a long-term non-marital relationship is very likely to enter into another such relationship.

Which one of the following statements represents the most logical inference that can be drawn from the statements above?

A) People do not base decisions about relationships solely on the threat of their negative emotional impact.
B) People are not likely to enter into serious relationships if they have failed at them in the past.
C) People are more affected by a divorce from a spouse than they are by the loss of a friend.
D) People often expect that a breakup from a non-spousal partner will merely be temporary.
E) People treat their romantic involvements and their friendships quite differently.

Hi

I do not see what is wrong with option "C".

I know the passage says the emotional blow is same in both the cases, but the premise mentioned in the passage "statistics show that a person who has separated from his or her partner in even a long-term non-marital relationship is very likely to enter into another such relationship" clearly indicates that although blow is same, people who are divorced from spouse are more affected than people who loose a long-term non-marital partner.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts