Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:58 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm not suggesting you write a novel or anything. A few scratches of shorthand take only a couple of seconds to write, and can save you loads of time later on searching for answers in a passage.

In RC, a lot depends on how fast you read. I'm probably the wrong person to give guidelines because I have a tendency to speed-read (I finished the verbal section with nearly 20 minutes to spare, so I'm aware I'm not typical...). That said, if you can learn how to speed-read and absorb what you read, it will surely help.

Still, you can do some simple math. Approximately 41 questions in approximately 75 minutes = average of 1.8 minutes per question. If you assume that most RC passages have an average of 4-5 questions, and you'll probably see 4-5 RC passages on your test, then you should spend an average of about 40-45% of your time on RC, which breaks down to approximately 6-7 minutes per RC passage. That means if you spend the first 2-3 minutes reading the passage and taking notes, you'll still have over a minute to answer each associated question.

Or, you can just practice pacing and not worry about it too much; if you know you're finishing within the allotted time on practice tests, then you probably will if you go at the same pace on the real thing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
For all RC, including science-related ones, I always do some scribblings on the paper provided. All I scribble are keywords, concepts, author's positions, etc.

When the questions refer to some of these keywords, concepts, etc. it is useful to refer to the scribbles and see where they are located and how things relate.

Over my prep period, I find that I'm able to scribble better and faster. Initially, I was writing short but incomplete sentences. Then it was in point-form. Eventually, I just write keywords (e.g. "Pre-1900s", "HOWEVER", "union movements", etc.). These keywords are especially useful when specific details are asked but the line #s are not given.

Hence make use of your prep time to master the art of scribbling. This skill should also be useful when you march into the B-sch.

Hope this helps.

- tk
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good points. For me scribbling down always takes time (maybe coz i don't know what to write!) and since it is just a few mins, I rely on the transient memory. Since I have an Engineering background (and also Biology at school), to find Science passages on any test, I consider it a blessing. I totally suck at Literature and History passages. But in general, if you also think taking notes is time consuming, rely on your memory! Once I read any para, I create a mental roadmap of what that para says, what it is leading to (next para), Does the author support/oppose a view...you create the links as you read thru each para. In the end, connect everything to form a chain and this is most important. Once I understand the content and structure, it takes really no more than 2 mins to answer each all the Q. If I get lost in the passage - God help me!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]