Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
HBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [3]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.02
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.7
WE:Other (Education)
Send PM
HBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
Re: Hough Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
DirtyMagic97 wrote:
tripsd wrote:
Has anyone been able to visit campus yet? The new building is absolutely gorgeous and the school is definitely making moves to improve their standing. I think this is probably one of the best bangs for your buck out there.

I'm a little late here, but I have been to the campus several times. Never taken an official tour, but Hough is a very nice building. UF is definitely trying to improve their standing and it seems to be working.

This is the only school I am applying to. It's such a good value to me. I'm a little unsure if my application will really stand out. I have a 3.02 undergrad GPA in Marketing and Supply Chain Management. My first GMAT attempt yielded me a 650. I am taking the GMAT again in March and all of my practice tests have been in excess of 680. Hoping to break 700. My work experience is limited, but high in quality. I was promoted to plant manager after just 3 months with my company, and just last year I received a promotion to Vice President of Operations. I will have a total of 36 months of work experience upon matriculation. Anyone think I have a chance?

I think you have a good shot. Experience sounds relevant and impressive. When I interviewed there, the sense I got was that they're very big on fit: how well do you know the program, where will you make an impact, etc. Make sure you know what makes UF unique and can articulate that in an interview. Like you, I applied with a below-average GPA (2.77) and was worried -- UF's average is one of the higher in the country at about 3.5 -- but they offered me a full-tuition scholarship.

Good luck!
HBS Moderator
Send PM
astryker wrote:
DirtyMagic97 wrote:
tripsd wrote:
Has anyone been able to visit campus yet? The new building is absolutely gorgeous and the school is definitely making moves to improve their standing. I think this is probably one of the best bangs for your buck out there.

I'm a little late here, but I have been to the campus several times. Never taken an official tour, but Hough is a very nice building. UF is definitely trying to improve their standing and it seems to be working.

This is the only school I am applying to. It's such a good value to me. I'm a little unsure if my application will really stand out. I have a 3.02 undergrad GPA in Marketing and Supply Chain Management. My first GMAT attempt yielded me a 650. I am taking the GMAT again in March and all of my practice tests have been in excess of 680. Hoping to break 700. My work experience is limited, but high in quality. I was promoted to plant manager after just 3 months with my company, and just last year I received a promotion to Vice President of Operations. I will have a total of 36 months of work experience upon matriculation. Anyone think I have a chance?

I think you have a good shot. Experience sounds relevant and impressive. When I interviewed there, the sense I got was that they're very big on fit: how well do you know the program, where will you make an impact, etc. Make sure you know what makes UF unique and can articulate that in an interview. Like you, I applied with a below-average GPA (2.77) and was worried -- UF's average is one of the higher in the country at about 3.5 -- but they offered me a full-tuition scholarship.

Good luck!

First off, congratulations! That is very impressive. Thanks for the reply. My essays revolve around my love for the University. I've been going to the campus since I was 5 years old with my grandparents and I always feel more at home in Gainesville than anywhere else I have been.

May I ask what you mean by "where you will make an impact" in your above statement? Is that in regards to what I want to do personally and what I plan to give back to the school?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
DirtyMagic97 wrote:
First off, congratulations! That is very impressive. Thanks for the reply. My essays revolve around my love for the University. I've been going to the campus since I was 5 years old with my grandparents and I always feel more at home in Gainesville than anywhere else I have been.

May I ask what you mean by "where you will make an impact" in your above statement? Is that in regards to what I want to do personally and what I plan to give back to the school?

Yeah, exactly. Every good business school wants to know how you're going to make them proud, win them respect among the other schools they're ranked against. What clubs will you join and/or lead? How about case competitions? Have you thought specifically about your career immediately post-MBA and whether UF is the place to take you there? What does it offer, in terms of academics and extracurriculars, that aligns with your specific goals that other schools don't offer? And, crucially, can you connect the dots and articulate it all well in essays and in an interview?

As a side note, if I were you, I'd think twice about spending more than one essay talking about your love of the school. It helps to mention it, but the admission folks know why the school is great, they spend a substantial chunk of time each year preaching it, and if that's the focus of all your essays, you run the risk of (a) boring them, and (b) leaving them with little insight into who you are as a person. Everyone who applies to UF wants to be there (otherwise they wouldn't bother), so it's not a very effective way to distinguish yourself from other applicants. Instead, consider focusing on either a unique, formative story from your past (pre-MBA) or your specific vision for your career when you leave Gainesville (post-MBA).

Just my two cents -- feel free to disagree!
HBS Moderator
Send PM
astryker wrote:
DirtyMagic97 wrote:

Yeah, exactly. Every good business school wants to know how you're going to make them proud, win them respect among the other schools they're ranked against. What clubs will you join and/or lead? How about case competitions? Have you thought specifically about your career immediately post-MBA and whether UF is the place to take you there? What does it offer, in terms of academics and extracurriculars, that aligns with your specific goals that other schools don't offer? And, crucially, can you connect the dots and articulate it all well in essays and in an interview?

