Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16841 [40]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16841 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Re: Is the product of integers M and N even? [#permalink]
Wow.. really a thriller question. Took me somewhere around 3 mins.

Solution

The only central idea is to know if either M or N or Both are even numbers.

From Option, B it is quite clear that N= even. [Exactly at that point, I stopped further calculation].

EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
Is the product of integers M and N even?

(1) N can be expressed as a difference of squares of two consecutive prime numbers at least one of which is odd. M can be expressed as a product of two natural numbers P and Q, where 2P + 1= Q.

(2) N can be expressed as a difference of squares of two consecutive prime numbers which lie at a distance of 2 units. M is the sum of all the numbers from 1 to Z where (Z+1) is a multiple of 4.

We will provide the OA in some time. Till then Happy Solving :lol:

This is

Ques 7 of The E-GMAT Number Properties Knockout

Register for our Free Session on Number Properties this Saturday to solve exciting 700+ Level Questions in a classroom environment under the real-time guidance of our Experts! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi tapas.shyam

By 2 consecutive prime numbers it need not neccesarily mean that it would be 2 and 3.According to me, it means that out of primes numbers like 2,3,5,7... the numbers would be consecutive.
Also, in condition 2, M would also be even.
Consider multiples of 4- 4,8,12
So, Z would be 3,7,11
You can check the sum of these numbers using n(n+1)/2. It will be even always.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Naina1 wrote:
Hi tapas.shyam

By 2 consecutive prime numbers it need not neccesarily mean that it would be 2 and 3.According to me, it means that out of primes numbers like 2,3,5,7... the numbers would be consecutive.
So, Z would be 3,7,11

Hi Naina

Thanks for your reply and opinion. However, I think my reasoning is correct as the problem says - 2 consecutive prime numbers atleast one of which is odd. Now, except 2 & 3 there is no other case where we can have an even prime number - so emphasising 'atleast one is odd' in the problem then would seem redundant. In every other case of consecutive prime numbers, we shall always have two odd prime numbers no matter what.

Secondly, in second condition, we don't even need to look into M as once we have ascertained that N is even, we can conclude that M*N shall be even no matter what value of M.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
answer is B. Second one says the two prime numbers is at a distance of two hence "2" is ruled out since the next prime 3 is one away from it and 5 is 3 away from 2. Then the difference between squares of two off terms is even. N is even the value of M doesnt matter.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
Detailed Solution

Step-I: Given Info

We are given two integers M and N and are asked to find if their product is even.

Step-II: Interpreting the Question Statement

The product of two numbers would be even if at least one of them is even. So, we need to find if either of M and N is even.

Step-III: Statement-I

The statement tells us that M is expressed as a difference of two consecutive prime numbers of which at least one is odd. Two cases are possible:

• We know that there is only one even prime number i.e. 2, so, if one of the prime numbers is 2, the other would be 3, which is odd. Squaring them would not change their even/odd nature. The difference of an even and an odd number would be odd, so N would be odd

• If both the prime numbers are odd, then the difference of their squares would be even (as odd-odd= even). So, N would be even.

From the above two cases, we can’t say with certainty whether N is odd or even.

The statement also tells us that M is a product of P & Q where Q= 2P + 1. We can infer from this that Q is an odd number, but we do not have any information about the even/odd nature of P. So, if P is odd, M would be odd and if P is even, M would be even. Hence, we can’t say with certainty whether M is odd or even.

Since, we don’t know with certainty that either of M, N is even or not, Statement-I is insufficient to answer the question.

Step-IV: Statement-II

Statement-II tells us that N can be expressed as difference of squares of two consecutive prime numbers which lie at a distance of 2 units. We know that all the prime numbers except 2 are odd, since the next prime number after 2 is 3, we can say that 2, 3 are not the consecutive prime numbers (as they lie at a distance of 1 unit). Thus we can conclude that N can be expressed as difference of two odd prime numbers. The difference of two odd numbers will be even.

So, N would be even.

Note here that we don’t need to find the even/odd nature of M because irrespective of the nature of M, the product of M & N would always be even as N is even.

Hence, Statement-II is sufficient to answer the question.

Step-V: Combining Statements I & II

Since, we have a unique answer from Statement- I we don’t need to be combine Statements- I & II.
Hence, the correct answer is Option B

Key Takeaways

1. Know the properties of Even-Odd combinations to save the time spent deriving them in the test.
2. There is only 1 even prime number i.e. 2.
3. Odd/Even number raised to any power would not change its even/odd nature

tapas.shyam- when we say that at least one is odd, it means that either both are odd primes or one is odd prime and one is even prime. From the analysis of St-I we can't say with certainty that N is odd/even
Naina1- In statement-II we do not need to calculate the even/odd nature of M once we have established that N is even, as their product would always be even.

Regards
Harsh

Harsh, thanks for the detailed solution. I have a doubt in statement #1 (I am definitely missing something here!). If Q= 2P+1, with both Q and being NATURAL NUMBERS, we can clearly see that Q is Odd. This leads to show that P will then be an even number. Thus, with one of P/Q determined to be an even number >> M=even. So MN = even irrespective of what N is. Thus the OA in my opinion should be D (both are sufficient!).
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16841 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Engr2012 wrote:
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
Detailed Solution

Step-I: Given Info

We are given two integers M and N and are asked to find if their product is even.

Step-II: Interpreting the Question Statement

The product of two numbers would be even if at least one of them is even. So, we need to find if either of M and N is even.

Step-III: Statement-I

The statement tells us that N is expressed as a difference of two consecutive prime numbers of which at least one is odd. Two cases are possible:

• We know that there is only one even prime number i.e. 2, so, if one of the prime numbers is 2, the other would be 3, which is odd. Squaring them would not change their even/odd nature. The difference of an even and an odd number would be odd, so N would be odd

• If both the prime numbers are odd, then the difference of their squares would be even (as odd-odd= even). So, N would be even.

From the above two cases, we can’t say with certainty whether N is odd or even.

The statement also tells us that M is a product of P & Q where Q= 2P + 1. We can infer from this that Q is an odd number, but we do not have any information about the even/odd nature of P. So, if P is odd, M would be odd and if P is even, M would be even. Hence, we can’t say with certainty whether M is odd or even.

Since, we don’t know with certainty that either of M, N is even or not, Statement-I is insufficient to answer the question.

Step-IV: Statement-II

Statement-II tells us that N can be expressed as difference of squares of two consecutive prime numbers which lie at a distance of 2 units. We know that all the prime numbers except 2 are odd, since the next prime number after 2 is 3, we can say that 2, 3 are not the consecutive prime numbers (as they lie at a distance of 1 unit). Thus we can conclude that N can be expressed as difference of two odd prime numbers. The difference of two odd numbers will be even.

So, N would be even.

Note here that we don’t need to find the even/odd nature of M because irrespective of the nature of M, the product of M & N would always be even as N is even.

Hence, Statement-II is sufficient to answer the question.

Step-V: Combining Statements I & II

Since, we have a unique answer from Statement- I we don’t need to be combine Statements- I & II.
Hence, the correct answer is Option B

Key Takeaways

1. Know the properties of Even-Odd combinations to save the time spent deriving them in the test.
2. There is only 1 even prime number i.e. 2.
3. Odd/Even number raised to any power would not change its even/odd nature

tapas.shyam- when we say that at least one is odd, it means that either both are odd primes or one is odd prime and one is even prime. From the analysis of St-I we can't say with certainty that N is odd/even
Naina1- In statement-II we do not need to calculate the even/odd nature of M once we have established that N is even, as their product would always be even.

Regards
Harsh

Harsh, thanks for the detailed solution. I have a doubt in statement #1 (I am definitely missing something here!). If Q= 2P+1, with both Q and being NATURAL NUMBERS, we can clearly see that Q is Odd. This leads to show that P will then be an even number. Thus, with one of P/Q determined to be an even number >> M=even. So MN = even irrespective of what N is. Thus the OA in my opinion should be D (both are sufficient!).

Hi Engr2012, You are absolutely right when you say Q is an odd number as it is in the form of 2P + 1, but if you observe you would see that Q will be an odd number irrespective of the even/odd nature of P as 2P would always be even irrespective of whether P is odd or even.

For example: Consider P = 10, Q= 21, also if P= 11, Q =23. So in both the cases, Q would be odd even when P is even or odd.

Since, we don't know for sure the even/odd nature of P in statement-I , we would not be able to comment on even/odd nature of N.

Hope its's clear :)

Regards
Harsh
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Thanks for the reply. I understand your point but let me present to you another way of looking at the given information. If Q=2P+1, we know for sure that Q will be ODD. Also we can write P= (Q-1)/2 and as Q is odd, P has to be even.

Let me know where I'm going wrong with my thinking!

Posted from my mobile device
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16841 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Engr2012 Assume Q as 7, so Q-1= 6 which is even. If I divide (Q-1) by 2 I would get 3, which is odd.
Similarly, assume Q=9, so Q-1 = 8. If I divide (Q-1) by 2 I would get 4, which is even. Hence, Q can be even or odd.

An even number can be represented in the form of 2n. When this number is divided by 2, the resultant would be n. Now, n can be even or odd. So, we can say that a number when divided by 2 would still be even, if the original number was a multiple of at least \(2^2\) i.e. 4. In this case, we know that (Q-1) is even but do not know if (Q-1) is a multiple of 4. Hence, \(\frac{(Q-1)}{2}\) may be even or odd.

Regards
Harsh

Originally posted by EgmatQuantExpert on 13 Apr 2015, 04:13.
Last edited by EgmatQuantExpert on 07 Aug 2018, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Hi Harsh

Thanks for the reply. Yes, now I understand my mistake. I was ignoring that 6 is an odd multiple of 2, in effect making P both odd and even with different sets of values for Q. Should've been more careful with my assumption.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 391
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GPA: 1.9
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
tapas.shyam wrote:
1) For N, we can surely say that it is odd. Since 2 & 3 are the only consecutive prime numbers, N = \(3^2 - 2^2\) = 5 which is odd.
Form M, we know that M = P*Q where Q is odd. But we don't know anything about P. So nature of M can't be found.
So, insufficient.

2) For N, we can surely say that it is even because difference of squares of any two prime numbers which differ by 2 shall always be even.This is because N = \((X+2)^2-X^2 = X^2 + 4 + 2X - X^2\) = 2X + 4 which is even for any number X.
Since N is always even here so product of M & N will be even no matter what M is.
Sufficient.

So B.

I think consecutive prime number can be 3,5,7,11,13,. Am i Correct. Please clarify.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Kellogg '20
Send PM
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

(1) N can be expressed as a difference of squares of two consecutive prime numbers at least one of which is odd. M can be expressed as a product of two natural numbers P and Q, where 2P + 1= Q.

(2) N can be expressed as a difference of squares of two consecutive prime numbers which lie at a distance of 2 units. M is the sum of all the numbers from 1 to Z where (Z+1) is a multiple of 4.

This is

Register for our Free Session on Number Properties (held every 3rd week) to solve exciting 700+ Level Questions in a classroom environment under the real-time guidance of our Experts :)

Hello,
Thanks for your response but I have a question.
In the first statement, "N can be expressed as a difference of squares of two consecutive prime numbers", only consecutive prime nos are 2 and 3. So doesn't become the case in hand?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SamriddhiPan wrote:
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

This is

Register for our Free Session on Number Properties (held every 3rd week) to solve exciting 700+ Level Questions in a classroom environment under the real-time guidance of our Experts :)

Hello,
Thanks for your response but I have a question.
In the first statement, "N can be expressed as a difference of squares of two consecutive prime numbers", only consecutive prime nos are 2 and 3. So doesn't become the case in hand?

The two consecutive integers, of which both are primes are indeed 2 and 3. But consecutive primes are {2, 3}, {3, 5}, {5, 7}, {7, 11}...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34 (Online)
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35 (Online)
Send PM
Naina1 wrote:
Hi tapas.shyam

So, Z would be 3,7,11

I think your solution can be reframed more elegantly and clearly as follows:

Given: M is the sum of all the numbers from 1 to Z where (Z+1) is a multiple of 4.
\( M = \frac{Z (Z + 1) }{ 2}\)

Since \(\frac{(Z + 1) }{ 2}\) = Even Integer (Given that (Z + 1) is a multiple of 4)
We can conclude that M is even.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts