Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [39]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [15]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [7]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [3]
Send PM
Re: If a number is drawn at random from the first 1000 positive [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
GMATT73 wrote:
If a number is drawn at random from the first 1000 positive integers, what is the probability of selecting a refined number?

1. Any refined number must be divisible by 22
2. A refined number is any even multiple of 11

I think it should be D

1. you can find the number of numbers divisible by 22 and less than 1000 ----> sufficient

2. you can find the number of numbers divisible by 11 and less than 1000 ----> sufficient
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Sorry guys, OA is not D. Any other guesses?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
B?

Somehow I think the wordings are a little tricky.........
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
GMATT73 wrote:
1. Statement 1 tells us that a refined number must be a multiple of 22. This is a necessary, but not sufficient condition for a refined number. While every refined number is a multiple of 22, every multiple of 22 is not necessarily a refined number. Since we have no other info about the definition of a refined number, we cannot determine how many integers from 1-1000 fit that definition. Insuff.

2. Statement 2 provides us with a definition of a refined number- an even multiple of 11. We can find the number of even multiples of 11 in the set, so this is sufficient.

OA is (B)

Isn't (2) just a repetition of (1)?
(2) says the refined number must be an even multiple of 11. So a refined number can be 22, 44, 66, 88, 110,... etc... All these are multiples off 22, which is given in (1).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
GMATT73 wrote:
1. Statement 1 tells us that a refined number must be a multiple of 22. This is a necessary, but not sufficient condition for a refined number. While every refined number is a multiple of 22, every multiple of 22 is not necessarily a refined number. Since we have no other info about the definition of a refined number, we cannot determine how many integers from 1-1000 fit that definition. Insuff.

2. Statement 2 provides us with a definition of a refined number- an even multiple of 11. We can find the number of even multiples of 11 in the set, so this is sufficient.

OA is (B)

GMATT73 I see the point.
..this question has a very good trap.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
good question. I think it is B. I is just a condition but does not define refined numbers.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
what is the point?
I dont get it...(1) and (2) are saying the same thing...I would say such a twisted question will never appear on the GMAT!

believe2 wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:

OA is (B)

GMATT73 I see the point.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1448 [0]
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
what is the point?
I dont get it...(1) and (2) are saying the same thing...I would say such a twisted question will never appear on the GMAT!

believe2 wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:

OA is (B)

GMATT73 I see the point.

the diff b/w 1) and 2) is that in 1) 22 and 44 may be refined numbers. we can calc the prob. 22 44 66 may be refinded numbers as well. the prob to the former example is different but both satisfy 1). in 2) its certain that every mutiple off 22 is a refined number. there is only one value for the prob.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Sorry for starting this old thread, but can anyone please elaborate on this ancient problem? I am still not able to distinguish 1 and 2, apart from considering that one is definition and the other is not. Need examples for clarification.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Marcab wrote:
Sorry for starting this old thread, but can anyone please elaborate on this ancient problem? I am still not able to distinguish 1 and 2, apart from considering that one is definition and the other is not. Need examples for clarification.

I would say it's more about the wording than the math.

Let's make it simple.

1. Any refined number must be divisible by 22

If refined numbers were 44n then (1) would give us wrong numbers. 44, 88, 132 = refined. But (1) doesn't tell us that 22, 44, 110 is not refined.

2. A refined number is any even multiple of 11.

Here we're told the actual definition of refined numbers. They're the even multiples of 11.

11*2
11*4
11*6
and so on.

This doesn't leave any blind spots or confusion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Hello Guys,
This is my first post, I hope you find it helpful.

Now in the question they have asked a no. Is drawn from first 1000 positive integers, and its probability. Def. Of refined no, is given in respective statements. Its all about wordings.

Now,
S1.) Any refined no must be divisible by 22, this include 22, 44, 242, 110, 198,.... and the list goes on, there are definite nos. and nos can be found, but the statement says ANY, which is absurd.
INSUFFICIENT.

S2.) A refined no is any even multiple of 11. This includes 22, 44, 66, 88, 286,484, 968..... and on, here also no can be found but A REFINED NO. IS MENTIONED. This makes it clear a definite no particularly even multiple of 11.
SUFFICIENT.
BASICALLY ITS ALL ON WORDING, YOU DONT NEED TO SOLVE.

ANS B.

WHAT YOU THINK, YOU BECOME.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [6]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos