Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [1]
Send PM
Re: Help in RC [#permalink]
Bookmarks
duttsit wrote:
Friends,

I need your help in formulating strategy for attacking RC passages. As we do not discuss RC often here it is difficult to learn from others here. Moreever, RC questions are the more in number than any other category in GMAT.

I would appreciate if you can suggest some tips and answer some of these questions:

- what is permissible time to answer RC passage with 5 questions? 10/12?

- For speficic questions (according the passage...), is it good idea to go to passage. It surely takes times to go to passage for all answer choices. However, I cannot claim to know this level of detail during initial passage scan?

- when questions asks about meaning of a word/phrase in a statement, do we need to answer in the context of whole passage or only in the context of the statement?

- during test do we know the number of questions in a passage? If not, what is the average number of questions and avg length of passage I should expect to see in real test?

thanks in advance.

I agree with you Duttsit, members very rarely post RCs probably because of the huge intimidation factor- RCs are the most challenging component for most (especially non-native) test takers.

Coffeeloverfreak has got some great comments on how to "attack" RCs, so hopefully he/she can chime in on this topic.

Some key things to keep in mind to make RCs a little less burdensome:

1. Know the standard 4 themes- Physical Science, Social Science, Humanities, and (unbelievably) Business. Read from some old college core texts on these subjects half a page at a time and then try paraphrasing what you just read. ***This skill will also have an impact on SC and CR performance.

2. Use the scratch paper and make a passage map. Read the first few lines of each paragraph extra carefully to see which direction the author is going (compare/contrast, explain, advocate, critique, rebut) and use shorthand notes to save time.

3. Take special note when an author states his/her own opinion. Usually there is a question based on this.

4. When a question asks you to refer to line #... then go directly to that line and put your finger on the screen to mark the spot. Read the preceding line and even a few lines after and then put your finger on the answer choices and cross reference for the best restatement or appropriate answer choice. ETS will not scold you for touching the screen- we pay good money (Give Money And Time) to use their archaic facilities, so go ahead and smudge it up because the test is almost over at this post anyway.

5. Don`t worry so much about splittling hairs on RC timing. I sometimes take as much as 15 minutes to answer 5 difficult questions (including reading) but know that a few SCs will shortly follow and can use those to make up for a little lost time.

6. I can`t remember if the display informs you as to how many questions are allotted to each RC. Also, RCs tend get longer as you score higher, so 60-95 lines is not an impossibility if you are in the V38-42+ range.

Hope this helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
Sorry, didn't look at the specifics the first time.

duttsit wrote:
- what is permissible time to answer RC passage with 5 questions? 10/12?

Total 10 mins.
Read and understand passage - 7 mins
Answer questions - 3 mins

duttsit wrote:
- For speficic questions (according the passage...), is it good idea to go to passage. It surely takes times to go to passage for all answer choices. However, I cannot claim to know this level of detail during initial passage scan?

Scanning the passage and then going back repeatedly to it for each question doesn't work for me. If you understood the passage, it will be a lot easier to go to the passage and get the answer quick for the 'specific' questions.

duttsit wrote:
- when questions asks about meaning of a word/phrase in a statement, do we need to answer in the context of whole passage or only in the context of the statement?

It depends on the question. Concentrate more in the area just above or below the line 'referenced' in the question. Most of the time, that should do the trick.

duttsit wrote:
- during test do we know the number of questions in a passage? If not, what is the average number of questions and avg length of passage I should expect to see in real test?

It is normally 4 or 5 questions. But don't focus on such things. Crave for more questions thru better understanding of the passage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Send PM
GMATT73 wrote:
Coffeeloverfreak has got some great comments on how to "attack" RCs, so hopefully he/she can chime in on this topic.

Well, the advice you posted is pretty good. But if you want some of my comments (thanks for the "great" endorsement), here's a thread with some RC tips:

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=146682#146682

P.S. I'm a she. Just so you know.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks friends for your suggestions/tips. I will surely help me formulating strategy that fits me. The suggestion for "Active reading" from qsr seems pretty interesting. I generally read passage to understand it, as he suggested questioning/dialog during reading might give more insight.

GMATT73 advice on marking "what author says" rather than someone else author brings in neat. I will try.

Thansk Paul,Coffee for your wisdom words.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Can anyone please post the GMAT RC strategies of KAPLAN?
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
dmetla wrote:
Can anyone please post the GMAT RC strategies of KAPLAN?

Hi dmetla,

You want to take notes as you go, focusing on main ideas and avoiding getting bogged down in detail; in our books and classes, we'll provide specific techniques and examples to help you take straightforward, effective notes. In addition to summarizing each paragraph, you want to be identifying the Topic, or big idea, Scope, or focus, and Purpose, or author's reason for writing; these will help you with Global questions and with some inference questions.

Once you've got a quick but solid summary of the passage to refer back to, you tackle the questions. There are four main question types, Global, Detail, Inference, and Logic, plus a few oddballs; each has it's own keywords to identify it and strategies for cracking it.

Unfortuantely, I can't go into much more detail than that, since it would require me to rewrite entire chapters of our books :-). But I'd be happy to address any specific questions about Kaplan's method here or in PM.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMAT Club Bot