Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:46 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2573 [187]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [74]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1370 [31]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [5]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Medicare, the United States government’s health insurance program for [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
rohansherry wrote:
Medicare, the United States government’s health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of home health care, but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.

A. but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.

B. but not of other nonhospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.

C . but not of other nonhospital services, for which beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs.

D. which is unlike other nonhospital services in that 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.

E. which is unlike other nonhospital services that make beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that Medicare covers the full cost of home health care but does not cover the full cost of other nonhospital services, for which beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Verb Forms + Modifiers + Parallelism + Idioms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• Any elements linked by a conjunction ("but" in this case) must be parallel.
• "where" is only used to refer to a physical location.
• The introduction of present participle ("verb+ing"- “making” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.
• "who/whose/whom/which/where", when preceded by a comma, refers to the noun just before the comma.

A: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between "of home health care" and "with other nonhospital services"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("but" in this case) must be parallel. Further, Option A incorrectly refers to "nonhospital services" with "where"; please remember, "where" is only used to refer to a physical location. Additionally, Option A uses the passive voice construction "20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs"; the use of the "comma + present participle ("verb+ing" - "making" in this sentence)" construction incorrectly implies that Medicare covers the full cost of home health care but does not cover the full cost of other nonhospital services, and as a result makes beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs; the intended meaning is that Medicare covers the full cost of home health care but does not cover the full cost of other nonhospital services, for which beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs; please remember, the introduction of present participle ("verb+ing"- “making” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

C: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to "other nonhospital services" with "for which...costs" - conveying the intended meaning - that Medicare covers the full cost of home health care, but it does not cover the full cost of other nonhospital services, and for these services, beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs. Further, Option C correctly maintains parallelism between "of home health care" and "of other nonhospital services". Additionally, Option C avoids the incorrect usage of "where" seen in Option A, as it does not utilize "where". Besides, Option C is free of any awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice incorrectly refers to "full cost of home health care" with "which is unlike...other beneficiaries", illogically implying that Medicare covers the full cost of home health care, and this cost is unlike other nonhospital services in that beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of this cost; the intended meaning is that Medicare covers the full cost of home health care, but it does not cover the full cost of other nonhospital services, and beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs for other nonhospital services; remember, "who/whose/whom/which/where", when preceded by a comma, refer to the noun just before the comma. Further, Option D uses the passive voice construction "20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: This answer choice incorrectly refers to "full cost of home health care" with "which is unlike...costs", illogically implying that Medicare covers the full cost of home health care, and this cost is unlike the other nonhospital services that make beneficiaries pay 20 percent of their costs; the intended meaning is that Medicare covers the full cost of home health care, but it does not cover the full cost of other nonhospital services, and beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs for other nonhospital services; remember, "who/whose/whom/which/where", when preceded by a comma, refer to the noun just before the comma.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Comma + Present Participle for Cause-Effect Relationship" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~3 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 276 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Medicare, the United States government’s health insurance program for [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO C....
|| ism ...full cost of home health care..........but not of....

In B..I think...particpal phrase ..."making benefeciaries pay...." modify nonhospital services....which changes the menaing ...bcoz it is not nonhospitla services,which is making benfeciaries pay...it is the insurance plan that doesn't cover such services...Plz elaborate if I m wrong...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NUS, NTU, SMU, AGSM, Melbourne School of Business
 Q39  V28
Send PM
Kudos
Agree with age. Parellelism is the error.
".. full cost of... but not of.."

Is C the answer?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5419 [3]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
New learning for me - for which works as that.

Thanks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1938 [2]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Kudos
i checked the web .. OA is indeed C

i think the problem with B is that sentence discusses the costs, which not covered by US govt, not the action that makes them pay 20%. so the correct choice is C. In B, 'making' focuses on the action.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [5]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This is a good question, one that (yet again) exemplifies the importance of understanding the meaning of the sentence.

I will definitely help you with choice B, but before I do that, you need to answer a few questions about the original choice.
Medicare, the United States government's health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of home health care, but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.

1: What does the sentence (original choice) tell us about Medicare coverage of cost of home health care?
2: What does the sentence (original choice) tell us about Medicare coverage of cost of other non-hospital services?

Once you answer the above questions for choice A, then answer the same questions for choice B
Medicare, the United States government's health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of home health care but not of other non-hospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.
1: What does the sentence (original choice) tell us about Medicare coverage of cost of home health care?
2: What does the sentence (original choice) tell us about Medicare coverage of cost of other non-hospital services?
3: What makes beneficiaries pay 20% of the costs?

I will look forward to your responses.

Payal
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Send PM
Hey Payal,

I guess sungoal is offf for now.

Here are my inputs.

The conveyed meaning : Medicare covers full cost of homecare. Whereas for other non hospital services 20% must be paid by the user.

Here IMO option B is erroneous because it gives a causal relationship for the entire clause. i.e For all the services provided by Medicare the end users must pay 20%.

In option C it is clear that only for non hospital services the users must pay 20%.

I have a few other doubts too.
What is wrong with option A ? - Is it the usage of the pronoun where. where can refer only to places but here there is no place indicated. Is A correct if we replace "where" with " in which "

According to e-gmat concept of clausation in option C,

non hospital services, for which ---> Is it ok to use which in this manner. Here the comma + for is a conjunction and there is anew clause following the for . What does which refers to. According to the meaning it refers to non hospital services. But what is the role of which in this context.

Thanks in advance.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
sungoal wrote:
Medicare, the United States government's health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of
home health care, but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
A. but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
B. but not of other nonhospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.
C. but not of other nonhospital services, for which beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs.
D. which is unlike other nonhospital services in that 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
E. which is unlike other nonhospital services that make beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.

I am confused between options B and C. OA is given as C.

Experts please explain why option B is wrong. Isn't the participial phrase "making beneficiaries...." correctly modifying the preceding clause correctly?

Less is more!

1) Identify that parallelism is at play here. The full cost of home health care covers the full cost of...*this* but not *of that*
You'll have to read the whole sentence to catch where exactly that cut off is
2) D & E are out as are A. B&C are in.
3) C has a comma, which means phrase after it is describing nonhospital services. This is true. The phrase after describes nonhospital services, and not the US health insurance program in general, which is what B does.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Solve this question in 45 seconds straight:

-->Read the sentence as : Medicare covers the full cost of HHC,_____
Just breeze through the modifier, especially when it is in the non underlined part of the portion of an SC.

Context Medicare covers for thing 1, but it does not cover for thing 2.

Now, you know that but/which are your only two possible answer choices.
Which refers to the noun preceded by the word which. Hence, based on the context, you can eliminate D,E without analyzing too much.

Move to answer choices A,B,C
A) use of the word 'where' has to point to a physical location.
B) -Ing form set off by a comma refers to the whole clause, the subject, or shows the result of the preceding clause. or to say it simply -ing form here would mean that because medicare covers the full cost of home health care it is making beneficiaries pay 20% of the cost. Doesn't make sense.
C) Which here differs from 'which' in answer choices D,E. It points to other non hospital services for which extra money is paid same as in D,E, however, the modified noun did not state what the sentence meant to say.
Hence this answer choice, unlike D,E, is contextually correct

Hope this helps :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4467 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Why do you think that B is incorrect.
The united states government COVERS ,the full cost of hhc but not of x, ........--->we must use a word to imply an I ongoing action. A "must pay" poses as a rule.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [3]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos