Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which school to join?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V24
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: IIM Bangalore (top Indian B school) vs UCLA Anderson $$ [#permalink]
Hmm I think this situation is based on your interest that where you want to stay after the completion of your education because it will be better for you. If you are planning to go abroad for a life time so you have to go to US for MBA otherwise India will be the answer of your question. If you are still in a dilemma so you can contact with Selective Consultants Pvt. Ltd. they will give you best counseling which helps you in your future.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
It primarily depends on your risk appetite. It is not about comparing two schools. I think you should be comparing two countries.

I will encourage you to get in touch with the Alums of both the schools. Find out more about the IIM Executive MBA( I am assuming that you are referring to the Executive Program) and understand the roles they are playing in the Indian markets. Evaluate what is it that you are keen on doing in the future.

If you are concerned with the Tuition/Loan of an expensive US School, I will recommend you apply for a Canadian Citizenship the moment you fly to UCLA. Let the clock of citizenship tick and take its own time. By the time you graduate from the school, you will be a Canadian citizen. In the wake of VISA rejection from the US, your plan B will be to work in Canada.

UCLA Anyday. Go for it. You cannot compare that exposure with what you will gain in Bangalore.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [3]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
On top of everything that has been said, i would go with Anderson. The Indian economy, is becoming globalized. What this means is that, although you can hide from the global economy for the next five years (yay...don't have to deal with visas, etc), what happens in ten years when a person with an Anderson MBA comes home to India and applies for same executive job as you? Who would the top company in India pick? Recently, the Indian govt. picked a booth prof. (who is Indian) to lead the Indian Central Bank. Doesn't mean there were no others who have experience in India.

International mobility should be one of your concerns right now, because it will have an impact on your career years from now. Anderson balances both your immediate plans (though painful), plus your future plans. On the other hand, the other school helps with your immediate plans, but in the long run, it won't help you that much.

Anderson, the clear choice.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
It really boils down to your risk appetite. I am surprised by the fact that NUS dinged you while UCLA accepted you. Just goes to show how GMAT focussed Asian Business Schools are.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Send PM
Thank you all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
What about ISB Vs. UCLA Anderson?

ISB (Indian School of Business, Hyderabad) is considered better than most Indian B-Schools (including IIMs) in many aspects such as global exposure, placements etc..

If we take money (fees) out of the picture, which one will you choose?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
LeoDiCaprio wrote:
What about ISB Vs. UCLA Anderson?

ISB (Indian School of Business, Hyderabad) is considered better than most Indian B-Schools (including IIMs) in many aspects such as global exposure, placements etc..

If we take money (fees) out of the picture, which one will you choose?

ISB does not really provide you with global exposure. Anderson is one of best business school out there. It would be provide you with a truly amazing education, a global network and prestige. ISB is a great Indian school, the operative word there is "Indian". India is not a world leader or the largest economy or the country that monopolizes and also revolutionized business education. Go to the place where you get the opportunity to learn from the best. Even if you are coming back to India to work. Anderson will have a better impact on your career especially because there so many Indian candidates getting their MBAs from the top schools in the world.

The only way I would choose ISB over top US business schools is that if you are gonna work for your family business.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
In addition to what has been said, ISB makes sense for Indian Applicants who are looking to work in India for the following reasons

- CAT pattern of IIM is erratic and not suitable for working professionals. in the sense it require 3 times the preparation of GMAT and is offered only in a narrow window of 1 week.
- The total number of seats at ISB is 770, with almost 97% kids are of Indian citizenship. Now the total number of enrolled students at US Top 50 School is ~11,000. I think of this 7% are Indians(out of total of 30% international applicants). So basically you have equal number of Indians at top 50 US Business School all put together and at ISB. I also believe the average GMAT of Indians at these schools in same as GMAT score at ISB ~ 700. So in effect by applying to ISB you are applying to all Top 50 Business Schools in one go. I know I am making some assumptions here. But would like to see what all have to say about this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
In addition to what has been said, ISB makes sense for Indian Applicants who are looking to work in India for the following reasons

- CAT pattern of IIM is erratic and not suitable for working professionals. in the sense it require 3 times the preparation of GMAT and is offered only in a narrow window of 1 week.
- The total number of seats at ISB is 770, with almost 97% kids are of Indian citizenship. Now the total number of enrolled students at US Top 50 School is ~11,000. I think of this 7% are Indians(out of total of 30% international applicants). So basically you have equal number of Indians at top 50 US Business School all put together and at ISB. I also believe the average GMAT of Indians at these schools in same as GMAT score at ISB ~ 700. So in effect by applying to ISB you are applying to all Top 50 Business Schools in one go. I know I am making some assumptions here. But would like to see what all have to say about this.

You bring up some good points but I don't fully comprehend applying to ISB=applying at the top 50 US b schools point.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Send PM
The point is that almost everyone I know who applied to ISB was admitted. Maybe rejects have NOT projected themselves. What I am trying to say is ISB is a good option for people who want to increase their admission chances.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
It really depends on the type of experience you want out of b-school. Your most likely exit for UCLA in pharma with be in some kind of rotation program, that provide you with global perspective before sending you back to India, due to work authorization issues. Consulting isn’t a strong suit for UCLA, even if you go into consulting, it is very likely that you’ll have to find another job in 2-4 years, in which case you’ll have to confront the visa issue again.

For IIM-B, your opportunity will be limited in India. While you may miss out on the international rotations, you will benefit from building your network and credibility within the company, which will give you an advantage vs coming in from international rotation without connections in the local market.

In my opinion, if it’s IIM-A vs UCLA, there’s a good case for IIM-A (IIM-A has great access to top tier consulting). For IIM-B vs. UCLA, it’s an equal proposition, pending your career goals.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Send PM
Matriculating at Anderson. Thank you all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi Buddy,
I'm curious to know how did your decision turn out 2 years down the line? I'm in a similar fix today and I'm sure things have changed a lot in last few years...Any advice for me?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1132 posts