Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [2]
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Send PM
Re: Rate my analysis of argument essay [#permalink]
Kudos
Do not set a time limit and use a dictionary and/or internet. See if you can write a better essay under such conditions.
Every time you are in doubt, google for the appropriate rules of grammar (or use a book). You can use www.vocabulary.com for learning new words.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Kudos
My Answer:

The argument claims that the best way to increase the readership of the newspaper-The Mecury- is by reducing its price to below that of The Bugle. The increased readership of The Mercury will then bring in more business through advertisements. Stated in this way the argument fails to mention several key factors on the basis of which it could have been evaluated. The conclusion of the argument relies on certain assumptions for which there’s no clear evidence.

First, the author readily assumes that the decline in readership of The mercury has been caused due to another newspaper- The Bugle. This assumption is clearly flawed since it ignores several other factors such as low paper quality, inexperienced editors with poor writing skills, biased reporting of news etc. The argument would have been much more clear if it had explicitly stated that the sole reason was a single competitor- The Bugle.

Second, in making a further direct comparison with The Bugle, the author states that the price of The Mercury should be reduced below to that of The Bugle. This is again a very weak argument as the author fails to provide any financial analysis. Perhaps, the publication cost per copy of The mercury is several time the publication cost of The Bugle. Then a price comparison with The Bugle is futile, since this comparison could even incur heavy loss to the Mercury.

Third, the author fails to consider the priority of the readers. Is cost of the newspaper the only deciding factor for readers ? Money may or may not be the sole deciding factor. For instance, the readers might be more interested to read political news, which has been never reported by The Mercury but has been extensively covered by The Bugle. If the author had provided some information regarding the tastes and preferences of the readers then the argument would have been a lot more convincing.

Finally, the author claims that a rise in the readership will bring more business opportunities through advertisements. This is again an unsubstantiated claim. The claim is based on the assumption that for sponsors, number of readers matters the most. Undoubtedly this is an unsubstantiated claim. For instance, there can be several other factors that sponsors take into account such as cost of advertising, demography of readers etc.

In conclusion the argument is flawed for the above mentioned reasons. Without convincing answers to the above mentioned questions, one is left with impression that the claim is more a wishful thinking than substantive evidence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
ayushalinagar, read the new essay by sahil2441 on the same subject. It is not perfect, but definitely stronger than yours.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
thanxx to all ,

finally i have figured out my problem. it seems that i dont have proper understanding of what is awa? so i am running out with my own conclusion and facts...

So any good source or link that you guys can recommend which may help me to understand the concepts of aw
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Read the post by 'Chineseburned' on awa.
It's the most popular awa guide.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I attempted essay for practice too, without reading the other responses. Feel free to critique. I know this may be short and I wasn't timing myself, probably less than 20 minutes.

The announcement by the publisher of the mercury believes that by lowering the price of their newspapers below the price of the competing newspaper The Bulge, the Mercury would increase circulation and attract more advertising. While the argument has some merit, the publisher’s argument has serious flaws that undermine the validity of the author’s conclusion.

First, the pricing of a certain newspaper is not always the principal reason for a reader to choose a certain newspaper. The quality of the stories, the reputation of the paper and its authors, and the availability of the newspapers can be more important than pricing.

Second, the author does not mention whether they are still exceeding The Bulge in circulation despite the recent decline in readership. For example, if the Mercury has millions of readers and still sells more than the Bulge, a decline of 10,000 readers is rather insignificant.

Third, the author does not mention specifically why there is a need to increase reader circulation and receive more advertising. Is it because the newspaper is unprofitable and losing money? Is it because Mercury wants to increase profits more through increased advertising? The author should have mentioned the underlying goal.

Hence, the author’s argument is rather unconvincing. The author fails to mention the specific goal of increasing circulation, and it is unclear whether a price decrease will increase newspaper circulation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Please analyse my essay and give the inputs:

According to the argument , the publisher concludes that the increased circulation of The Mercury will attract more business to buy advertising space in the paper. He bases his conclusion on the insufficient premises: Firstly, The best way to get more people to read The Mercury is to reduce its price below that of The Bugle. Secondly, Since The Bugle was started five years ago ,The mercury circulation has declined by 10,000 readers. The publisher assumes many aspects and his assumptions are flawed.
Firstly, the publisher assumes that it is because of lower- priced The Bugle newspaper that the circulation of The Mercury has declined. But he fails to consider various other factors such as Other newspapers might have taken over the market, Population of the residents might have reduced etc. Secondly, he assumes that reducing the price below that of The Bugle will increase the circulation. But he fails to take into account that there may be other factors such as Language of the newspaper, Dominant news content i.e. local, National, Or international. Lastly, he assumes that the increased circulation will attract more business. But he fails to consider other factors such as brand value of the newspaper, the target customer for the products etc. that the advertisers will look for before buying the advertising space.
The publisher’s argument may be justified if The Bugle and The Mercury are the only competing newspapers in the market. And all other factors that influence the circulation and the advertisers decision to buy space in the newspaper are comparable for both the newspapers.
The argument would be better constructed if some potential queries were addressed. A few include: Whether other newspapers compete in the same market space for the market share, whether the sales of The Bugle increased when the sales of The Mercury Decreased etc.
Thus, based on reasons cited above, the argument is ill constructed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think your arguments are not in depth make it simple and point to the topic.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hello

I attempted the following AWA argument as a part of one of my mock CATs. I'd be grateful if some of you could please go through the same and let me know of the areas requiring improvement and the overall vibe of the essay.

The following appeared in the opinion section of a national news magazine:
“To reverse the deterioration of the postal service, the government should raise the price of postage stamps. This solution will no doubt prove effective, since the price increase will generate larger revenues and will also reduce the volume of mail, thereby eliminating the strain on the existing system and contributing to improved morale.”
Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. In your discussion, be sure to analyze the line of reasoning and the use of evidence in the argument. For example, you may need to consider what questionable assumptions underlie the thinking and what alternative explanations or counterexamples might weaken the conclusion. You can also discuss what sort of evidence would strengthen or refute the argument, what changes in the argument would make it more logically sound, and what, if anything, would help you better evaluate its conclusion.

The above case bats for the increase in the price of the postage stamps as a way to pump up the revenue of the postal department and as a subsequent means of reversing the deterioration of the postal services. However, in attempting to put forward this proposition, it fails to consider some very key aspects of the system and the user demographics of the postal services.

To start with, it mentions no numerical value pertaining to the number of existing customers. It is important that the current number of postal services' consumers is at least at some minimum level for any realistic surge in the price of postal stamps of make sense. With a very, very limited user base, any practical price increase might not be enough to lift up the revenue numbers to the level of profitable. it is therefore imperative that one conducts a crisp study of the current customer base and number of stamp buyers before narrowing down to this specific idea of increasing revenues.

Secondly, the argument completely forgets that government services in most societies and nations are most popular among the middle and low income groups of the country. An increase in the stamp prices, or for that matter, in any of the government-owned commodities, products, or services might render them unaffordable for large swathes of the population, more so in developing and under-developed societies. It will then alienate the service, postal department in the above given case, from a considerable percent of the total population, and the little revenue increase due to the increase in price might be completely negated or worse, upturned into losses in many societies. With the steep increase in popularity of privately-owned yet economical logistics and courier services in most contemporary societies, this phenomenon of alienation of customers and reduction in user base might happen at several times the normal rate.

In addition to the above mentioned points, the case also completely forgets the power of various other infrastructure, business and marketing tools that have proven to be way more beneficial in increasing the revenue of myriad of companies as compared to any change in commodity price. From attractive advertisement and overhaul of the existing network and system to suit modern expectations and demands, to utilizing various financial opportunities available in today's economic ecosystem such as private funding, outsourcing services etc, the given proposition ignores the various modern techniques and instead relies on the archaic system of simple price increase, which is in fact hugely subjective considering the national economy, user demographics etc.

The given case therefore can be said as being too narrow-minded and lacking sufficient background data to sound convincing or practical. It is important that the current market sphere be explored better as well as more attention be given to rightly estimating the specifics of the postal department.

Thank you!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts