Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink]
Just thought I would revive this thread. With Rd 2 being over in many cases hopefully lots of other people have been accepted and are now looking forward to prepping for school instead of the GMAT and applications. Some great reading lists in this thread.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Sustainability, Operations
WE:Editorial and Writing (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Case In Point (Cosentino) anyone?

I am starting this fall and looking at consulting as a career path. Does this book provide a good overview of the process and an introduction to case interviews? Or is it something that would be a better tool once I am in classes?

(I didn't see it mentioned previously in the thread; forgive me if I missed it)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Kudos
Gorgasali wrote:
Case In Point (Cosentino) anyone?

I am starting this fall and looking at consulting as a career path. Does this book provide a good overview of the process and an introduction to case interviews? Or is it something that would be a better tool once I am in classes?

(I didn't see it mentioned previously in the thread; forgive me if I missed it)

I think Case in Point is actually a great summer read prior to beginning of classes for a couple of reasons. First is the busy workload you're going to get from school will sort of prevent you from reading Case in Point. Second is simply getting all the company briefings, career services, your town, evening receptions, and everything outside of classroom situated will take a long time. Third, you can probably read that book a couple of times - once during summer and one more as you finish getting acclimated. Obviously, this is my opinion - some folks may think it's a waste of time to do it this way, but I found it to be useful (I'm no longer going into consulting, but as I went through the process I found it helpful)

As for the book, it's a great introduction to consulting and the interview process. It presents itself, I think, 12 readily available frameworks (albeit very very generic) and is a great starting point for those who are interested in this field. I'd say this is definitely a must read for those who haven't been through the consulting industry or interview. And no, I don't believe the content of the book will really help you in your classes. The book is truly geared just for those who are prepping for consulting interviews. Lastly, I really don't think the book itself will get you into a consulting firm, but it's the tens of practice cases you'll do that'll help you prep. Treat the book as things you learn in the classroom; treat case practices as real stuff. So the trick is turning theorems into practicums!
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
I just finished reading Poor Economics by Banerjee and Duflo. It was voted the "Business Book of The Year" by the Financial Times and Goldman Sachs in 2012. It's a very informative and easy read. I highly recommend it!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Found it extremely useful. Thank you all
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
The Elusive Quest for Growth is one I would couple with A White Man's Burden, both written by Easterly, and are both interesting reads.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Just released: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FR79A6Q.

Career Forward: Do You Need An MBA To Succeed?

From the description:

Do you need a Master of Business Administration to succeed?

Career Forward helps you answer this question and more...

...including:
    Will it help you advance in business?
    Will it help you make more money?
    Is it worth the cost? If so, which program is right for you?

Don't make this life changing decision in isolation.

You have plenty of choices when it comes to getting an MBA. Career Forward will take you through each option in simple, organized, easy-to-read steps, giving you recommendations tailored to your needs.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
Send PM
Solid post. I would recommend starting out with a book or online course for speed-reading, as you're going to have a hell of a hard time doing all of this reading AND the pre-reading your chosen MBA program gives you (1200 pages, in the case of INSEAD) without proper skills. But I'm biased. I teach a course on the subject.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink]
Hey everyone, I wanted to introduce you to a new book of mine called The MBA Survival Guide, that I think is a great read prior to or during your MBA. I cover topics around admissions strategies, student life, academics, recruiting, etc. Full disclosure that I am the author and am obviously trying to market my book to you, but having gone through the MBA process myself and consulted with a lot of friends and former classmates, I think it is a very worthwhile and entertaining read. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about my background or the book, please check it out! It can be found on Amazon at the below link or by searching the title or author name.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LNE6TKC
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: IIMB (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
For guys looking to get into consulting, after Case in Point, another very good book is Victor Cheng's Case Interview secrets.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Any recommendations/suggestions specific to Operations and/or Healthcare?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I read the Portable MBA by Ken Eades. Was a lot longer than I expected and quite detailed. A couple of my class mates read MBA Prep, how to get ahead of the program which is shorter and designed to give an overview of the basics.
I would also try to brush up on any weaknesses you have - accounting, finance, statistics etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.22
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Here is another one maybe for those who go into the entertainment or marketing industries but really, a good business read.
Controversy Creates Cash by Eric Bischoff
https://www.amazon.com/Eric-Bischoff-Con ... eates+cash
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Expert Reply
Great post and thread, a helpful list of interesting books.

My addition to the lists would be:

1) Fooled by Randomness and Anti-fragile by Naseem Taleb
Both are funny, engaging, and make you more critical of the "experts" and conventional wisdom we are presented with. It also pokes fun at experts, including academics, MBA's, and economists. Great complement to MBA readings and corporate world experiences.

2) Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
Enlightens on our thought processes, biases, and defaults embedded in our systems. Great read to help us think about how people and businesses really make decisions

3) Bad Samaritans: The Myth of Free Trade and The Secret History of Capitalism by Ha-Joon Chang
Argues (with interesting case studies/historical events) how the usual economic recommendations of capitalism and economic theory do not always work.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
My classmate from Darden wrote a book for this purpose, it contains all the key information you need to know before you start your mba: accounting, finance, stats etc.
You can find it on Amazon, its called MBA Prep
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.09
Send PM
VeritasPrepEdison wrote:

Both are funny, engaging, and make you more critical of the "experts" and conventional wisdom we are presented with. It also pokes fun at experts, including academics, MBA's, and economists. Great complement to MBA readings and corporate world experiences.

Enlightens on our thought processes, biases, and defaults embedded in our systems. Great read to help us think about how people and businesses really make decisions

3) Bad Samaritans: The Myth of Free Trade and The Secret History of Capitalism by Ha-Joon Chang
Argues (with interesting case studies/historical events) how the usual economic recommendations of capitalism and economic theory do not always work.

Many people is recommending Ha-Joon Chang's "Bad Samaritans, any thoughts on "Introduction Economics: A User's Guide"?
Is it a good book to get to know basic Economics, or is there other introductory book that you would recommend?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
iVoRy wrote:
VeritasPrepEdison wrote:

Many people is recommending Ha-Joon Chang's "Bad Samaritans, any thoughts on "Introduction Economics: A User's Guide"?
Is it a good book to get to know basic Economics, or is there other introductory book that you would recommend?

These are the two books that I heard are best if you want to start learning economics:

1. The Cartoon Introduction to Economics: Volume One: Microeconomics
2. The Cartoon Introduction to Economics: Volume Two: Macroeconomics
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9