Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Impact of GMAT on getting a job interview [#permalink]
gdediegoi wrote:
Hi,

I have been trying to dig out some information on how relevant the GMAT is to get an interview in top tier consultancy/finance firms however I don't seem to find any information.
Is there anyone willing to share his/her experience with interview invitations? For some reason I don't think it is very likely someone will receive an invitation for an interview at BCG/Mk/B if the chap had a 660 in the GMAT.

Thanks!

Having a 780+ would make you stand out during the screening process, having a 650- might hurt your chances. Between them, its the other baggage you have that will either push you into the interview call or pull you down. Ex :Having a good CGPA might make up for a less than stellar GMAT. So, work on other aspects of your application over which you have control and stop worrying about GMAT. Once you get the interview invite, 800/650 doest count. Your performance on that day is whats gonna get you an offer.

Having said that, at INSEAD (I am an Alum), only McK amongst MBB asked for GMAT during my recruitment time. BCG/Bain didn't bother. Between-INSEAD has grade non disclosure policy as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Simon Business School - Class of 2012
GPA: 3.91
WE:Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
Technically, the GMAT is only used for the purpose of qualifying students for an MBA program... companies aren't supposed to look at your GMAT score for hiring purposes. That doesn't mean they don't do it though...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
AmyCope wrote:
Technically, the GMAT is only used for the purpose of qualifying students for an MBA program... companies aren't supposed to look at your GMAT score for hiring purposes. That doesn't mean they don't do it though...

The GMAT may have been designed to assess MBA readiness, but that is definitely not the only purpose it's used for. There is no such thing as "aren't supposed to." Fact is, every consulting firm application asks for SAT and GMAT scores and they should be on your resume if that's a career path you're interested in. Standard measures of analytic ability factor heavily into interview decisions, though not necessarily hiring ones.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Simon Business School - Class of 2012
GPA: 3.91
WE:Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
Before taking the exam, GMAC has long disclaimer about the test, what it's used for, consequences of cheating, etc... it clearly states that GMAT scores are only for the purpose of evaluating a candidate for school admissions and scholarships and cannot be required for the purpose of obtaining a job.

I may be the only person who actually read that though... because Yes, you are right... consulting companies do require them and they do have an impact on getting hired.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Is there a score MBB prefers to see though? I had read that it was 700 and up, but recently read that it was 720 and up.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Impact of GMAT on getting a job interview [#permalink]
politricks wrote:
Is there a score MBB prefers to see though? I had read that it was 700 and up, but recently read that it was 720 and up.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Funny enough, was just having this discussion with some of my colleagues at MBB. Between the 9 of us, everyone had a 720+ GMAT, although none of us are URM (we're Caucasians, East Asians, Indians). A colleague involved in the recruiting process confirms it is definitely, definitely a screening mechanism.

Originally posted by EnigmaD on 14 Jul 2014, 15:33.
Last edited by EnigmaD on 24 Jul 2014, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
What about undergrad GPA? Do they weigh it differently if you have more pre-MBA work experience similar to b-schools?

I have an acceptable GMAT for MBB, but undergrad GPA will be out there...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dtse86 wrote:
What about undergrad GPA? Do they weigh it differently if you have more pre-MBA work experience similar to b-schools?

I have an acceptable GMAT for MBB, but undergrad GPA will be out there...

I had a 3.0 from an Ivy League with 5 years of good career trajectory.

From my own limited experiences, I think that once you get a interview invite (which can be done through great networking, great resume, or hopefully both), it all comes down to how you do in the cases.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 4
Send PM
How about non disclosure policies at specific schools? I'm pretty sure companies cannot ask and candidates cannot tell. Anyone willing to enlighten me?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NeverGivingUp wrote:
How about non disclosure policies at specific schools? I'm pretty sure companies cannot ask and candidates cannot tell. Anyone willing to enlighten me?

Correct in regards to MBA GPA. Companies cannot ask and you cannot tell. However, you can put down awards like Dean's List that are derived from GPA at some schools. Of course companies have the right to ask for your transcript after they extend you an offer.

Undergrad GPA is not protected by non-disclosure however and is often requested in job applications (at least for consulting and bigtech it was).
GMAT Club Bot