Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: How to best handle AWA and IR ? [#permalink]
Skag55 wrote:
So I was thinking lately, "is it worth skipping the AWA and IR, get a 0, and then do my best on the rest of the GMAT?".
As I was digesting this argument, I ended up in a more mature thought: "what if I don't stress too much for AWA and IR, and maybe go for a 2/8 or 3/8". This meaning that I will write my AWA, without worrying too much if I expanded or extended my argument too much, proceed to IR, focus on 4-5 questions which I think I can answer correctly, and take it really lightly for the rest of them.

What do you think?

P.S. I've no idea how IR is being handled by bschools, I'm planning to apply for 2014 courses. Also, I haven't seen anywhere IR being asked or rated or evaluated...moreover I just can't buy the argument that some people say "yeah...it doesn't really count, but it's nice to have a good mark". What does that even mean? That bschool admissions might say, "yeah, he got a 690, which is great, his application looks fine, his CV too, but....awwww...just missed it because of his low IR!"
:?

Dont take chance, devote a day or two, Its not difficult.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
prateekbhatt wrote:
Skag55 wrote:
So I was thinking lately, "is it worth skipping the AWA and IR, get a 0, and then do my best on the rest of the GMAT?".
As I was digesting this argument, I ended up in a more mature thought: "what if I don't stress too much for AWA and IR, and maybe go for a 2/8 or 3/8". This meaning that I will write my AWA, without worrying too much if I expanded or extended my argument too much, proceed to IR, focus on 4-5 questions which I think I can answer correctly, and take it really lightly for the rest of them.

What do you think?

P.S. I've no idea how IR is being handled by bschools, I'm planning to apply for 2014 courses. Also, I haven't seen anywhere IR being asked or rated or evaluated...moreover I just can't buy the argument that some people say "yeah...it doesn't really count, but it's nice to have a good mark". What does that even mean? That bschool admissions might say, "yeah, he got a 690, which is great, his application looks fine, his CV too, but....awwww...just missed it because of his low IR!"

Hi prateekbhatt,

The question is not whether to devote time or not, rather it's whether to squeeze my brain at the test day on these two sections.
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Send PM
Skag55 wrote:
prateekbhatt wrote:
Skag55 wrote:

What do you think?

Hi prateekbhatt,

The question is not whether to devote time or not, rather it's whether to squeeze my brain at the test day on these two sections.

Yes, definitely you must squeeze your brain on those sections. Have a look at these links..

can-i-skip-the-awa-and-ir-156116.html?fl=similar

ir-and-awa-prep-145603.html?fl=similar
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Hi,

It will be absolutely suicidal if u chose to ignore AWA and IR section..remember gmat score alone might give you an admission call from a b school or two, but it is your overall profile including AWA and IR sections which result in final conversion.

B schools look at your AWA score to judge your capability to analysis an issue,take a stand on it and express it concisely and clearly..
IR section is gaining increasing importance in getting interview calls.

If you take 2 similar profiles - profile 1 with GMAT score of 680 and IR score of 6 or 7, profile 2 with GMAT score of 700 and IR score of 3....mark my word, most b schools will prefer profile1 over profile2 even though profile1 has lower GMAT score.

For online GMAT preparation and tips visit https://bit.ly/XKxOPd

Cheers!
Neha Singh
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nehasingh1020 wrote:
Hi,

It will be absolutely suicidal if u chose to ignore AWA and IR section..remember gmat score alone might give you an admission call from a b school or two, but it is your overall profile including AWA and IR sections which result in final conversion.

B schools look at your AWA score to judge your capability to analysis an issue,take a stand on it and express it concisely and clearly..
IR section is gaining increasing importance in getting interview calls.

If you take 2 similar profiles - profile 1 with GMAT score of 680 and IR score of 6 or 7, profile 2 with GMAT score of 700 and IR score of 3....mark my word, most b schools will prefer profile1 over profile2 even though profile1 has lower GMAT score.

For online GMAT preparation and tips visit https://bit.ly/XKxOPd

Cheers!
Neha Singh

Hi Neha,

I don't know if you are or have been part of admissions to be so sure about the 2 different profiles, I'm not saying it CAN'T happen, but to be honest, between 2 candidates with gmat 680 and 700, I think they would look at the rest of their application (CV, personal statements and stories etc). Think, if GMAT is a fraction of the application (as b-schools claim), then IR and AWA are a fraction of the fraction.
Again, I'm not saying THEY CAN'T COUNT, I'm saying I haven't found any evidence that they do plus, who judges how good is good? (i.e. how good is 6 or 4 or 8?)
Director
Director
Send PM
lilugmat wrote:
Struggle for IR, any hints?

Follow this link..

integrated-reasoning-ir-177/
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Hi,

Sure, amongst choosing between 2 candidates whose scores are 680 and 700, entire profile,essays etc will be looked at. This is why I mentioned that between 2 'SIMILAR' profiles, and GMAT scores of 680 and 700, one with higher IR score may be preferred.
Now, how good is a 4 or 6, %ile score that you get for your 4 or 6,gives that answer..

To know more on recent trends in IR, go through this article https://bit.ly/17KMRMM

Feel free to write if you have further queries.

Cheers!
Neha Singh
GMAT Club Bot