Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [26]
Given Kudos: 102
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618844 [9]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31894 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Send PM
Re: How many prime factors does x^37 have? [#permalink]
Hi chetan2u,

Can you please explain "combined it tells us that x has only one prime factor that is itself." ?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31894 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
TARGET730 wrote:
Hi chetan2u,

Can you please explain "combined it tells us that x has only one prime factor that is itself." ?

hi TARGET730

1) statement 1 tells us that 16x has one more prime factor than x^4, which will be same as for x.... therefore it tells us that x is not multiple of 2... insufficient...
the power will have same prime factors as x itself
2) statement 2 tells us that 2x^{16} has two prime factor .... it tells us that that one prime factor is 2 along with one more prime factor...
does not tell us that x also has a 2 in it... insufficient...
this tells us that 2x^{16} has two factors.. one is two and other could be anything.... but x may be multiple of two then x will have 2 prime factors... if x is not multiple of 2 then x will have only one prime factor...

combined it tells us that x has only one prime factor that is itself.... sufficient
now 2 is not in x so x contains one prime factor which can be itself or some root of x...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
How many prime factors does x^37 have? [#permalink]
Here's my explanation, I tried to keep it simple:

The question is essentially asking us if x is a prime, or can be factored into a single prime.

St (1): tells us that 2 is not a factor of x. We know this because if 16(x) has one less prime factor than x, that "one less prime factor" is 2. However, we still do not know whether x is prime or not. N.S.
2^8 =16, for those who wonder how that association is made.

For example:

x can equal 15 which satisfies the condition in st(1), but doesn't solve the problem.

x can also equal 3 which satisfies the condition in st(1) and DOES solve the problem.

St (2) tells us that 2(x)^16 only has two primes. This means that x can be factored into a single prime number OR x has 2 and another prime as its prime factors.

St(1) and St (2) tell us that, working with St(2) first; 2(x)^16 only has two primes. St(1) tells us that 2 is not a factor of x. Therefore x must be a prime number must be a prime number or an integer that can be factored into a single prime number, other than 2.

C.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by ak1802 on 10 Mar 2015, 09:04.
Last edited by ak1802 on 12 Mar 2015, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31894 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ak1802 wrote:

The question is essentially asking us if x is a prime, or can be factored into a single prime.

St (1): tells us that 2 is not a factor of x. We know this because if 16(x) has one less prime factor than x, that "one less prime factor" is 2. However, we still do not know whether x is prime or not. N.S.

For example:

x can equal 15 which satisfies the condition in st(1), but doesn't solve the problem.

x can also equal 3 which satisfies the condition in st(1) and DOES solve the problem.

St (2) tells us that 2(x)^16 only has two primes. This means that x can be factored into a single prime number OR x has 2 and another prime as its prime factors.

St(1) and St (2) tell us that, working with St(2) first; 2(x)^16 only has two primes. St(1) tells us that 2 is not a factor of x. Therefore x must be a prime number.

C.

hi,
it is not necessary x will be a prime number ... it can be a square of a prime number... only surety is that it has only one prime number as factor
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
How many prime factors does x^37 have? [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
ak1802 wrote:

For example:

St(1) and St (2) tell us that, working with St(2) first; 2(x)^16 only has two primes. St(1) tells us that 2 is not a factor of x. Therefore x must be a prime number.

C.

hi,
it is not necessary x will be a prime number ... it can be a square of a prime number... only surety is that it has only one prime number as factor

Yes, you're correct. I stated above that the question is asking if X can either be prime, or factored into a single prime.

[edit] didn't notice the red text on my phone. You're right, error on my part in St(1) and St(2). X must be an integer, that can be factored into a single prime number, other than 2.

Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3127 [2]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM