Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5736 [30]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [12]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 650 Q35 V44
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Cigarette smoking has been shown to be a health hazard; therefore [#permalink]
This is a tough one. Any explanation for A&E?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: Cigarette smoking has been shown to be a health hazard; therefore [#permalink]
I like this question.

A is clearly wrong because content of the advertisement is irrelevant here...
Rest are easy I presume.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [1]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Queen199212 wrote:
This is a tough one. Any explanation for A&E?

(A) Advertisements should not be allowed to show people doing things that endanger their health
Option A is incorrect, as it is valid for ads that SHOW people DOING things that endanger their health.
A cigarette company could advertise its cigarettes WITHOUT showing people who are smoking. In such case, the author's conclusion will not hold true.

Option E, on the other hand, is airtight!
(E) Advertisements should promote only healthful products
As "cigarette smoking has been shown to be a health hazard" - this option is correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Cigarette smoking has been shown to be a health hazard; therefore [#permalink]
Kudos
Lol these are just such arbitrary explanations. Consensus here is that A should be gone because it doesn’t have to show people smoking. E says ads should only show healthful products. Lol so financial products and services that have nothing to do with health can’t be advertised? Lol this is all just gibberish.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Cigarette smoking has been shown to be a health hazard; therefore [#permalink]
sislam04 wrote:
Lol these are just such arbitrary explanations. Consensus here is that A should be gone because it doesn’t have to show people smoking. E says ads should only show healthful products. Lol so financial products and services that have nothing to do with health can’t be advertised? Lol this is all just gibberish.

sislam04, I see your point but A is worse than E for the reasons cited by other members. If E is true, you simply cannot show an advertisement that promotes smoking. If A is true, you could still show advertisements that promote smoking. Also, I kind of agree with your point about advertisements related to health neutral products, but we have to pick the best out of the 5.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
straight A and E

But A has: show people doing things - which is not something that is addressed in the argument.
Hence, E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Cigarette smoking has been shown to be a health hazard; therefore, government should ban all advertisements that promote smoking.

Which one of the following principles, if established, most strongly supports the argument?

(A) Advertisements should not be allowed to show people doing things that endanger their health
(E) Advertisements should promote only healthful products

Cigarette smoking -> health hazard - > ban advertisements that promote smoking.

A can be eliminated as "people doing things that endanger their health" or endangering health is different from health hazard.

A Redbull energy add wherein a Dare Devil is doing stunts in bike is an act where the person is endangering his health but it is not health Hazard.

The question's reasoning structure is that smoking is health hazard hence advertisement should be banned hence A can be eliminated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Hello expert,
Can you shed some light on this question? Especially on A and E. I read through the thread, but sorry I feel a little bit far fetched.
This is an official question and deserves your attention. Thanks
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
Hello expert,
Can you shed some light on this question? Especially on A and E. I read through the thread, but sorry I feel a little bit far fetched.

When I first read, I thought A was probably going to be right, but then I saw E.

It's very tricky! But here's my big advice: read *specifically*, don't assume anything that isn't explicit, and look out for subtle differences in similar ideas (particularly, look for things that NARROW THE SCOPE or BROADEN THE SCOPE of a topic).

The argument says we should ban ALL advertisements that promote smoking. Reread A and see if you can see how A NARROWS THE SCOPE of our discussion:

Quote:

A talks about advertising, and it talks about smoking... but what advertisements would it suggest banning? (Try to answer before reading on).

It would ban advertisements that *showed people smoking*.

What advertisements is the argument trying to ban? *ALL* smoking advertisements.

Do you see the shift?

Advertisers can (and very often do) advertise their product without showing people smoking. It can just be a picture of the cigarettes, or just a picture of the brand logo. The argument needs to ban those, too.

E says "Advertisements should promote only healthful products."

Well if cigarettes aren't healthy, and E is true, then definitely, NO smoking advertisements should be allowed, since ALL smoking advertisements promote an unhealthy product.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
Hello expert,

When I first read, I thought A was probably going to be right, but then I saw E.

It's very tricky! But here's my big advice: read *specifically*, don't assume anything that isn't explicit, and look out for subtle differences in similar ideas (particularly, look for things that NARROW THE SCOPE or BROADEN THE SCOPE of a topic).

The argument says we should ban ALL advertisements that promote smoking. Reread A and see if you can see how A NARROWS THE SCOPE of our discussion:

Quote:

A talks about advertising, and it talks about smoking... but what advertisements would it suggest banning? (Try to answer before reading on).

What advertisements is the argument trying to ban? *ALL* smoking advertisements.

Do you see the shift?

Advertisers can (and very often do) advertise their product without showing people smoking. It can just be a picture of the cigarettes, or just a picture of the brand logo. The argument needs to ban those, too.

Well if cigarettes aren't healthy, and E is true, then definitely, NO smoking advertisements should be allowed, since ALL smoking advertisements promote an unhealthy product.

ReedArnoldMPREP thanks for your response sir. Yes I have known A narrows the scope, but what confused me is: whether such a choice can NOT strengthen the argument? although it narrows some scope.
Pls help. Thank you.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
Hello expert,

Quote:

Do you see the shift?

ReedArnoldMPREP thanks for your response sir. Yes I have known A narrows the scope, but what confused me is: whether such a choice can NOT strengthen the argument? although it narrows some scope.
Pls help. Thank you.

So a good exercise is to make yourself actually write out why you think an answer does what you think it does. Why do you think 'banning advertisements that show people doing something unhealthy' strengthens that 'All smoking advertisements should be banned.'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ReedArnoldMPREP hi sir, this is what I think: I just thought it as a math issue - assume them as 2 sets (option A=set A, while the conclusion=set B), and set A is a subset of set B, as option A narrows some scope of the conclusion. So I think a subset (set A) can support PART of set B (but still support), though can not support the whole set B. Maybe I think too much...
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
ReedArnoldMPREP hi sir, this is what I think: I just thought it as a math issue - assume them as 2 sets (option A=set A, while the conclusion=set B), and set A is a subset of set B, as option A narrows some scope of the conclusion. So I think a subset (set A) can support PART of set B (but still support), though can not support the whole set B. Maybe I think too much...

Banning a part does not strengthen banning the whole. I say 'we shouldn't let anyone draw rectangles anymore,' it doesn't strengthen that argument to say 'no one should draw squares.'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:
Mavisdu1017 wrote:

Banning a part does not strengthen banning the whole. I say 'we shouldn't let anyone draw rectangles anymore,' it doesn't strengthen that argument to say 'no one should draw squares.'

Got you and I will remember. Much thanks for your response and patient explanation.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts