Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [27]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1629 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Re: Temperatures in the Pacific Northwest have risen steadily since 1981, [#permalink]
Kudos
I'm curious as to how so many people chose "D" as the right answer. There's no indication in the question that the water/precipitation levels for Canada have fluctuated "no more than" 3 points in the last decade. For all we know, a study in 1992 could merely be talking about the moisture fluctuations for solely that year. Aren't we all making a HUGE assumption here?

If you were making that assumption, then choice B could be correct as well, aside from the fact that you're comparing two completely unrelated numbers. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Temperatures in the Pacific Northwest have risen steadily since 1981, [#permalink]
Kudos
BicepBrachii wrote:
I'm curious as to how so many people chose "D" as the right answer. There's no indication in the question that the water/precipitation levels for Canada have fluctuated "no more than" 3 points in the last decade. For all we know, a study in 1992 could merely be talking about the moisture fluctuations for solely that year. Aren't we all making a HUGE assumption here?

If you were making that assumption, then choice B could be correct as well, aside from the fact that you're comparing two completely unrelated numbers. Can anyone shed any light on this?

"research from a 1992 study measures the relational swing in moisture levels at no more than three points"...this is the last line of the passage. It is said in the passage that A stable level is in the range of 2 to 4 units(note the units).Hence,nothing is assumed and D is the correct choice.
hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Kudos
manojsundar1 wrote:
BicepBrachii wrote:

"research from a 1992 study measures the relational swing in moisture levels at no more than three points"...this is the last line of the passage. It is said in the passage that A stable level is in the range of 2 to 4 units(note the units).Hence,nothing is assumed and D is the correct choice.
hope this helps

Did you even read my response? My point of contention is that you are assuming that "a research study from 1992" is speaking for the last decade. How can you make that assumption without the passage saying so?

Please don't offer a response if you're not going to contribute anything new; what you have said is simply a rehash of what was said above.

I am not saying that there is a better answer than D among the other answers, but I am making the claim that choice D is a horribly written "right" choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Praetorian wrote:
Temperatures in the Pacific Northwest have risen steadily since 1981, averaging 2.07 degrees Fahrenheit warmer north of the 46th parallel than in the previous decade. Precipitation and water-table levels, which have historically maintained a measurable relationship to each other (within a scaled range of two to four points), have varied drastically from 1987 to 1991, sometimes deviating as much as six points in fewer than eight months. Reports from Canada indicate a similar median temperature increase, estimated at 2.02 degrees Fahrenheit; research from a 1992 study measures the relational swing in moisture levels at no more than three points.

Of the following, which conclusion is best supported by the evidence above?

The higher the temperature of a given area, the more likely it is that the water levels will vary.

The variation in temperature in the last decade has been less than the fluctuation of moisture.

When temperatures rise north of the 46th parallel, natural water exchange between land and atmosphere must change in the same proportion.

Within the last ten years, water table and precipitation levels have varied more in the Pacific Northwest than they have in Canada.

Canada will have more stability in weather than will the area of the United States above the 46th parallel.

please explain your choice

How would someone know "Precipitation and water-table" is same as "moisture levels", unless he is a SME?

Any thought/idea on how to identify & tackle such technicalities in case we encounter such cases in real GMAT?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
badboson wrote:
Praetorian wrote:
Temperatures in the Pacific Northwest have risen steadily since 1981, averaging 2.07 degrees Fahrenheit warmer north of the 46th parallel than in the previous decade. Precipitation and water-table levels, which have historically maintained a measurable relationship to each other (within a scaled range of two to four points), have varied drastically from 1987 to 1991, sometimes deviating as much as six points in fewer than eight months. Reports from Canada indicate a similar median temperature increase, estimated at 2.02 degrees Fahrenheit; research from a 1992 study measures the relational swing in moisture levels at no more than three points.

The higher the temperature of a given area, the more likely it is that the water levels will vary.

The variation in temperature in the last decade has been less than the fluctuation of moisture.

When temperatures rise north of the 46th parallel, natural water exchange between land and atmosphere must change in the same proportion.

Within the last ten years, water table and precipitation levels have varied more in the Pacific Northwest than they have in Canada.

Canada will have more stability in weather than will the area of the United States above the 46th parallel.

How would someone know "Precipitation and water-table" is same as "moisture levels", unless he is a SME?

Any thought/idea on how to identify & tackle such technicalities in case we encounter such cases in real GMAT?

In real GMAT, one is not expected to use any outside knowledge in order to arrive at the correct answer. Rather, using outside knowledge may sometimes lead to a wrong answer. The subject question appears to be a bit too demanding on this aspect.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Praetorian wrote:

This was a hard one for me Initially i was not able to make any inference so took a long time to answer this one .
We can see that the average rise of the temperature of the two places in argument north of pacific had 2.07 degrees Fahrenheit whereas Canada had 2.02 degrees Fahrenheit so only option D can be concluded.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Given Kudos: 247
GMAT 1: 560 Q39 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
chesstitans wrote:
What is the source of this question? Thank you.

stuck with A and D.
D is much better than A b/c there is not enough information to conclude the correlation between temperature and moisture.

The source is: Princeton Review!

Hope it helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts