Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [16]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: 5 things about the new GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 [#permalink]
Does this explain the answers to the questions you get wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
also "As mentioned before, I got 10 point more than my official GMAT score. I attribute those points to slipping the AWA and IR sections and being able to take the test on my couch :) However it is interesting to note that I got a Q50 with making 3 mistakes on Quant (7th, 13th and 31st). Normally that would probably give me a Q51. Quant is becoming way too demanding it seems! The percentiles are also upgraded according to latest GMAT standards. Q50 now only manages to fetch me a 90 %ile instead of the usual 92! That's slightly disappointing to see :/"

this is ridiculous!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Sounds good.
I have 9 days till my next GMAT.
I will purchase the pack and do each test twice.

Are you sure you saw 300 news questions?
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
roygush wrote:
Sounds good.

Nope! That's a reasonable assumption followed by the free GMAT Prep CATs!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
roygush wrote:
Sounds good.

Nope! That's a reasonable assumption followed by the free GMAT Prep CATs!

Got it. I hope I won't see familiar questions after I re-take them.
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
souvik101990,

I took the CAT from EXAM Pack 1 last night, but after reopening the GMATPrep software I dont see my results. The ExamPack1 shows both Exam 3 and Exam4 as new. Did you experience the same?

-C23678

souvik101990 wrote:

5 things about the new GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1

As we recently found out, mba,com recently launched Exam Pack 1 as a part of their GMAT Study materials. The mba.com store boasts two new products worth checking out.

I bought the pack and took one exam and happened to score 750. (Q50 V43). Point to note that I scored 740 (Q49 V41) on the real GMAT 5+ months back and have not studied anything GMAT related after that, so the scoring seems to be unbelievably accurate. I was more relaxed at home and I skipped IR which probably attributed to the slight jump. Lets jump in to the five things that I found out about the new Exam Pack 1

You get what you pay for.

With a $40 price tag for two tests, you are not making an amazing deal here! You get 6 MGMAT CATs for $10 (MGMAT CATs are available with the purchase of any kindle or iOS version of their books) and those are pretty good ones. However point to note here is that the tests are official and contain retired real GMAT questions. The tests will be one of the only few sources out there to get official questions (OG, OG supplements, GMAT Prep CATs, GMAT Prep Question Pack 1 being the other ones). I absolutely recommend ONLY official questions for verbal and while the tests comes for a price, I would buy them if I were taking the exam!

The algorithm is just as great as GMAT Prep

As mentioned before, I got 10 point more than my official GMAT score. I attribute those points to slipping the AWA and IR sections and being able to take the test on my couch :) However it is interesting to note that I got a Q50 with making 3 mistakes on Quant (7th, 13th and 31st). Normally that would probably give me a Q51. Quant is becoming way too demanding it seems! The percentiles are also upgraded according to latest GMAT standards. Q50 now only manages to fetch me a 90 %ile instead of the usual 92! That's slightly disappointing to see :/

The Questions are awesome!

Being an oldie on the forum and having squeezed out all the juice of GMAT Prep (results are in the SC, CR and RC official question banks in my sig!), I normally figure out if I stumble upon an official question that has been featured in OG/GMAT Prep or Q Pack 1. However none of the Quant Questions that I faced in the exam were seen before. That is great because the two tests definitely add a substantial number of brand new official questions. However I saw a couple of SC questions which seemed familiar. After a little research I stumbled upon this one. This was the 12th question in my CAT today

One of the repeats that I saw

Now this was really disappointing. While the RCs seemed really fresh, having a couple SC repeats made me feel like that GMAC should probably have added only new questions when they are charging $40 for two tests. That cannot be helped I guess.

The IR section is fairly representative

I am almost convinced that IR in GMAT Prep CATs are much harder than those that appear on the real test. (Note that OG IR is much easier). My IR experience on test day was much smoother than any other. (GMAT Prep CATs and MGMAT CATs made me IR -phobic). However IR in Exam Pack 1 did not seem to be that intimidating. I did not attempt the questions diligently, but I did browse through most of them. I had only 1 MSR and 5 two part questions (surprising?).

The tests have a lot of juice (assumption)

The Exam Pack 1 comes with the same warning GMAT Prep CATs do.
*Note: Users taking each of the two Exam Pack tests more than once may see the same questions repeated.

This makes me assume that the question pool for GMAT Prep and Exam Pack 1 are similar in terms of number of questions. That is definitely something to cheer about. I squeezed in about 300 questions from the last 2 GMAT Preps. Thats a LOT of official questions. You definitely can't go wrong with them!

Final Thoughts!

Official Questions are always a worthy investment. I even recommend the GMAT Focus (ridiculously high priced). Official questions graded with the official algorithm always calms you down or tells you there is a bumpy road ahead. Whatever the information about your preparation the test provides, you know that its the most reliable. I am fairly satisfied with the product and would recommend all GMAT aspirants to buy one.

If you have taken any CAT out of the Exam Pack 1, let me know!
And, all the best for the preparation for GMAT!
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
c23678 wrote:
souvik101990,

I took the CAT from EXAM Pack 1 last night, but after reopening the GMATPrep software I dont see my results. The ExamPack1 shows both Exam 3 and Exam4 as new. Did you experience the same?

Ugh, Sorry! Seems to work fine for me!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
c23678 wrote:
souvik101990,

Happened to me as well.
Plus had a lot of repetitions in exam 4 after i did exam 3.
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
roygush wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
c23678 wrote:
souvik101990,

Happened to me as well.
Plus had a lot of repetitions in exam 4 after i did exam 3.

WOW, that's NOT good news.
I thought they should have 2 tests such that they contain mutually exclusive questions :-(
Boo!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.46
Send PM
Souvik101990

About your disappointment about the Quant score. I myself also suffered a similar situation. In test 2, I got one wrong (question 7) and I got Q51. But in test 4, I also got one wrong (question 24) and I got Q50. Is the question 24 more valuable than the question 7? I think not. Really cannot understand what happen to my score.
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
envoy2210 wrote:
Souvik101990

About your disappointment about the Quant score. I myself also suffered a similar situation. In test 2, I got one wrong (question 7) and I got Q51. But in test 4, I also got one wrong (question 24) and I got Q50. Is the question 24 more valuable than the question 7? I think not. Really cannot understand what happen to my score.

Did you happen to take the GMAT? Quant update?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

5 things about the new GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1

As we recently found out, mba,com recently launched Exam Pack 1 as a part of their GMAT Study materials. The mba.com store boasts two new products worth checking out.

I bought the pack and took one exam and happened to score 750. (Q50 V43). Point to note that I scored 740 (Q49 V41) on the real GMAT 5+ months back and have not studied anything GMAT related after that, so the scoring seems to be unbelievably accurate. I was more relaxed at home and I skipped IR which probably attributed to the slight jump. Lets jump in to the five things that I found out about the new Exam Pack 1

You get what you pay for.

With a $40 price tag for two tests, you are not making an amazing deal here! You get 6 MGMAT CATs for $10 (MGMAT CATs are available with the purchase of any kindle or iOS version of their books) and those are pretty good ones. However point to note here is that the tests are official and contain retired real GMAT questions. The tests will be one of the only few sources out there to get official questions (OG, OG supplements, GMAT Prep CATs, GMAT Prep Question Pack 1 being the other ones). I absolutely recommend ONLY official questions for verbal and while the tests comes for a price, I would buy them if I were taking the exam!

The algorithm is just as great as GMAT Prep

As mentioned before, I got 10 point more than my official GMAT score. I attribute those points to slipping the AWA and IR sections and being able to take the test on my couch :) However it is interesting to note that I got a Q50 with making 3 mistakes on Quant (7th, 13th and 31st). Normally that would probably give me a Q51. Quant is becoming way too demanding it seems! The percentiles are also upgraded according to latest GMAT standards. Q50 now only manages to fetch me a 90 %ile instead of the usual 92! That's slightly disappointing to see :/

The Questions are awesome!

Being an oldie on the forum and having squeezed out all the juice of GMAT Prep (results are in the SC, CR and RC official question banks in my sig!), I normally figure out if I stumble upon an official question that has been featured in OG/GMAT Prep or Q Pack 1. However none of the Quant Questions that I faced in the exam were seen before. That is great because the two tests definitely add a substantial number of brand new official questions. However I saw a couple of SC questions which seemed familiar. After a little research I stumbled upon this one. This was the 12th question in my CAT today

One of the repeats that I saw

Now this was really disappointing. While the RCs seemed really fresh, having a couple SC repeats made me feel like that GMAC should probably have added only new questions when they are charging $40 for two tests. That cannot be helped I guess.

The IR section is fairly representative

I am almost convinced that IR in GMAT Prep CATs are much harder than those that appear on the real test. (Note that OG IR is much easier). My IR experience on test day was much smoother than any other. (GMAT Prep CATs and MGMAT CATs made me IR -phobic). However IR in Exam Pack 1 did not seem to be that intimidating. I did not attempt the questions diligently, but I did browse through most of them. I had only 1 MSR and 5 two part questions (surprising?).

The tests have a lot of juice (assumption)

The Exam Pack 1 comes with the same warning GMAT Prep CATs do.
*Note: Users taking each of the two Exam Pack tests more than once may see the same questions repeated.

This makes me assume that the question pool for GMAT Prep and Exam Pack 1 are similar in terms of number of questions. That is definitely something to cheer about. I squeezed in about 300 questions from the last 2 GMAT Preps. Thats a LOT of official questions. You definitely can't go wrong with them!

Final Thoughts!

Official Questions are always a worthy investment. I even recommend the GMAT Focus (ridiculously high priced). Official questions graded with the official algorithm always calms you down or tells you there is a bumpy road ahead. Whatever the information about your preparation the test provides, you know that its the most reliable. I am fairly satisfied with the product and would recommend all GMAT aspirants to buy one.

If you have taken any CAT out of the Exam Pack 1, let me know!
And, all the best for the preparation for GMAT!

Hi ,
I have taken the cat gmat prep test 3 and 4 , I scored a 680 (Q47/V35) and 690 (Q48/V36) respectively(1st attempt). I think questions were fairly simple . I also took Edvento GMAT and my scores were not so great in that (620 - Q-45 V-30). I have gmat on 28th of this month, i.e. day after tomorrow. I will update my score in the real gmat. However , can I hope to repeat my score that I got in the gmat prep , in the real gmat?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
scoring algorithm in exam pack 2nd exam looked bit different to me as well. I score 740 in exam pack1 (50,40) with 9 incorrect and each section, but I scored only 700 in 2nd exam (48,38) with 9 incorrect in QA and only 8 incorrect in verbal.

To my surprise, my RC scaled score was only 35 with only 2 incorrect out of 13. That's bit rude of Exam Pack I guess.

I know we should not judge the score by number of incorrect questions but still it seems that algorithm is bit different from free gmat prep exam, in which I scored 760 and 740 respectively with almost same number of incorrect questions, especially for exam pack 2nd test.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
It's not the algorithm that is different between the two tests. The algorithm is always the same. It's the question database that differs. I have the impression that one of the newer tests contains a database without many very difficult questions. If that's the case, then wrong answers on that test will be more consequential than on a test where you see lots of very hard questions - a wrong answer on an easy question hurts you more than a wrong answer on a hard one.

So I think that's the most likely explanation of the difference between your two scores; the questions you answered incorrectly on your second test were easier questions than those you answered incorrectly on your first test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Hi Ian,

Is it advisable to retake the GMAT Exam pack tests multiple times.

I have seen threads that talk about repeating the free GMAT PREP CATS multiple time and seeing only a few repeated questions each time.
But could not find any thread talking about the GMAT PREP EXAM PACK Tests.

My questions are as below:

a) Is it advisable to repeat the GMAT prep Exam pack tests multiple times?

b) I actually screwed up my first GMAT prep EXam pack Test 1 out of anxiety and tremendous pressure to prove myself on this CAT as I was banking on it too much to predict my score more or less on the actual test. This lead to a lot of pressure on the day i was taking this CAT and felt nervous and miserably flunked the test. I scored only a 610 on that test and i am pretty much confident that my ability to score is much more than what I had scored in this test. So, if given a chance, I would like to repeat the test once again before attempting the GMAT PREP Exam Pack test 2. Is it advisable?

How many repeat questions will we be seeing on repeating these tests?

Vijay

IanStewart wrote:
It's not the algorithm that is different between the two tests. The algorithm is always the same. It's the question database that differs. I have the impression that one of the newer tests contains a database without many very difficult questions. If that's the case, then wrong answers on that test will be more consequential than on a test where you see lots of very hard questions - a wrong answer on an easy question hurts you more than a wrong answer on a hard one.

So I think that's the most likely explanation of the difference between your two scores; the questions you answered incorrectly on your second test were easier questions than those you answered incorrectly on your first test.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 762 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
I am a bit surprised with EP 1 too!
This morning I got a Q50 with ONLY 1 incorrect problem. Don't know what actually happen with algorithm.
However, to be honest, I think the quant section this morning is much easier than usual, and, perhaps, that is the reason why Q50.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 556 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 450 Q27 V21
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Kudos
I have about two weeks before I take the real exam. Now I would like to buy the exam pack. Should I buy the exam pack I or II?
is there any difference?
Which one would you suggest? Please help! :help2
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2