As a side note, if I were you, I'd think twice about spending more than one essay talking about your love of the school. It helps to mention it, but the admission folks know why the school is great, they spend a substantial chunk of time each year preaching it, and if that's the focus of all your essays, you run the risk of (a) boring them, and (b) leaving them with little insight into who you are as a person. Everyone who applies to UF wants to be there (otherwise they wouldn't bother), so it's not a very effective way to distinguish yourself from other applicants. Instead, consider focusing on either a unique, formative story from your past (pre-MBA) or your specific vision for your career when you leave Gainesville (post-MBA).

Just my two cents -- feel free to disagree!

Thanks for the feedback! I will keep all of that in mind if I am invited in for an interview.

I suppose I misspoke a bit there. The essays are pretty direct, so you can't get away with schmoozing UF for too long before it's obvious you have just ignored the prompt. I really only spoke about my personal love for the school in the "Any additional information" and "UF-specific" essays. My "Why MBA" essay explains my vision post-MBA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.7
WE:Other (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Pitch in my two cents though you have already gotten some fabulous advice.

I think if you can really break a 700 you have a fantastic shot at admittance. UF seems to be really making a strong push to rise in the rankings and it seems to me (just my outside opinion after seeing 5 of my friends graduate from the program and several friends get rejected) put a large emphasis on the measurable characteristics (GPA GMAT work experience). A 700 would be strong and help offset the lower than average GPA. Are you applying for start Fall 2014? If not, look into showing your serious about school by taking a relevant night class or something.

I think for your essays telling them you think the school is special is great. I think also selling why you can contribute to the class and what you're going to be able to give back to the school is important. Fitting with the culture. Small class sizes, dedicated building are all huge pluses. They have the beautiful new facitilities and the small class means you get a lot of great access. Maybe you're interested in being close to aerospace industry or the entertainment mega industry down in Orlando. A long as you are able to sell the fit both ways you will be in a strong spot.

I would also sign up for an official tour. with a relatively small program it can't hurt to get to konw the people around there!

Wishing you best of luck!

DirtyMagic97 wrote:
tripsd wrote:

HBS Moderator
Send PM
tripsd wrote:
Pitch in my two cents though you have already gotten some fabulous advice.

I think if you can really break a 700 you have a fantastic shot at admittance. UF seems to be really making a strong push to rise in the rankings and it seems to me (just my outside opinion after seeing 5 of my friends graduate from the program and several friends get rejected) put a large emphasis on the measurable characteristics (GPA GMAT work experience). A 700 would be strong and help offset the lower than average GPA. Are you applying for start Fall 2014? If not, look into showing your serious about school by taking a relevant night class or something.

I think for your essays telling them you think the school is special is great. I think also selling why you can contribute to the class and what you're going to be able to give back to the school is important. Fitting with the culture. Small class sizes, dedicated building are all huge pluses. They have the beautiful new facitilities and the small class means you get a lot of great access. Maybe you're interested in being close to aerospace industry or the entertainment mega industry down in Orlando. A long as you are able to sell the fit both ways you will be in a strong spot.

I would also sign up for an official tour. with a relatively small program it can't hurt to get to konw the people around there!

Wishing you best of luck!

DirtyMagic97 wrote:
tripsd wrote:

All this feedback is great! Thanks so much. I am applying for Fall 2014. I know that I am capable of 700+, it's just a matter of putting it all together on test day. I will continue to work very hard to improve my score.

I will definitely be sure to sell what I have to offer to the school. I know it is the perfect school for me and that is why I'm not applying anywhere else. I only want to go to UF.

I have been in correspondence with essentially every person in the admissions department. I'm sure they have grown tired of my countless email inquiries. I am hoping to set up a day to travel to Gainesville and have an official tour.

Thanks for all of your help! I will be sure to update as soon as I have received my decision.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello GMATCLUB Members,

We are bringing a webinar with Q&A as well as chats with current students focused on the Waitlisted Applicants.
The first event of this series is Webinar conducted by Admissionado's Founder and HBS Alum Jon Frank. Jon will share his suggestions followed by a Q&A session. This is your opportunity to ask your specific questions. The webinar will take place on 31st January 2014, Friday, 9 AM PST.

We shall also be conducting chat sessions with some Current students from various schools who were successfully admitted from a waitlist so you can learn what to expect from the process, what worked for them, and what it takes. These chats shall take place in our Chat Room. We will release the times & Dates (all will be the first week of February)

Webinar Link: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/pjoin/531329318/105379349
Download event to your Outlook
If you are on a waitlist - you do NOT want to miss these!

The webinar and chats are free. There will be a 30-minute Q&A session at the end of the Webinar on Friday Jan 31st at 9 AM PST - join to have your questions answered.

Thank You! :)
HBS Moderator
Send PM
I had a chance to go look at the new building. It was an unofficial tour. I just happen to know someone in the program and he took me through the building. They really did a great job. The building is beautiful and has both modern and traditional elements to it. I wish I could have had an opportunity to speak with a professor. I had lunch with my friend off campus and got some good insight into the program.
HBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Just a reminder that the Round 2 deadline is approaching. The Round 2 Deadline is set for Sunday, February 9th, so make sure you get all your materials in if you have them!

If you are like me and you are not quite finished with your application, fear not. UF did rolling admissions well into the summer last year. I was in contact with an admission representative, and she informed me that applications would be accepted up until a week before the program began. Not saying you should wait that long, but you can!

If your application is missing just the GMAT score, I suggest faxing over an unofficial copy of your GMAT as soon as you have it. It will help the AdCom make a decision on your application until they receive the official score. Good luck!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply

!
Join us for a chat with several current students who have been admitted from WL last year.
When: Tue Feb 4th at 9 AM PST
Where: GMAT Club Chat

The recording of the Getting off a Waitlist Webinar is now available on Youtube:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Lo8LAfOIQ[/youtube]
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 4: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 2.71
WE:Underwriter (Other)
Send PM
DirtyMagic97 wrote:
Just a reminder that the Round 2 deadline is approaching. The Round 2 Deadline is set for Sunday, February 9th, so make sure you get all your materials in if you have them!

If you are like me and you are not quite finished with your application, fear not. UF did rolling admissions well into the summer last year. I was in contact with an admission representative, and she informed me that applications would be accepted up until a week before the program began. Not saying you should wait that long, but you can!

If your application is missing just the GMAT score, I suggest faxing over an unofficial copy of your GMAT as soon as you have it. It will help the AdCom make a decision on your application until they receive the official score. Good luck!

@DirtyMagic97 Do you know if UF still awards scholarships for those who missed the round 2 deadline?
HBS Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
doggdetroit wrote:
DirtyMagic97 wrote:

@DirtyMagic97 Do you know if UF still awards scholarships for those who missed the round 2 deadline?

The deadlines are there for "priority scholarship consideration" purposes. Last year, there were scholarships available after the R2 deadline. After decisions on R2 applicants have been made for this cycle, we will be able to find out if scholarships will still be available.
HBS Moderator
Send PM
February Information Sessions
Jacksonville – Tuesday, February 18th, 7:00pm | Register
Jacksonville Marriott
4670 Salisbury Road
Jacksonville, FL 32256

Orlando – Wednesday, February 19th, 7:00pm | Register
Doubletree By Hilton Orlando Downtown
60 S. Ivanhoe Boulevard
Orlando FL 32804

Tampa – Thursday, February 20th, 7:00pm | Register
Intercontinental Hotel
4860 West Kennedy Boulevard
Tampa, FL 33609
HBS Moderator
Send PM
Just FYI, I updated the original post to give an overview of the information I received from a phone conversation with Craig Petrus, the Director of Career Services at UF. I also added the UF MBA twitter feed.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 4: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 2.71
WE:Underwriter (Other)
Send PM
DirtyMagic97 wrote:
Just FYI, I updated the original post to give an overview of the information I received from a phone conversation with Craig Petrus, the Director of Career Services at UF. I also added the UF MBA twitter feed.

What are your thoughts on the small class size at UF? I live in Florida so I wouldn't mind ending up in Orlando or Miami (where most UF MBA graduates find employment) but the small class size gives me some pause. According to US News there are 116 students enrolled in the full time MBA program, but I believe this includes the 1 year MBA programs. Do students in the 2 year program take classes or interact with the students in the 1 year MBA programs?
HBS Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
doggdetroit wrote:
DirtyMagic97 wrote:

What are your thoughts on the small class size at UF? I live in Florida so I wouldn't mind ending up in Orlando or Miami (where most UF MBA graduates find employment) but the small class size gives me some pause. According to US News there are 116 students enrolled in the full time MBA program, but I believe this includes the 1 year MBA programs. Do students in the 2 year program take classes or interact with the students in the 1 year MBA programs?

A lot of that depends on what you are looking for in your MBA. Obviously a larger class size allows for broadened networking and gaining connections as you go. The benefit of a smaller class size at the top MBA program in Florida lies in recruiting. I feel you stand a much better chance of being noticed during OCIs with a smaller class size. Your career services advisor will also be able to recommend help you on a more intimate level, as they can really get to know you and your aspirations as a professional.

As far as interaction with 1-year students, I think UF holds the occasional mixer here and there and you are also in Hough with many students from other programs, so you are bound to make friends. Your cohorts who arrive on campus with you will always be your most closely-knit MBA family though.

As a Florida resident looking to potentially gain employment in Miami or Orlando, I think UF is probably one of the most valuable programs for you to choose from. Hope this helps!
HBS Moderator
Send PM
Please be advised that the Round 2 deadline for the Two-Year Traditional program has been extended to April 1, 2014. That means scholarships are still available, so get your applications in quickly!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts