Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [38]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 702 [2]
Send PM
Re: Of the people who brought about the Reformation, the religious revolut [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Krishna,

Why A is wrong...heres my 2 cents....

Of the people who brought about the Reformation, the religious revolution that grew out of objections to the doctrines of the medieval church, Martin Luther is the best known of them .

The sentence begins with "of the people" - this means that the guy being mentioned later on is one among them. So when A says in the latter part of the phrase that Martin Luther....of them.. that of them is redundant!

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 104
Send PM
Re: Of the people who brought about the Reformation, the religious revolut [#permalink]
Kudos
I think it is B.

The scentence starts with "of the people" - so the correction scentence should start with Martin Luther and so on..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 432 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Of the people who brought about the Reformation, the religious revolut [#permalink]

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

After you read the sentence, always scan the choices quickly to spot differences. Two choces here use "better"; three use "best." "Better" is used when you compare two people or things. "Best" is used when you compare one person or thing to a whole group. Since you're comparing Martin Luther to ALL the people who brought about the Reformation, you have to use "best." "Them" and "one" in (A) and (E) are ambiguous and unnecessary.

by the way you can take their free test online: https://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/About-the-GMAT/index.html
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Of the people who brought about the Reformation,the religious revolution that grew out of objections to the doctrines of the medieval church,Martin Luther is the best known of them.

(A)Martin Luther is the best known of them.
>>> WRONG. "of them" is redundant, because there is "of the people" at the beginning.

(B)the best known is Martin Luther
>>> WRONG. "The best known" is not a subject, it is adjective. We need a real subject, like "the best known person".

(C)the better known of them was Martin Luther
>>> WRONG. "of them" is redundant. Also, "better" is wrong, we must use superlative comparison form here because there is "OF the people"

(D)Martin Luther is better known
>>> WRONG. we must use superlative comparison here because of "OF the people"

(E)the best known one was Martin Luther.
>>> CORRECT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 250
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
The reason for eliminating E is the absence of antecedent of "one"

Am I wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Of the people who brought about the Reformation, the religious revolution that grew out of objections to the doctrines of the medieval church, Martin Luther is the best known of them.

(A) Martin Luther is the best known of them
(B) the best known is Martin Luther
(C) the better known of them was Martin Luther
(D) Martin Luther is better known
(E) the best known one was Martin Luther

bluetrain wrote:
The reason for eliminating E is the absence of antecedent of "one"

Am I wrong?

1. We compare Martin Luther 2 all people, so it is the form "the most" - "the best" ---> C, D are out.

2. A is out. Because construction of the sentence says to us that the underlined part has to start from "the best known".
If it starts as A it will be not a sentence. Some strange sort of clause.

3. And this is the answer to your question, bluetrain, E is out (one of the reasons) because it has "was". But we talk about facts. He was not known, he is known in any times. Another reason is that "one" is totally redundant in E.

So, B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Given Kudos: 238
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
crisnas wrote:
Hi All,

the answer is B.
But, I still am not able to reason out why. Is there any rule? Can some one give a detailed anwer why A is wrong?

Krishna

'them' at end is making it redundant.

Ex:
Of the people..., Martin Luther is the best known of them.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts